White substance on my turntable?

I was gonna throw on my Billie Holiday record but when I opened my turntable, I noticed a white film or substance was pooled around the turntable shaft. It had no scent and it was greasy to the touch. I don’t know what it is and I can’t find anything on it. I don’t really wanna play my records because I don’t wanna get any gunk on the records. I have a Victrola Bluetooth Turntable. The model is VSC-550BT. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I’m quite new to the hobby as I’m sure you can tell. Thanks for your time.

Edited by Collin73162
More in depth detail

On 12/28/2018 at 11:08 PM, Collin73162 said:

I was gonna throw on my Billie Holiday record but when I opened my turntable, I noticed a white film or substance was pooled around the turntable shaft. I don’t know what it is and I can’t find anything on it. I don’t really wanna play my records because I don’t wanna get any gunk on the records. I have a Victrola Bluetooth Turntable. The model is VSC-550BT. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I’m quite new to the hobby as I’m sure you can tell. Thanks for your time.

Please don’t reply with unnecessary comments. If you can help me, that’s greatly appreciated. If you can’t, there’s no need for extra comments. Thanks again.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:08 PM, Collin73162 said:

I was gonna throw on my Billie Holiday record but when I opened my turntable, I noticed a white film or substance was pooled around the turntable shaft. It had no scent and it was greasy to the touch. I don’t know what it is and I can’t find anything on it. I don’t really wanna play my records because I don’t wanna get any gunk on the records. I have a Victrola Bluetooth Turntable. The model is VSC-550BT. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I’m quite new to the hobby as I’m sure you can tell. Thanks for your time.

on a srs note...its more than likely grease coming out. White lithium grease is a very common lubricant on small moving parts. you can probably lift the platter and belt off to see better. most machines, if required, have labelled greasing points for routine maintenance. if thats not it...no clue!

4 hours ago, kjkenney said:

on a srs note...its more than likely grease coming out. White lithium grease is a very common lubricant on small moving parts. you can probably lift the platter and belt off to see better. most machines, if required, have labelled greasing points for routine maintenance. if thats not it...no clue!

Thanks for the info! I’ll check it out. 

22 hours ago, Collin73162 said:

Nope! Just don’t appreciate smartass comments like yours. 

How's it feel to be a full fledged cunt after four comments?

I'd be more worried about playing them at all on that thing. Tbh the white cum gunk can only help, any barrier between your poor records and that prison shank you call a stylus has to be an improvement.

And before you come in with your self-white-knighting about prices, a cheap AT LP60  table is identical in price to your model. The "high-end"  Victrola models are actually about $30 more than the AT LPone20 (my one key is broken)

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

19 hours ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

And before you come in with your self-white-knighting about prices, a cheap AT LP60  table is identical in price to your model. The "high-end"  Victrola models are actually about $30 more than the AT LPone20 (my one key is broken)

Oh my I didn't even read what turntable they were using.

They deserve all the crying baby photos now.