PO: Beach Slang - MPLS EP

jhulud

PO on 1/29. Presumably on Polyvinyl. It'll be out via Bridge Nine's new imprint label Quiet Panic.

"MPLS EP The only thing I ever wanted to be was a rock & roll singer—Minneapolis is the city that showed me the way. A Paul Westerberg song and a Bob Mould song, played with abandon, nerves and love—a great, big, sloppy thank-you. And, damn, do I mean it. PRE-ORDER = JAN. 29"

11 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

This band went downhill so badly and so fast... it's sad. Can't believe anyone can handle James' personality. Probably noone.

When I heard/saw Quiet Slang with that weird forced quiet but raw vocal, it retroactively made me dislike everything. I put everything in the trade pile for my next amoeba trip.  

Was hoping the lineup changes and a break from touring would have recharged his writing a bit but a covers EP doesn't really inspire much confidence. 

I still consider the first two EPs among the best music of the last ten years. But pretty sure those were a fluke, unfortunately. I liked LP1 but by the second, I felt like he was just writing Mad Libs. I don't know how many more times I can hear the same four chords and the words drunk, young, wild, and loud interchanged for ten songs straight. Still kills it live though.

9 minutes ago, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

I don't get how this band has fans still. Probably mostly people who started out variant collecting the EPs with the inability to let go.

This is me exactly. Those first EPs were so huge to me, I just can't let go. I'll buy into anything they/he releases on the off chance they/he can capture some of that magic again. 

3 hours ago, mr. sincere said:

Was hoping the lineup changes and a break from touring would have recharged his writing a bit but a covers EP doesn't really inspire much confidence. 

I still consider the first two EPs among the best music of the last ten years. But pretty sure those were a fluke, unfortunately. I liked LP1 but by the second, I felt like he was just writing Mad Libs. I don't know how many more times I can hear the same four chords and the words drunk, young, wild, and loud interchanged for ten songs straight. Still kills it live though.

Its tough because you come out so strong like that with 2 releases, that are phenomenal, and now you need to replicate that or do better.  Its hard to follow up.

I think lp1 is very very good and i do like Lp2 but I would be lying if I said your 2nd to last sentence didnt ring very true .

and yes they slay live 

Man... I was SO into this band. The antics of the frontman are really off-putting though. And like @deftbarley and @TheWindBlower mentioned, that Quiet Slang LP was just bollocks. As someone who has quite an extensive collection of the Beach Slang stuff, I couldn't even bring myself to purchase that. I was lucky enough to see them in Cologne once, and managed to talk to Ed (former bassist) after the show, and he definitely seems like a great, nice guy. Too bad he probably had enough and quit.

Not too sure about this new EP.

• 2 weeks later...