PO NOW: HEALTH - VOL 4 :: SLAVES OF FEAR

Announcement and new track/promo went up just over an hour ago, along with a tour announcement. http://www.youwillloveeachother.com 

The album (which is NOT the collab tracks they've been posting the last few months, which really needs it's own release) is on red vinyl or black vinyl, on cassette, and bundles with a shirt. Releases Feb 8th 2019.

https://thehyv.shop/collections/health

IMB_9jkDmk.gif

US-TOUR-2019.jpeg

As usual, call the number to talk to the band.

Edited by SNEAKORDS
reasons

13 hours ago, SNEAKORDS said:

Looks like the album (which is NOT the collab tracks they've been posting the last few months, which really needs it's own release) isn't in their store yet even though it says "available now". On red vinyl or black vinyl, on cassette, and bundles with a shirt.

Kinda figured this album would feature those collabs and more. I hope they end up releasing those at some point.

1 hour ago, ex lion tamer said:

Kinda figured this album would feature those collabs and more. I hope they end up releasing those at some point.

Same. Unless they renamed the tracks, none of the collabs are on the track listing given. I have a feeling if they do release it it’ll prob just be digital only (I still want them to put out pt2 of DISCO3 on vinyl and FLAC).

I bet if someone calls their number to ask they’ll probably say if they’re going to release those tracks.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, bubb4 said:

It looks like the version on their site is sold out. Anyone know if the copies on bullmoose and other retailers are the same colored vinyl or a standard black pressing?

Still available here: https://bodega.lomavistarecordings.com/collections/health/products/health-vol-4-slaves-of-fear-limited-edition-red-lp-wav-digital-album

3 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Wow just finished listening to this.  Friggin killer.  Immediately ordered the tape.  Never listened to these guys before.  Where should I go next?

Backwards.  This album is the louder, darker version of Death Magic, which shares a lot of similarities but has a few slower and significantly poppier tracks.  (But is still quite enjoyable.)  If you work even further back, you’ll get into their noisier, less structured releases which are quite a big departure from their current sound.

34 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Backwards.  This album is the louder, darker version of Death Magic, which shares a lot of similarities but has a few slower and significantly poppier tracks.  (But is still quite enjoyable.)  If you work even further back, you’ll get into their noisier, less structured releases which are quite a big departure from their current sound.

Right on I’ll do that.  Thanks!

21 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Loving this album. 30 shipped for the red single LP is a bit pricey though. 

Do we know if this has a pressing # attached or if it'll be in indie stores? 

Think it is a website exclusive. Indie stores seem to only carry black.  Red is sold out on the bands website but the labels website has some copies left.  Dont know a pressing  number though. 

I've only listened to the album once completely so far. I dug the singles, and I like the album as a whole, but it's pretty same-y throughout. I think I still like Death Magic more.

As for where to start with Health? The singles. That includes the recent collabs, Euphoria off of Disco3 (which may be my favourite track), and some of their remixes (like stuff for Crystal Castles). There are a lot and they're all over the place, plus they generally have great videos. Then I'd say work backwards on actual albums, from this one to the first album, and then do Disco 3/3+/2/1.

**oh yeah, I got the download code for the album last night (glad that they're finally including FLAC), and the shipping notification for the red version came today.

Edited by SNEAKORDS

38 minutes ago, SNEAKORDS said:

I've only listened to the album once completely so far. I dug the singles, and I like the album as a whole, but it's pretty same-y throughout. I think I still like Death Magic more.

As for where to start with Health? The singles. That includes the recent collabs, Euphoria off of Disco3 (which may be my favourite track), and some of their remixes (like stuff for Crystal Castles). There are a lot and they're all over the place, plus they generally have great videos. Then I'd say work backwards on actual albums, from this one to the first album, and then do Disco 3/3+/2/1.

**oh yeah, I got the download code for the album last night (glad that they're finally including FLAC), and the shipping notification for the red version came today.

Agreed that it doesn’t fluctuate too much (NC-17 feels like a breather right in the middle of the record, and Decimation is a fresh closer.)  But I think I’m okay with it because they’ve really tamed that one trick pony they’re sticking to.  It’s like a full album of the best moments on Death Magic for me.  Not that I don’t enjoy their slower methodical songs or surgery sweet pop tracks – Life and L.A. Looks come to mind – but to me, Vol. 4 just feels so much more focused and cohesive.

6 hours ago, mrewest said:

Yeah I did check it out the other day.  Definitely the “light” version of this one.  Nothing stood out as much initially as this but it was admittedly a casual listen.  Need to revisit.

I'd try it again.  There are some slow burners that I appreciate some days more than others, but it has some gems too.  Salvia is such a sweet interlude and never fails to get me hyped.  Really showcases just how visceral the live drums are in their sound – I think I would ultimately enjoy this band a lot less if they used triggers instead.  Flesh World (UK) is a straight up club jam with some skittish, gritty production... but I can't deny how infectious that chorus is.  A lot of the borderline-commercial-ready pop tracks in the back half are refreshing, if not a little jarring for the first few listens.  Oh, and I'll always have a soft spot for New Coke, simply because it (and its respective "drop") made me pay a little more attention to this band and follow their releases.  It also features a music video with a finale that's equal parts disgusting and mesmerizing, if that's something you'd be interested in.

And on the subject of unsettling HEALTH music videos, I may as well mention this one.  I don't know if you've backtracked further than Death Magic, but this was the song that got me into their critically acclaimed "best album", Get Color.  Definitely not work appropriate so I'm going to toss it in a spoiler tag.

Once Death Magic was released, mid-tour cycle, they lost one of their band members who was guitar / key duty.  No real explanation even after the last 3-4 years, but I think his absence has propelled the band into a more guitar driven sound which I'm on board with.  It's quite possible that he contributed to more of the experimental, avant-garde angles of their earlier work, and wasn't happy with the direction they were taking... but it's tough to say for certain.  All I know is that those over-the-top riffs – the ones that Pitchfork chastise in their yikes-worthy 3.4 review – are fun as hell.  Lyrically, stylistically, compositionally... HEALTH are not a profound band that scholars will be referring to for decades to come.  They never were.  But their latest direction has been a blast to both explore and revisit, and that works for me.

@ Derek 

(Gumbo was right you can’t be found when trying to tag lol)

Just finished Death Magic again & it definitely stuck with me more this time around.  The opener bangs like Vol 4 but there is good stuff all up & down the album.  I actually really dug the last 2 songs.  As you said, more of a poppy vibe but it sounds great to finish it off.

One thing I’m having a hard time adjusting to in general is how much the singer reminds me of Chadwick from Hundredth’s “nugaze” voice.  He’s all I can think of haha.  

But yeah I’ll have to keep digging backwards into this band.  It’s a nice departure from most of what I listen to, although I’ve been into more “noise” lately.  But HEALTH is definitely more than just “noise”.

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

One thing I’m having a hard time adjusting to in general is how much the singer reminds me of Chadwick from Hundredth’s “nugaze” voice.  He’s all I can think of haha.  

HA! Love that comparison. :D 

Really do recommend the Max Payne 3 OST if you just want instrumentals. That OST bangs and is criminal there's no vinyl of that. 

8 hours ago, mrewest said:

Reminds me of the lead singer of Silversun Pickups.  

I am also checking out this band for the first time.  I like what I'm hearing.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:19 PM, mrewest said:

Yeah I did check it out the other day.  Definitely the “light” version of this one.  

I have the exact opposite opinion. SLAVES OF FEAR feels like a lighter, kind of watered down, version of DEATH MAGIC.

DM was immediate for me, this one will be a grower.

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, SNEAKORDS said:

i just talked to the guys in the band and they said that the Max Payne 3 soundtrack is coming out on vinyl later this year, they’re just waiting on Rockstar to get things finalized.

Now that's some news.  Did not play that installment of MP but am quite familiar with how big of a deal HEALTH's soundtrack is.  I had heard that was in the works for a while now but it's great to have a solidified estimation from the band themselves.  Thanks for sharing.