PO: La Dispute - Panorama

Got my Amethyst Bundle copy in yesterday. 1) Looks a lot better than I had hoped for. Rather than like a "clear with purple smoke" it's more of an "dark opaque purple with pink streaks".

Book also came out pretty nice. Didn't get to read it, but should be good. There's a section for each song, instruments used, etc, and the first one I opened to listed "Fidget Spinner" as an instrument. Now I'm going to have to listen to that track until I hear it ha.

2 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Got my sapphire purple from DW in the other day. Overall the pressing sounds phenomenal, but my copy has a brutal section of popping/snapping/crackling through "In Northern Michigan," rendering that track pretty much unlistenable.

I’d say that makes it not phenomenal 

On 4/1/2019 at 9:29 AM, omik11303 said:

Got my sapphire purple from DW in the other day. Overall the pressing sounds phenomenal, but my copy has a brutal section of popping/snapping/crackling through "In Northern Michigan," rendering that track pretty much unlistenable.

Finally got the same variant in today & I had the same exact issue.  So it’s definitely a defect.  Bummer.  Probably the worst song for that to happen to.  

Other than that the pressing sounds really good, although I think the vocals sound twice as buried here.  That didn’t bother me as much on the stream but wow it’s glaring on vinyl.

Despite all that, hearing it on vinyl for the first time is making me like the album more lol.  So go figure.  

So after giving this a couple listens, I’m pretty “meh” on it.

Part of it has to do with how low the vocals are in the mix, and the other part is it really seems like the same old, same old from them.  Like really, there’s nothing on here that stands out from anything on their last release.  I guess for me, at this point, they need to do something to change up their sound/style or I may just be out after this.

Edited by Rip

46 minutes ago, bridley said:

I'm in Canada, shipping price will be more than the album, and even the album will be more than on the US stops. Let me know and I'll see if they'll sell me two.

Haha thats fine for me, I live in Singapore and is used to paying whack shipping to buy records. Thanks buddy!! Let me know!

• 1 year later...

La Dispute has new Patreon to help support them. They'll be writing new music for the Here, Hear series, documenting that with video and podcast. Donating gets you access to exclusive merch, which while I can't speak for them hopefully includes a vinyl press of this new one since they've always been released that way.  There's no difference in rewards/tiers besides supporting them.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, tokimedo said:

its befuddling to me that they released a Panorama remix album...like.. what? 

Oh yeah... I purchased it and have really only gone back to it like twice? That said, don't know if you can still get it, but the video game they made for the album was kinda cool. Fun way to force yourself to read the lyrics.

• 2 months later...

https://www.hellomerch.com/collections/la-dispute/products/panorama-blu-ray

Interesting. Not sure I've seen an artist do this in recent memory. Blu-Ray up for preorder that contains the entire tracklist and all 4 Music videos all mixed in 5.1 Surround sound and 24-bit PCM. A little pricey but could that potentially the best sounding version of the album.