RSD 2019 Limited and First Releases

12 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

@fish is asking specifically about "RSD Exclusives" (not Firsts) being widely pressed after RSD happens.

Sorry, first reply of the morning and I completely misread that.  I’m dense as hell.

I’m pretty sure a lot of RSD “exclusives” have seen wider presses in the past, or have been RSD-firsts in disguise.

9 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Sorry, first reply of the morning and I completely misread that.  I’m dense as hell.

I’m pretty sure a lot of RSD “exclusives” have seen wider presses in the past, or have been RSD-firsts in disguise.

Yep and in this case the RSD Exclusive is the colour part and not the overall release.

Okay well I'm now pretty sure I've always just misunderstood what a rsd "exclusive" vs "first" was then. But I'm good with that as I'd rather see all this stuff get a wider release if it is just going to be OOP otherwise. But if this is the case I'm actually shocked that way more stuff hasn't been rereleased in different variants after the fact for people to make a quick buck. I know there is plenty of stuff I'd buy from years ago that I missed out out if they repressed them.

Count me as someone who was confused. I was pretty sure the "exclusives" didn't get repressed, but the "firsts" saw wider releases - either as previously issued or slightly altered - shortly after RSD.

For example, I know there was some colored vinyl LP last year on the "first" list that came out on black vinyl a couple of months later, though I can't recall the exact release.

Are people saying that this can also been done with "exclusives" and if so what's the difference between those and "firsts"?

EDIT:

Here's the official Record Store Day description of the different headers. Not sure if this helps clear things up?

RECORD STORE DAY EXCLUSIVE RELEASES. Exclusively available on Record Store Day at Record Store Day participating stores. Will not be available anywhere else in the same format.  

RECORD STORE DAY LIMITED RUN/REGIONAL FOCUS RELEASES. Also exclusively available on Record Store Day at Record Store Day participating stores, but may not be distributed nationally, or the quantities of these titles are EXTREMELY limited. 1000 and under and WAY under 1000 in some cases. We felt it was only right to put them on a special sub-list, so that everyone is clear on the odds. 

RECORD STORE DAY FIRST RELEASE.  These are titles that you can find on Record Store Day at Record Store Day participating stores. So if you’re a fan of the artist, you get first listen. At some point in the future, generally four to six weeks, these titles will be available at other retailers. 
Edited by unknown pleasures

23 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

RECORD STORE DAY EXCLUSIVE RELEASES. Will not be available anywhere else in the same format.  

Yep that's the important part, so a different colour version, or black version they can count as a different format if they want to. The way they describe "firsts" they could release the exact same version elsewhere. Those firsts/exclusive descriptions are pretty much a load of bullshit, in the UK they don't even bother with them. 

2 minutes ago, mkhaytman said:

that's all cool and all, but... to be clear, nobody has an actual source for Lost in Translation getting a wider release coming up, right? I'd love to stop searching for a copy and wait for that release if it were coming. 

Yep no verified source for that, just the Twin Peaks which Amazon has listed

4 hours ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Got my Juno shipment of the Crow OST. It was in a very thin, but apparently very effective, mailer. 

Glad to get this. 

I wish I'd gotten BTNH, but whatever. 

Big thanks to @bootbox for recommending Juno. 

I checked Juno and didn't see it when stuff went up online. When did you grab it. I've always liked Juno's service and prices.

Anyone else get a copy of the Office Space soundtrack that is warped? I don't know how much is acceptable, but Turntable Lab's customer service basically said they generally don't accept returns on vinyl.  The album also doesn't sound great, but I'm not sure how much is the warp vs. the pressing itself.

Video:  https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPPEvzdwi5qKeys15xj1rrTec2uQ65gGVZD0B73 

1 minute ago, weinerdog said:

Anyone else get a copy of the Office Space soundtrack that is warped? I don't know how much is acceptable, but Turntable Lab's customer service basically said they generally don't accept returns on vinyl.  The album also doesn't sound great, but I'm not sure how much is the warp vs. the pressing itself.

Video:  https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPPEvzdwi5qKeys15xj1rrTec2uQ65gGVZD0B73 

Comments seem a bit hit-or-miss on Discogs. I'd try to get a different copy.

https://www.discogs.com/release/13458583-Office-Space-The-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/reviews#c1206991

How did you pay for it? If you used PayPal, tell TTL to go pound sand and initiate a claim via Paypal.

Just now, lethalenforcer said:

https://www.discogs.com/release/13458583-Office-Space-The-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/reviews#c1206991

How did you pay for it? If you used PayPal, tell TTL to go pound sand and initiate a claim via Paypal.

I paid via cc on the TTL site. Here is what they told me to do to try and 'fix' it:

Many records come with a slight warp due to imperfect presses and distributor storage. This problem is easy to correct. Just place your thumbs on the center of the record and flex the edges in the opposite direction of the warp. Rotate, repeat, test on the turntable. Do this a couple times whenever you play the record and it should fix itself.

Seems ridiculous and not an effective way to fix anything. Thanks for your feedback. 

2 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I paid via cc on the TTL site. Here is what they told me to do to try and 'fix' it:

Many records come with a slight warp due to imperfect presses and distributor storage. This problem is easy to correct. Just place your thumbs on the center of the record and flex the edges in the opposite direction of the warp. Rotate, repeat, test on the turntable. Do this a couple times whenever you play the record and it should fix itself.

Seems ridiculous and not an effective way to fix anything. Thanks for your feedback. 

Yeah. TTL have had that "advice" posted on their site for a while, as a subtle nudge for people to not contact them about warps.

Personally, I prefer the alternative method where you put the vinyl on your lap and pet it softly until it relaxes into being flat.

2 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

Update: they are offering a replacment or refund. I'd love to have this ST, but with how this copy is I'm thinking I could very well get another warped one. 

Edited by weinerdog