VC Secret Santa 2018

4 hours ago, backpackoat said:

I personally just upload to imgur--I don't even sign in, just do it anonymously--right click on the picture, click 'copy image address', and just paste the link in my post. The board automatically will make an image out of it for you. You shouldn't have to worry about embedding or HTML or anything.

That's what I do as well but for some reason I can't upload it. I would be more than happy to email or text it to someone. I still don't know who it's from either.

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER, RIGHT?

This is HUGE and heavy...

7i6rwF0.jpg

Note on the outside, this is the second year someone has thought of my son, very very cool!

jtGvV4n.jpg

DUDE!  This is perfect! My son LOVES Nightmare Before Christmas!  And I have a few tapes, but no tape player.  And you got one that I can convert? I actually was going to pick up a deck and figure out how to connect it to my computer, haha, this is great!  And a Cassingle? I don't think I've had one of those since I was seven! So rad.

Then there was a STACK of vinyl, holy shit:

OmqpPFq.jpg

Haha, this is rad.  I didn't know this song existed.  I actually intend to at some point grab all of the Sexyback era Timberlake vinyl so this is perfect.

2o0fx25.jpg

Never heard of this!  Looking forward to checking it out.

K4etVKK.jpg

YES!  This has been in my want list for a LONG time, such a great soundtrack!

41HHf61.jpg

FUCK YEAH this EP is so so good, another item that's been in my wantlist nearly as long as I've collected vinyl!

iFFQcYI.jpg

I've been meaning to pick up some Tangerine Dream for a while now, just didn't know where to start.  Never actually listened to any, but I know by virtue of the number of musicians I dig that quote them as an influence that I'll be in to them.  Really stoked on this one!

GUY, this package is amazing.  I was not expecting nearly this much, and such great picks too!!!  I don't have much to go off, just that my SS is from Cali (and knowing who has been ID'd so far...)  I'm going to guess that my SS is @Dunc?

Edited by daegor

Yes it was me. I got a couple off your want list but based on what you have and like I picked a couple others. Tangerine Dream for the reason you said and zero 7 based on portishead and massive attack. I saw you liked a little Timberlake as well. My niece and nephew love listening to cassettes so... And who doesn't love Peter Gabriel. Plus I think you mentioned in last year's SS your son liked the nightmare before Christmas songs. I was going to include a note but I forgot. Or, I was just too lazy. I can't remember.

The tape player is a great gift for a kid. You can find more movie soundtrack tapes and kids stuff on tape pretty easily and for very cheap at thrift shops and record stores.

A co-worker gave me all her old tapes and a ton of them were animated movie soundtracks that her kids used to play, as well as cultural stories and multi-lingual learning tapes. I set them aside for my future little swbs.  

Awesome gift!

2 hours ago, Dunc said:

Yes it was me. I got a couple off your want list but based on what you have and like I picked a couple others. Tangerine Dream for the reason you said and zero 7 based on portishead and massive attack. I saw you liked a little Timberlake as well. My niece and nephew love listening to cassettes so... And who doesn't love Peter Gabriel. Plus I think you mentioned in last year's SS your son liked the nightmare before Christmas songs. I was going to include a note but I forgot. Or, I was just too lazy. I can't remember.

Great package Dunc, thanks for participating. Lastly let's make sure your giver gets their due. Text me the pictures and I will post them for you and you can write a little blurb. I'll send you a message with my number.

On 12/10/2018 at 4:16 PM, Dunc said:

I got mine today. I was going to wait until Christmas but the package was absolutely destroyed so I figured I better open it. It was fine and I am guessing from swb. I love it. I basically have a record store in my house and didn't have those records and hadn't even heard of that split.  I also have quite a few punk and hardcore picture books and didn't have that one. DJ quik? I'll spin it this weekend and report back but Im sure I will love it.

So this is what I posted when I received my gift. Both records wee great and the book stays on my pub table. Thanks again to whoever it's from.  backpackcoat has been kind enough to allow to text him my pic. I have tried uploading a bunch of times and for some reason I can't do it. Imgur will not allow me to upload it any way other than hidden.

Edited by Dunc

20 hours ago, Dunc said:

Cheers! Definitely going to look for more tapes for him.

Any you nailed it with Zero 7 and Tangerine Dream dude! I'm hooked on both, thanks again!

On 1/5/2019 at 8:13 PM, Dunc said:

So this is what I posted when I received my gift. Both records wee great and the book stays on my pub table. Thanks again to whoever it's from.  backpackcoat has been kind enough to allow to text him my pic. I have tried uploading a bunch of times and for some reason I can't do it. Imgur will not allow me to upload it any way other than hidden.

Xovji67.jpg

@Dunc I'm glad you enjoyed everything!!! I'm so sorry the box came destroyed, I had a feeling it wouldn't hold up, so I packed the inside like a tank. I'm glad you enjoyed the DJ Quik album, I saw you liked a lot of west coast hip-hop so I figured DJ Quik would be up your alley, that's one of my favorites! 

On 1/3/2019 at 7:26 AM, Sasan said:

Sooo, after getting the letter from customs and explaining them the whole idea of VC Secret Santa (they wanted to see a link :lol:), they forwarded everything without me paying any single penny and I received my package today!

First things first: I was SHOCKED by the size of the package and the (to that effect) super-high shipping costs my Secret Santa had!

$67 for shipping this beast to Germany! I'm speechless and also sorry that my SS had to pay such a high amount to make me happy...! :-*

Here's the package:

So, as you can see my Secret Santa is Jared aka @Youinreverse :)

I'm somewhat happy that I didn't have to really find out who my SS was/is, since I'm really bad at guessing and it would only create embarrasing situations :D

After opening the package, I found this letter:

Although it's already 2019, I have to say that it wasn't Jared's fault that I've received the package "this late"...rather German customs bureaucracy! They wrote the customs letter on December, 24. Which means the package has been there for around a week...they are so slow! But I'm really happy to have received it at all...also happened that they just returned it to the sender after reading one of my mails :D

NOW we come to the interesting part!!!

First record: Efrim Menuck's High Gospel!

As a HUGE Godspeed You! Black Emperor I was already going nuts seeing this! I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HE RELEASED SOMETHING UNDER HIS OWN NAME!?!?!?! WTF?! :D Really great start!

Second record: 65daysofstatic - The Fall of Math

It's crazy to say, but I don't own a single 65daysofstatic record at all! Jared was probably wondering what the hell is wrong with me since I have quite a few post-rock records in my collection :D  I do listen to their stuff quite a lot but never thought about buying their records...and can't explain why! I think this is a great start for another great band to enter my record collection and it definitely will not be the last 65dos record!

Basically, these two records made me so happy! I didn't expect anything else or more to come...but this was just the start to a sick secret santa package!

Third record: The Black Angels - Indigo Meadows

I have never heard of them before and just googled them to find out they make Psych Rock! FANTASTIC! I'm really into PsychRock for a few years now and always welcome new bands in that genre! Can't wait to give it a listen!!!

Fourth Record (didn't I say this was a huge package?):  Holy Sons  - Fall of Man

Again a band I've never heard of before! Just googled them/him and listened to "The Fact Facer" (first video to show up)! SOUNDS GREAT! Oh man, can't wait to listen to this...has this fantastic mix of singer/songwriter, experimental, indie...so much new music to discover...love it!

Fifth record (ridiculous, isn't it?): Subrosa - For this we fought the battle of ages

Just look at this beauty! This looks fantastic...so basic! I love these kind of artworks! :wub:

Again a band that I've never heard of! Regarding discogs it's something in the region of Sludge, Doom & Post-Rock! Sounds exactly like something I'll immediately enjoy!!!.......ahhh that artwork....

Sixth Record (holy hell, so many records...): Efterklang - Piramida

I've heard of Efterklang before but never listened to their music at all! But their mix of Post-Rock, Folk & Experimental music will probably be candy in my ears! Can't wait!!

SEVENTH RECORD (I really can't believe I'm writing this!!!): The Kills - Ash & Ice

Again something I'm not familiar with! The artwork looks promising! Didn't google them and want to surprise myself... :)

WOW, JUST WOW, JARED ( @Youinreverse)!!!!

This package has to be the biggest, most generous and thoughtful Secret Santa package that I've ever received!!! I'm still speechless!

Not in my wildest dreams would I've ever imagined that someone sends me SEVEN LPs across the ocean! Not only seven random records, but thoughtful selected music from bands that surely fit in my collection and taste!!! Many bands that I've never heard anything of and I cannot wait to give ALL those records a spin, find out about these new bands and maybe put them into my list of favorites! Jared, thank you so so much for this fantastic package and all you effort (time & money) in putting this thing together for me and send it around the globe! Your gifts truly exceeded all my expectations & dreams!

I hope you and your family had a fantastic Christmas time with your beloved ones and hope the package you received was only half as nice as the one I got!!!

Thanks! :wub: :wub: :wub:

_dsc0214wff6m.jpg

Glad you liked everything and that the package got to you intact!

Edited by Youinreverse

• 1 month later...

Secret Santa lives on!

A couple days ago there was a package from Bullmoose at my door. I haven't ordered a record in a long time so I was a bit confused. Turns out it was another record from my Secret Santa. He told me in the letter that it was coming, and it still caught me off guard

It was a copy of Unwritten Law's self titled. I listened to this band a ton when I was a teenager, so this was a cool blast from the past.

Thanks again ozfacter!

• 8 months later...