RSD 2019 Limited and First Releases

To me, Lost in Translation and The Crow symbolize everything wrong with RSD.

In the case of the former, you have an incredibly sought after, long out of print record that commanded $200+ on the secondary market. Surely those were clues they could have flooded the market with as many as they could press and still sold them?

As for The Crow, it had never been released on vinyl and is chock full of those 90s buzz bands that the vast majority of middle-aged men leading the “vinyl revival” crave. Practically anyone you surveyed would mention it as one of the top 2 or 3 releases of the day, whether they were personally interested in it or not; I’m sure they could have done a better job of meeting the strong demand, which came as a surprise to no one.

Instead they just feed the RSD hysteria that will cause more people to camp out overnight at Amoeba/Bullmoose/Rough Trade/etc next year. I guess there’s no such thing as bad press...

2 minutes ago, richardp said:

I can't believe you all seem to think that neither The Crow nor Lost In Translation will be mass repressed in a few months and will be easily available all over the place. 

That’s entirely possible/probable - I can’t remember if these were listed as RSD first or exclusive - but then why not mass press to begin with and discourage all the flipping and eBay fleecing?

(Obviously that’s rhetorical, we all know the answer, but again that’s why I think these releases signify everything wrong with the event. )

4 minutes ago, richardp said:

I can't believe you all seem to think that neither The Crow nor Lost In Translation will be mass repressed in a few months and will be easily available all over the place. 

Pretty sure most of us think that, but without pure certainty, I'll get this one and call it a day.

12 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

In the case of the former, you have an incredibly sought after, long out of print record that commanded $200+ on the secondary market. Surely those were clues they could have flooded the market with as many as they could press and still sold them?

As for The Crow, it had never been released on vinyl and is chock full of those 90s buzz bands that the vast majority of middle-aged men leading the “vinyl revival” crave. Practically anyone you surveyed would mention it as one of the top 2 or 3 releases of the day, whether they were personally interested in it or not; I’m sure they could have done a better job of meeting the strong demand, which came as a surprise to no one.

Instead they just feed the RSD hysteria that will cause more people to camp out overnight at Amoeba/Bullmoose/Rough Trade/etc next year. I guess there’s no such thing as bad press...

Honestly I want the Crow OST for the same reason I own A Clockwork Orange, Donnie Darko, every AFI album, and the Used s/t. Nostalgia.

33 minutes ago, richardp said:

They don't even need to be repressed. Once the ones that were held up in shipment pop up, these will be somewhat easily available. 

5 hours ago, jackshidt said:

I'm finding lots of scarce titles still available in Europe (Billy Joel, MCR and others), but they come to almost $60 each with shipping to the USA.  That's too much, sorry.  I'll put my last few UK titles on my Amazon want lists and watch the various European Amazon sites.  

Banquet has MCR for much cheaper if you're looking for it still.

Edited by lostcrimes
A word

17 minutes ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Anyone on Eastern U.S. Coast have any experience on a record shipping standard from UK. It's been a minute since I've ordered from overseas. Am I looking at a couple of weeks? A month?

Two week turnaround, but very poor packaging on average.

Expect to pay a premium for a record with a damged cover.  :(

10 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

And now you have places like sound of vinyl selling rsd titles online. It’s lost its way a bit. 

38 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

Drift Records has the Suede, but it is expensive. :o

Oof, yeah. Least expensive I've seen was 35 quid on Banquet but they charged like 18 quid for shipping to Canada. Didnt' stay up until 3am to catch the Norman stock either.

Fuck it, I'm gonna be in Athens in about 10 days. Maybe a record store there has some of the UK stuff, and maybe they'll avoid charging me VAT if I show them my Passport.

11 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

I agree and disagree here. Sure they could make more, but isn’t the limited nature what makes it fun for most of people who love RSD? People look forward to camping out, making lists, taking friends and meeting nee people in line and seeing what they get.

If everyone knew they could get everything they wanted, would they still care about RSD and these releases? Or say “$40 for a 20 year old soundtrack? Ill wait til its on clearance on Amazon..”

At the end of the day, most all of this music can be heard practically free through streaming or buying a used cd for $2(no one listens to ONLY vinyl)..but exclusive limited vinyl is what makes this fun. Its an impulsive, irresponsible, anxious, frustrating, and hopefully really satisfying day for people to share.

And its fun to miss something limited and have a new “grail” to seek out or trade for.