PO Now: American Football - LP3 (3/22/2019)

zaoza

eh I don't even remember how the variant was described - if it was described as a translucent blue with splatter and turned out like that yeah that's shitty but I think it was just light blue with splatter so I just assumed it was an opaque base and most splatter attempts on that type of record are always either too streaky or not streaky enough

since the NB one is a clear with splatter it'll probably look a lot like its mockup

3 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

I think the EB/PV variant looks fine :/

There’s nothing inherently “wrong” with it, and I hope I don’t sound like I’m upset with Polyvinyl or that we’ve been duped.  Most of us have been on the boards long enough to know that mock-ups aren’t always a guarantee of the final product, right?  And things like swirls and splatters can be a little ambitious with mock-ups, typically.  I wouldn’t have said anything about it if there weren’t other variants out there to purchase.  There are options to consider, which - for me - makes it a different animal than ordering 1 colored variant, and then shrugging when it doesn’t come out as intended.  (But still feeling grateful that I was able to get in on a limited colorway.)

There’s only like 2-3 of us being sticklers and overly weird about the variants... I would not let us speak for any larger demographic, hah.  I know it’s super petty and weird and way too particular... but if it’s not discussed on a forum called Vinyl Collective, I don’t know where else I’d bring it up.

tl;dr: don’t mind me or Dan.  Neither of us are disappointed with Polyvinyl.

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

There’s nothing inherently “wrong” with it, and I hope I don’t sound like I’m upset with Polyvinyl or that we’ve been duped.  Most of us have been on the boards long enough to know that mock-ups aren’t always a guarantee of the final product, right?  And things like swirls and splatters can be a little ambitious with mock-ups, typically.  I wouldn’t have said anything about it if there weren’t other variants out there to purchase.  There are options to consider, which - for me - makes it a different animal than ordering 1 colored variant, and then shrugging when it doesn’t come out as intended.  (But still feeling grateful that I was able to get in on a limited colorway.)

There’s only like 2-3 of us being sticklers and overly weird about the variants... I would not let us speak for any larger demographic, hah.  I know it’s super petty and weird and way too particular... but if it’s not discussed on a forum called Vinyl Collective, I don’t know where else I’d bring it up.

tl;dr: don’t mind me or Dan.  Neither of us are disappointed with Polyvinyl.

I wasn't putting anyone on blast, just saying I personally don't think it looks bad. We live in a society where people voluntarily drive around in ugly ass burnt orange cars. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that jazz.

2 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

I wasn't putting anyone on blast, just saying I personally don't think it looks bad. We live in a society where people voluntarily drive around in ugly ass burnt orange cars. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that jazz.

No harm no foul.  I didn’t feel attacked by you or anyone else; I’m just self-aware enough to know how ridiculous it is to write 3 paragraphs about the pattern of a splatter on a piece of vinyl, and wanted to acknowledge it.  And also clarify that I don’t feel slighted by Polyvinyl or anything like that.

Super impressed this still hasn’t “properly” leaked — quite a departure from the early-leak game I’m used to.  At this point I think I’m just going to wait, too.

13 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Super impressed this still hasn’t “properly” leaked — quite a departure from the early-leak game I’m used to.  At this point I think I’m just going to wait, too.

I listened to the LQ copy approximately 2 times. Now it’s on my phone and tries to start every time I start my car. The urge to keep listening is real.

9 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

I listened to the LQ copy approximately 2 times. Now it’s on my phone and tries to start every time I start my car. The urge to keep listening is real.

Silhouettes is such a cool note to open on.  What did you make of those 2 listens so far?  Couldn’t have been too bad if you’re triple-dipping on variants, right?

8 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

I looked through the thread and may have missed it, but does anyone know what variant the bullmoose indie is? Thanks in advance and apologies if it’s somewhere obvious 

Banquet is listing their indie exclusive as blue for what it's worth.  Not sure if that's the same for Bull Moose or not.

11 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Just got my shipping notice from PV!

What a wait it’s been.  Haven’t stopped thinking about all the high praise and accolades from first impressions in this thread.  Can’t wait to finally hear this thing.  You do know you gotta’ keep up with all future variants now, right? ;)

23 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I really want to hold strong but you guys are making this tough.  Earbuds at work are not nearly as ideal, but I only received a shipping notification yesterday afternoon and this next week will be an excruciating wait.

You’re right there man, keep edging

45 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Report back with your first impressions 

100% in to this.

I loved LP2 more than LP1, and sonically, I find this finds the sweet spot between the last two albums.

I need to sit down with this when I'm not at work and give it a deeper listen, but for now I do not regret ordering this from BSM.