RSD 2019 Limited and First Releases

21 minutes ago, chaz725 said:

I agree and disagree here. Sure they could make more, but isn’t the limited nature what makes it fun for most of people who love RSD? People look forward to camping out, making lists, taking friends and meeting nee people in line and seeing what they get.

If everyone knew they could get everything they wanted, would they still care about RSD and these releases? Or say “$40 for a 20 year old soundtrack? Ill wait til its on clearance on Amazon..”

At the end of the day, most all of this music can be heard practically free through streaming or buying a used cd for $2(no one listens to ONLY vinyl)..but exclusive limited vinyl is what makes this fun. Its an impulsive, irresponsible, anxious, frustrating, and hopefully really satisfying day for people to share.

And its fun to miss something limited and have a new “grail” to seek out or trade for.

Its not even that Lost in Translation & The Crow were even pressed in small numbers, there were 6800 & 8000 respectively. By most pressing standards those were large numbers. If there hadn't been the Warners delivery problems in the US the Crow would have been much easier to find. 

29 minutes ago, nathan_s82 said:

I've never had a problem with records coming from Juno. They usually use standard Record Mailers when shipping to the US.

same, maybe a few corner bumps at most. also had good luck (helped along by sturdy packaging) when ordering from Boomkat and a few smaller record stores in the UK too.

8 minutes ago, ExtraFox said:

Good find on that! Not sure how they can afford to sell it at that price but good to jump on it if you are after a copy in the US, no physical stores were able to do that price for certain! 

Strange pricing all round on the RSD titles they got hold of, U2 is about £10 more than physical stores were averaging!

1 minute ago, craigeduk said:

Strange pricing all round on the RSD titles they got hold of, U2 is about £10 more than physical stores were averaging!

That is weird. I'm fully hoping for that Europa EP to be discounted in local stores here. I kinda want it, but not willing to pay approx 22 bucks for what amounts to a grab bag of recent "stuff" from the last tour & one of those inane Joshua Tree remixes that didn't make the box set.

1 hour ago, armadillo01 said:

That is weird. I'm fully hoping for that Europa EP to be discounted in local stores here. I kinda want it, but not willing to pay approx 22 bucks for what amounts to a grab bag of recent "stuff" from the last tour & one of those inane Joshua Tree remixes that didn't make the box set.

It really looks like a release that will hang about in stores and be 50% off 6 months down the line 

28 minutes ago, dfresh said:

Anyone see Elastica for less than $70CAD shipped?

FYI, it has less tracks than the CD version.  Apparently the CD tracklist would not have fit on 2xLP so rather than add more tracks (the CD wasn't complete) they decided to subtract some. I stopped trying to hunt it down, personally.

45 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

FYI, it has less tracks than the CD version.  Apparently the CD tracklist would not have fit on 2xLP so rather than add more tracks (the CD wasn't complete) they decided to subtract some. I stopped trying to hunt it down, personally.

Same. 

Theres a couple of reasonably priced  copies on Discogs.

Any one get a shipping update from Plaid Room yet? Hoping they're able to ship out this week

Edit: Just got their really nice email explaining they're getting through em! 

I try and keep track of all of the post-RSD shops that put up leftovers online to hopefully visit them at some point. Plaid Room is definitely up there on the list. 

Edited by Multiverse

2 hours ago, Kjm23 said:

Still looking for the two Weezer LP’s from a US distro. If anyone has any leads let me know.

Was hopefully able to get the Teal album thanks to @bridgesii. Appreciate your help more than you know. If anyone had a lead to a decent priced US based copy of Dusty Gems please let me know.

9 hours ago, chaz725 said:

I agree and disagree here. Sure they could make more, but isn’t the limited nature what makes it fun for most of people who love RSD? People look forward to camping out, making lists, taking friends and meeting nee people in line and seeing what they get.

If everyone knew they could get everything they wanted, would they still care about RSD and these releases? Or say “$40 for a 20 year old soundtrack? Ill wait til its on clearance on Amazon..”

At the end of the day, most all of this music can be heard practically free through streaming or buying a used cd for $2(no one listens to ONLY vinyl)..but exclusive limited vinyl is what makes this fun. Its an impulsive, irresponsible, anxious, frustrating, and hopefully really satisfying day for people to share.

And its fun to miss something limited and have a new “grail” to seek out or trade for.

I get your argument and totally understand the other side of the coin. I mean, it obviously wouldn’t be the success it is without the scarcity factor thrown in. But taking that to the next level, what’s the deal with all the releases that no one wants, sitting around gathering dust until they’re marked down during the next Black Friday event? Why is some stuff pressed way under demand and other stuff - often times stuff no one is even asking for in the first place - pressed in abundance? Why not make everything a pain in the ass to acquire and change the name to Flipper Appreciation Day, which is only a few degrees from what it already is?

To my point, this past RSD I went to one of my favorite local shops around noon to see if a rare used arrival they posted on Instagram earlier that week was still available. They weren’t officially participating in RSD and had none of the exclusives, and when I walked in there was literally one other person flipping through the bins. Normally the place is pretty busy on a Saturday afternoon. How do shops like that feel about Record Store Day? Shouldn’t it be called Record Stores Who Buy Exclusives Offered And Distributed By The Coalition Of Independent Music Stores Day?

I’ll admit a lot of the points I’m making are a little tongue in cheek. I stand in line and buy exclusives like everyone else here, and I know the stores that do participate in the event have a great time, both with the day itself and with their bottom line. It just feels like as the “holiday” has grown in scale and popularity, the organizers are having a hard time staying true to their indie roots while catering to the larger shops and major labels, and a lot of fans are suffering in the end.

I may be completely wrong, but I just don’t think when the idea for RSD was originally being throw together, folks camping out the night before at Amoeba waiting to buy a 3” record player so they won’t have to shell out triple the retail price for it on eBay was what they had in mind. 

2 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

I get your argument and totally understand the other side of the coin. I mean, it obviously wouldn’t be the success it is without the scarcity factor thrown in. But taking that to the next level, what’s the deal with all the releases that no one wants, sitting around gathering dust until they’re marked down during the next Black Friday event? Why is some stuff pressed way under demand and other stuff - often times stuff no one is even asking for in the first place - pressed in abundance? Why not make everything a pain in the ass to acquire and change the name to Flipper Appreciation Day, which is only a few degrees from what it already is?

To my point, this past RSD I went to one of my favorite local shops around noon to see if a rare used arrival they posted on Instagram earlier that week was still available. They weren’t officially participating in RSD and had none of the exclusives, and when I walked in there was literally one other person flipping through the bins. Normally the place is pretty busy on a Saturday afternoon. How do shops like that feel about Record Store Day? Shouldn’t it be called Record Stores Who Buy Exclusives Offered And Distributed By The Coalition Of Independent Music Stores Day?

I’ll admit a lot of the points I’m making are a little tongue in cheek. I stand in line and buy exclusives like everyone else here, and I know the stores that do participate in the event have a great time, both with the day itself and with their bottom line. It just feels like as the “holiday” has grown in scale and popularity, the organizers are having a hard time staying true to their indie roots while catering to the larger shops and major labels, and a lot of fans are suffering in the end.

I may be completely wrong, but I just don’t think when the idea for RSD was originally being throw together, folks camping out the night before at Amoeba waiting to buy a 3” record player so they won’t have to shell out triple the retail price for it on eBay was what they had in mind. 

I understand your point and your tongue in cheek points cracked me up because there's something to it. Flippers will always cause a good amount of RSD frustration and I have FOR SURE had my share of salty RSDs lol. The Amoeba line up starting 5PM the night before is completely mind-blowing, but I think the people that do that enjoy it. There must be stores at least somewhat nearby with good amount of stock that a person can get in line 3 hrs before open and get their stuff. A good amount of the time "RSD Exclusive" ends up not even being truthful (stares at my numbered copy of Gorillaz-The Fall from RSD 2011). 

Funny you say that because this year I waited in line at a shop that had a good selection, but about 3 miles down the road, theres another shop who didn't participate. Its his first full year in business so he didn't sign the petition etc in time, but he still posted HAPPY RSD on his instagram and had sandwiches and cookies and stuff out so I went over there....not a single person there, sandwiches just sitting there and the dude just looking deflated. We chatted a bunch, and he was a little bummed, but he also gets that people print out these lists months in advance and salivate over these releases so it is what it is. But its 100% not a holiday of TRUE bin flipping and buying records in terms of what we do the other 364 days of the year. 

We agree it's far from perfect, but the end of the day, in my opinion at least, when you take the good with the bad, it's still a rad day.

3 hours ago, armadillo01 said:

I think I'm going to give up on it too. I love the band but I $40 love the band, ya know?

I know I’m kicking a dead horse with this but the statuses seem to change so much so I have to ask:  does anyone know of a place to get a regularly priced copy of the Crow or know of a place that’s going to be getting some?

I finally got around to hitting up my local record shop (after RSD that posted some seriously inconsistent hours during the week) and the guy working today just gave me an “I don’t know” with not much feeling when asked if they’d be getting any.

1 hour ago, dfresh said:

I think I'm going to give up on it too. I love the band but I $40 love the band, ya know?

Yup, I really do. Scuttlebutt on Discogs is that there are 30 BBC Elastica songs total.

I forgot to mention that the vinyl had 1 exclusive track, Mad Dog, which is a definite draw, but hopefully these stick on shelves and only get bought at blowout prices so the band gets the message the fans would like a 2xLP at the very least.