Vinyl Blogs

So with the recent lull of activity of modern-vinyl.com (they've announced they're going to switch to an email only format in the future).. where is everyone getting up-to-date news on vinyl? It seems every site I hit is either updated infrequently or only updated with highly obscure stuff no one has ever heard of so it doesn't function as well as a "here's your daily vinyl news" type source.

25 minutes ago, Zeus182 said:

So with the recent lull of activity of modern-vinyl.com (they've announced they're going to switch to an email only format in the future).. where is everyone getting up-to-date news on vinyl? It seems every site I hit is either updated infrequently or only updated with highly obscure stuff no one has ever heard of so it doesn't function as well as a "here's your daily vinyl news" type source.

I rely on this one for 95% of my vinyl needs and updates.  Facebook is a great source if you follow bands and labels, but usually a friend has texted me about a pre-order or it has a thread here by the time I see the post on social media.

Derek is right, though. This forum has proven to be the most diverse and up-to-date source for news on vinyl due to the community-driven format. Most of the vinyl blogs I once read/followed have gone inactive. This guy here from Germany (it's in English though!) is doing a pretty good job, mostly on hardcore/metal stuff with lots of nice informative photos (not that poser kind): rather few new releases, but many personal recommendations that are always worth taking a listen.

9 minutes ago, thefavoriteplay said:

If I'm not mistaken wasn't Modern Vinyl just copying info they would get here on VC and sometimes Facebook sources?  

That sounds about right.  A lot of music sites seem to trickle the info down from VC.  Also, credit where credit is due: Lethalenforcer is relentless with new PO info, and a huge asset to the community.  If he ran a blog and updated it in real-time, I’d probably bookmark it.

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

That sounds about right.  A lot of music sites seem to trickle the info down from VC.  Also, credit where credit is due: Lethalenforcer is relentless with new PO info, and a huge asset to the community.  If he ran a blog and updated it in real-time, I’d probably bookmark it.

That's true about LetalEnforcer. 

Also, frankly, as a huge "The Music" fan I was always bothered by how Modern Vinyl seemed to take the design from the "You Might As Well Try To Fuck Me" EP from the band. 

Thanks for all these recommendations. I am fully aware of the wealth of info on here, and I appreciate it/check it often, but sometimes having a non-forum based source for news is a little more easily digestible on the go. With all of its flaws, MV accomplished those things fairly well so I was just hoping there was another site out there like that. 

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I rely on this one for 95% of my vinyl needs and updates.

34 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yes, this is also my number one source for vinyl information

Totally agree. Be sure to look for the thread about Vinyl Blogs, you'll find a lot of great suggestions in there.