[PO] HOLY FAWN – Death Spells

Derek™

3 minutes ago, CatsNJazz said:

I got mine on friday but just listened to it last night and I have a huge scratch on side c across all the grooves and it hisses all the way through and skips on the second song. Side D is equally scruffy but hard to tell because I have the clear variant. I order through deathwish so I doubt they could send me a replacement. Same thing happened to me with the Slow Crush record because of the way they shipped them. Huge bummer

Basically the same boat.  A, B, and D are flawless after careful inspection.  (I went with the clear, too.)  Already dropped Holy Roar a line... partly to see what can be done about a replacement, if at all, but mostly to plead that they stop shipping product like this.  Tried to keep it extremely polite while also making it clear that it's a wide scale problem, and not just a finicky collector's gripe.  I was part of their subscription service for a while and they were incredibly good / thoughtful / pleasant about answering any questions I had or fulfilling requests.  Fingers crossed that their questionable shipping methods will quickly become a thing of the past.

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

**sigh**

On 2nd listen, mine is scratched to fuck.  I finally got past Side A and it's loaded with scratches lol.  THWACK THWACK THWACK.  I got a big streaky one like posted above also. 

Gonna see if DW has some backups....

yep same here, I thought it was only one disc for me but it looks like the entire album is fucked. there’s a timed “tick” on every track due to scratches.

DW is sold out but said they are getting more at some point, which I opted for. 

Holy Roar seriously needs to fire whoever greenlit this packing idea... cuz he/she willingly ruined the entire pressing  (for the most part) and most of slow crush as well :rolleyes:

Still zero response from Holy Roar yet, which is weird since they've always gotten back to me within 48 hours or so of writing them.  DW were just a US distro for this release, so I highly doubt they'd have replacement copies sitting around.  (And even if they did, it'd be same dice roll to get a copy that wasn't scratched.)  Really hope they can rectify it somehow.

11 minutes ago, The Butcha said:

Welp, getting a refund from DW. Lame. 

:(

maybe they'll have some at the show? If you end up not making it I'll check out the merch booth, but I'm taking a Lyft, so I'd probably wait until pretty late to pick anything like that up. It's been a rough week and I need to cuuuuuut loose.

23 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Still “in transit” :angry:

Yeah you're not getting that until next Tuesday XD XD

I heard back from DW and Holy Roar.  Holy Roar wants me to get pics and video which I'm doing tomorrow; Deathwish offered a refund.  Deathwish also confirmed that Holy Roar will now be using black poly-lined sleeves for all future releases. 

If Holy Roar can get me a copy I'll be good, I don't want to be scamming labels out of extra stuff.  I would feel bad about getting a refund from Deathwish and a copy from Holy Roar but I guess we'll see what HR says :X

I'll chime in on the record shipping fiasco. Got mine in last week and opened up the package and the records were just chillin outside of any kind of sleeves and just smushed between the jacket. I've never had a record ship like that before. I've been too busy to play it but I'll have to get around to it tonight and check out the vinyl too. Bummer.

I have the big radius scratch too; that doesn't affect playing but that must be what the label referred to when they said they were aware of some manufacturing defect in "some copies".  Like, don't fucking send them if it's not perfect. 

The thwacks are caused by that geometric scratch shit that looks like some scribbled with an exacto knife on the record. 

9 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

The thwacks are caused by that geometric scratch shit that looks like some scribbled with an exacto knife on the record. 

I have one of those too.

Still haven’t received so much as a courtesy reply from Holy Roar.  Really disappointing.  Maybe they blacklisted me after I cancelled my sub.

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I have one of those too.

Still haven’t received so much as a courtesy reply from Holy Roar.  Really disappointing.  Maybe they blacklisted me after I cancelled my sub.

Maybe.  I mean, honestly... I hate being a Karen but who the fuck ships records outside of sleeves.  I had a guy do that to me with my copy of A Determinism of Morality that I spent like $50 on and I was ready to reach through my computer and strangle him. 

It takes me like 20 mins to pack a record cuz I'm so OCD about making sure it's padded enough and snug enough and I do shake tests and all this nonsense lol.  I pack that shit the way I want to receive it. 

Maybe some people really don't care that much? 

1 minute ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Maybe.  I mean, honestly... I hate being a Karen but who the fuck ships records outside of sleeves.  I had a guy do that to me with my copy of A Determinism of Morality that I spent like $50 on and I was ready to reach through my computer and strangle him. 

It takes me like 20 mins to pack a record cuz I'm so OCD about making sure it's padded enough and snug enough and I do shake tests and all this nonsense lol.  I pack that shit the way I want to receive it. 

Maybe some people really don't care that much? 

Don’t believe that’s the case.  I just think they genuinely have their priorities misaligned, with the presumption that more people care about the integrity of their paper sleeves than the condition their LPs arrive in.