PO: La Dispute - Panorama

3 hours ago, ethereal said:

"this is the best work I have ever done and I am so proud"

-Will Yip on any album he mixes/produces

you're not progressing man....

I’m not anti-Yip like most people here but this is soooo true haha.  Every post he makes on IG just makes me roll my eyes.  I get wanting to hype an album but come on now.

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/13/2019 at 4:14 AM, mrewest said:

I’m not anti-Yip like most people here but this is soooo true haha.  Every post he makes on IG just makes me roll my eyes.  I get wanting to hype an album but come on now.

I'm not anti-Yip too but often i really don't like how this guy mixes.....

Edited by daniele

If you liked Rooms of the House, I'm fairly confident that you'll like this LP. It definitely feels like a progression from that album rather than their earlier work. They picked bad singles for this too. The non-released tracks are bangers. "Fulton Street II" and "Anxiety Panorama" in particular really hit.

I agree with the post above though. I don't always hate on Yip, but wow, the vocal mixing is awful on this. I've had to turn up the songs a few times to hear Jordan, and then, the guitars are WAY too loud. That said, I really like this one. La Dispute didn't disappoint.

18 hours ago, cantdance said:

Possibly. I just disagree with it. It’s musically great but the mixing is awful. Just a disappointing case of missed potential imo.

Yeah I agree with ya there

Edit: Real shame because I thought the mixing for Rooms was fine and dandy

Edited by AdventureIsOutThere

We'll see. It's really hard for me to judge their albums at face value any more since ROTH took a long time to grow on me. I've listened to the leak a few times now and enjoy it like a 7/10. But I'm waiting for the physical vinyl so I can sit down, read along, etc and wager that will increase. It was the same for The Hotelier "Goodness". That album was good, but the first time I sat down, read the lyrics, completely different.

4 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

We'll see. It's really hard for me to judge their albums at face value any more since ROTH took a long time to grow on me. I've listened to the leak a few times now and enjoy it like a 7/10. But I'm waiting for the physical vinyl so I can sit down, read along, etc and wager that will increase. It was the same for The Hotelier "Goodness". That album was good, but the first time I sat down, read the lyrics, completely different.

Amen dude, I'm looking forward to this one...I don't think any of their albums will ever top Wildlife for me though. I have to be in the right mood to listen to that record though because it fucking destroys me. 

I really really need to revisit rooms of the house

• 3 weeks later...

Still haven't gotten a shipping label. Listened to it even more times, I'm split on it. If you haven't, check out the "video game" panorama that they put out. It actually helped me understand a lot where they were going with all the lyrics. That we think we're alone on some journey of sorrow, and then we run into hundreds of other people taking the same march. Also "Anxiety Panorama" straight up gave me anxiety when you load into just a giant blob of pointy things. It's donation only, so you could technically check it out for free.

11 minutes ago, V3XED said:

I am willing to bet the cover is better than the mix. 

I've only been listening through bandcamp but really can't find anything to complain about with the mix. The two points I have seen here are "guitars are too loud" and "vocals are too low" but I do not find this to be the case for two reasons: 1. they're not and 2. I seem to be in the minority of music listeners who mostly takes the music released by "serious" bands as "as is" and accept that it is intended to be this way. It is unlikely that La Dispute have released this in a state that they didn't believe was how the music was intended to be experienced. I refuse to project my expectations or tastes onto the music someone else creates; life is too short to be that asshole.

To contradict myself though, I do think the cover art is lifeless (in deep conflict with the music on the album). I am curious on your thoughts on the music and production when you finally get around to listening though.

Anyway, anyone hear anything about a tour press yet?