PO Soon: Less Than Jake - Anthem & B is for B Sides

snowynz

4 minutes ago, trainsaw said:

I mean let’s be real, part of vinyl collection is holding value. I have boxes of cds not worth a shit in a basement. The collector aspect is a selling point of all of this and if it wasn’t they wouldn’t advertise counts to entice sales. Yeah people want the music, but that is readily available and on MUCH more convenient platforms. 

Vinyl is roughly 200% more expensive than the CD that it came out on originally, it’s not a wild thought that someone wants that $30 to hold its value in 10 years rather than be worth .01 of its value like CDs now. You can get use out of the item and still look at it as an investment. That’s how vinyl has been for the last 10+ years. If they’re creating scarcity, the natural instinct is you’re buying something rare and of value. To take your money and remove the scarcity 5 mins later is bullshit. 

Exactly. But get ready for the anti-flippers response...it'll show up in a post or two after this. Classic debate.

12 minutes ago, mmhmm said:

Exactly. But get ready for the anti-flippers response...it'll show up in a post or two after this. Classic debate.

I can see the dislike in flippers, it sucks to see something you want on eBay 10 mins after purchase for twice as much. But that’s the whole game. Bands/Stores use low press counts to get you to click “buy” immediately. Part of the trade off on being first is you have something rare and of value. It’s a fair trade off to me, and don’t see why more places don’t throw up a standard black pressing with no press limitations for those who don’t want to be part of that aspect of vinyl. That way they’ll get to keep their nose up in the air while being “above this whole color vinyl mess”

Edited by trainsaw

I think you are in for the wrong reasons if you expect vinyl To “hold value” other than its intrinsic value. 

I buy records because I want music and I want something tangible. I suspect most are the same.  Usually the argument about value only comes up when something like this happens.

I’d much rather people get what they want rather than not. So changing the pressing details doesn’t bother me.  “Value” of records just ends up being a dick measuring contest and it’s lame

Just now, timsimmons said:

I think you are in for the wrong reasons if you expect vinyl To “hold value” other than its intrinsic value. 

I buy records because I want music and I want something tangible. I suspect most are the same.  Usually the argument about value only comes up when something like this happens.

I’d much rather people get what they want rather than not. So changing the pressing details doesn’t bother me.  “Value” of records just ends up being a dick measuring contest and it’s lame

This. Especially for records that are $60+ on the aftermarket now, it's only driven by scarcity. Eventually, there will be another vinyl crash where people want the space in their homes back and those values will not hold. Not everyone wants to be 60s and have their 2000's pop-punk and metalcore collection in their living room. If you were ever here for the investment, then it's your responsibility to watch for when that crash comes and get out before it's reduced back down to the price of plastic and paper.

12 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

If you want to have a portfolio of value, don’t buy records, buy stocks and index funds. 

Stocks and index funds don’t double their value immediately after purchase.

To ignore or just look past the collector/value aspect of this makes no sense. It goes hand in hand with the music aspect when they created variants/press counts. People have been doing this with vinyl for decades (Beatles presses, Deja presses, etc etc) LTJ is a band that heavily plays on that collectors aspect. If this were just about having something tangible to listen to, they’d press it in black in perpetuity 

Edited by trainsaw

Just now, trainsaw said:

Stocks and index funds don’t double their value immediately after purchase

Because they're stable. I laugh at every time when flippers try to get something and mark it up immediately. Example: Stick to Your Guns Diamond repress. Still available to purchase a few months later at the same price ($25). 7 people are trying to sell on Discogs ranging from $40 to $75. Good luck to them, it'll take a few years to be an "investment", assuming people care about the band a few years from now. Same goes for Bitcoin. It can double one night, and drop back in two days.

1 hour ago, mmhmm said:

I see the sarcasm here but I've read this like three times and I'm still confused what you're trying to say by it lol.

Lol. Mostly that I’m thankful that, for the most part and through sheer luck, I don’t collect records from bands that have a rabid collector fan base, so I don’t get ensnared in situations similar to this (fighting for digital place in line for pre-orders, labels improvising their sale strategy on the fly in clumsy ways, high Discogs prices if you miss the pre-order, unprepared labels doing other silly stuff after they’ve got everyone’s money, etc etc) outside of the occasional dumb National/ R.E.M. RSD release. The latter half of my post was self-deprecation, since I do mostly buy boring music and I pay $24 for new records that sell for $9 on Discogs a week later. 🙂

All that said, I am a LTJ fan and I have bought a few of their vinyl releases but I def tip my cap to people who collect their stuff on vinyl! It’s not easy/cheap!

Edited by Oblivions

8 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Because they're stable. I laugh at every time when flippers try to get something and mark it up immediately. Example: Stick to Your Guns Diamond repress. Still available to purchase a few months later at the same price ($25). 7 people are trying to sell on Discogs ranging from $40 to $75. Good luck to them, it'll take a few years to be an "investment", assuming people care about the band a few years from now. Same goes for Bitcoin. It can double one night, and drop back in two days.

I mean it’s like anything that you can invest in. You know what you’re investing in and understand the value/rarity and know when to sell it if you look at it that way. 

Im just saying at this point you can’t divorce the aspect of collecting and value from vinyl. It’s been like that for a long time. Can’t blame the people who have bought into at part of it when they have press limits and variants to feed that end of it. End of the day (most) people don’t want to have something they spent money on, that isn’t a consumable, massively lose its value. You can care about having it as a tangible product AND being able to have something rare to collect/resell 

Edited by trainsaw

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

Exactly.  And lots of people have been awaiting these represses for a long time.  Now that we've finally got them, people are speculating about future value when they sell them off?  That's fucking silly.

My kids are probably going to be responsible for selling these off after I'm dead, because I have no plans to sell them.

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

If you want to have a portfolio of value, don’t buy records, buy stocks and index funds. 

I've always bought records just cause I love records, and I also have stocks and property and shit. But if the Discogs collection value tally has taught me something it's that my records have actually been my best (accidental) investment (as far as return vs money put in). I personally think it's dumb to look at it as an investment, but if we're being real, I would do very well if I sold all my records today. My stocks and house haven't grown 5x to 10x in value in the past decade, but my Misfits 7"s certainly have. 

JR's response reminds me of an e-mail interaction I had with Vinnie a long time ago about In With The Out Crowd vinyl.  Dude seemed genuinely pissed off I was asking him about colors and pressing numbers.  His responses were really off-putting, but also puzzling given the huge amount of vinyl variants of everything the band has released over the years.  They obviously care about that stuff but ask a question about it and get flamed lol.

Edited by mmhmm

21 minutes ago, mmhmm said:

JR's response reminds me of an e-mail interaction I had with Vinnie a long time ago about In With The Out Crowd vinyl.  Dude seemed genuinely pissed off I was asking him about colors and pressing numbers.  His responses were really off-putting, but also puzzling given the huge amount of vinyl variants of everything the band has released over the years.  They obviously care about that stuff but ask a question about it and get flamed lol.

So weird, he's usually been my go to when I have questions about that kind of stuff. 

It’s weird to me to that that was his response. So if that’s the logic, then Warner Bros is giving them an unlimited number they can press, or they fully reclaimed the rights. In either case, they should’ve used the same technique they used to garner that deal, with Capitol, and press more Losing Streak and Hello Rockview. Amirite??