RSD 2019 Limited and First Releases

Here is information on that Peter Gabriel  picture disc - limited to 5,000:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c-Peter-Gabriel-Rated-PG-Record-Store-Day-2019-Info-and-review-s704.html

Rated PG | Peter Gabriel

Peter Gabriel | Rated PG (2019)

Record Store Day: Gabriel releases rare film songs

Throughout his career, Peter Gabriel has provided songs for various films that appeared as background music or in the final credits. Some of them, e.g. Lovetown (from Philadelphia) and The Veil (from Snowden) were also released as singles which spread them a bit further. Other songs were only released on the soundtrack albums. There is, however, a number of songs that were used in films but did not get released on a soundtrack, and it is a big percentage of those that Peter Gabriel makes available for us with this album.

The album Rated PG is produced for the Record Store Day 2019, which celebrates the good old brick-and-mortar record stores. This means that Record Store Day releases are usually NOT available online. The list of releases is long and impressive. Every year special LPs, EPs and singles are produced, or given a special packaging, or pressed in coloured vinyl, or given another kind of makeover that makes it interesting for vinyl fans. Putting out a completely new album for the RSD is a rather unusual event. Peter Gabriel is sort of going this way, though. A list of the releases for this year’s Record Store Day (April 13, 2019) and a list of participating stores can be found on the Record Store Day website.

Rated PG recordRated PG is released as a picture disc on Record Store Day in a limited edition of 5,000 copies. As it is a picture disc, it may be more interesting as a collector’s item than as an audiophile experience. It is good to know that all buyers will be given access to a High Resolution download. As of now there are no plans to make this album available in a different way.

The album contains ten tracks. Some of them are known, but sometimes in other versions:

That'll Do

[1998] Written by Randy Newman.
Performed by Peter Gabriel featuring Paddy Maloney and The Black Dyke Mills Band.
Produced by Bob Ezrin.
Taken from the film Babe 2: Pig in the City.

A promo version of this song made the rounds among fans. It was also part of the (now out of print) soundtrack.

Down to Earth

[2008] Music by Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman, lyrics by Peter Gabriel.
Performed by Peter Gabriel, featuring the Soweto Gospel Choir.
Produced by Peter Gabriel, L.A. Sessions Produced by Thomas Newman. Recorded by Richard Chappell assisted by Mat Arnold. Mixed by Tchad Blake.
Taken from the film Wall-E.

This song is still available from sources like iTunes 

This Is Party Man

[1995] Written by Peter Gabriel, George Acogny and Tori Amos.
Performed by The Worldbeaters and Peter Gabriel.
Produced by George Acogny and Peter Gabriel. Engineered by Richard Chappell and Rod Beale.
Taken from the film Virtuosity, directed by Brett Leonard.
* This is a new version of the song. Previously unreleased.

This is an interesting title. It was called Party Man when the song appeared on the soundtrack. Now it is called This Is Party Man, and a new version of it has been announced. We will find out whether Gabriel has extended the lyrics (the original contained just one verse that was repeated several times) when he have the sound. The soundtrack version is hard to find as the CD version is out of print and there is no digital offer.

The Book of Love

[2004] Written by Stephin Merritt.
Produced by Peter Gabriel with Bob Ezrin. Arranged by Nick Ingman with Peter Gabriel and Will Gregory. Orchestrated by Nick Ingman. Engineered by Richard Chappell.
Featured in the film Shall We Dance?, directed by Peter Chelsom.
* This is the film version of the song, which is different to the version on Scratch My Back.

This is probably the same version as on the soundtrack. Interestingly, the song has been pulled from the iTunes version of the soundtrack.

Taboo

[1994] Written and performed by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Peter Gabriel.
Produced by Peter Gabriel and David Bottrill.
Taken from the film Natural Born Killers, directed by Oliver Stone.
* A new edit of the song, previously unreleased.

The soundtrack contained the song (iTunes) - but this is, apparently, a different and probably an edited version.

Everybird

[2017] Written and produced by Peter Gabriel.
Mixed by Richard Chappell.
Taken from the film Birds Like Us, directed by Faruk Sabanovic and Amela Cuhara.
* Previously unreleased.

The big surprise of the album. As far as we know nobody knows the studio version of this song. It may be the same song that Peter Gabriel has rehearsed as Birds at various soundchecks in 2014 (cf this YouTube Video).

Walk Through the Fire

[1984] Written by Peter Gabriel.
Co-produced by Nile Rogers and Peter Gabriel. Engineered by Glenn Tommey.
Taken from the film Against All Odds, directed by Taylor Hackford.

The very soundtrack for this film a bit of Genesis history, as it contains songs by Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, and Mike Rutherford. There are two versions of this song. The album version of the soundtrack is likely to be on this record. 

Speak (Bol)

[2012] Written and produced by Peter Gabriel with Urdu vocal arrangement by Atif Aslam.
Performed by Peter Gabriel with Atif Aslam.
Engineered by Richard Chappell.
Taken from the film The Reluctant Fundamentalist, directed by Mira Nair.
* Previously unreleased.

A YouTube video spread this song amongst the fans. Rated PG will be the first official release of the song, and we will see whether it is the same version

Nocturnal

[2001] Written and produced by Peter Gabriel.
Engineered by Richard Chappell and Richard Evans. Mixed by Richard Evans.
Taken from the film Les Morsures de l'Aube, directed by Antoine de Caunes.
* Previously unreleased.

This song was set to on Up, or it was meant to come out on it in a very different version. Peter Gabriel finally makes the song, which is very popular with the fans, available officially. We assume 

In Your Eyes

[1989] Written by Peter Gabriel.
Produced by Daniel Lanois and Peter Gabriel. Engineered by Kevin Killen and Daniel Lanois. 
Featured in the film Say Anything, directed by Cameron Crowe.
* This is the film version of the song. Previously unreleased.

Apparently an alternate version of the classic song. We assume it will be thisversion.

A comprehensive review of the album will be published here shortly before Record Store Day.

Except for Everybird, all songs are known in one way or another, though not necessarily in the version from this album.

42 minutes ago, AdamJNovak said:

Does anyone have a tracklist to the Breaking Bad comp? I really don't think I need it, just curious to see what's on it before cutting it from my list of maybe's. 

side a 1. dave porter - breaking bad main title theme (extended) 2. mick harvey - out of time man 3. darondo - didn’t i 4. gnarls barkley - who’s gonna save my soul * 5. j.j. cale - anyway the wind blows * 6. bob james - feel like making love *

side b 1. los cuates de sinaloa - negro y azul: the ballad of heisenberg 2. the black seeds - one by one 3. tv on the radio – dlz * 4. buddy stuart - in the valley of the sun * 5. los zafiros - he venido 6. prince fatty feat. horseman - shimmy shimmy ya 7. chuy flores - pollos hermanos veneno

side c 1. the association - windy 2. quartetto cetra - crapa pelada 3. beastie boys – shambala * 4. alexander - truth 5. fever ray - if i had a heart 6. ana tijoux - 1977 7. walter wanderley - crickets sing for anamaria *

side d 1. whitey - stay on the outside 2. the monkees - goin’ down * 3. nat king cole - pick yourself up * 4. jim white – wordmule * 5. the bambi molesters – chaotica * 6. badfinger - baby blue

* not featured on the breaking bad 10” box-set (movatm235)

Edited by craigeduk

Thanks for posting the video, yeah it's gimmicky POS, but I actually have a 3in record that my auto-return table can't play so I'm interested in this.  However, it looks to me like the spindle is smaller than a standard spindle.  Which would mean you can't play anything that'd not the size of this specific spindle or the adapter size.  That's a really shitty move to try and control the 3in market (huge money maker there :rolleyes:), but I can't imagine it would be too difficult to slip something over the spindle to make it just a little bit larger to fit a regular spindle hole.

53 minutes ago, marc32137 said:

Yeah, it's dumb.. but it would be a cool decoration for my desk at work. Still not worth the money, though.

24 minutes ago, vinny0190 said:

..but I do think it's delightful and would put it on my desk  🤷‍♂️ 

My exact sentiment and what I wanted to do with it. But yea, this thing is definitely gonna break within a couple months I'm sure. And probably not a large amount of 3" going to be released. 

22 minutes ago, museummouth said:

This should be $30 tops

Heard theyre gonna be anywhere from $60-$80 depending on your local shop. 

I read there are 2 versions of the south park vinyl too.  and you don't know which one youll get to you open it.  so super fans who want both are going to have to buy the version they did not get on ebay for inflated prices too. 

vinyl is a bit out of control right now with all the variants and all.  I liked when vinyl was just a mild trend and there was just 1 variant of a vinyl record still being released and most people didn't even know of it.  all these store exclusive colors and extra variants is just too much.  1 super nice variant is enough.

1 hour ago, gutterball1 said:

I read there are 2 versions of the south park vinyl too.  and you don't know which one youll get to you open it.  so super fans who want both are going to have to buy the version they did not get on ebay for inflated prices too. 

vinyl is a bit out of control right now with all the variants and all.  I liked when vinyl was just a mild trend and there was just 1 variant of a vinyl record still being released and most people didn't even know of it.  all these store exclusive colors and extra variants is just too much.  1 super nice variant is enough.

It's not that hard to determine what you'll get though because whatever is numbered 1-2500 is one variant and 2501-5000 is the other variant. Not sure if those are the pressing numbers exactly but it'll at least be easy to figure out which set you'll get

2 hours ago, gutterball1 said:

I miss 2006 too.