PO Now: The Drums - Brutalism

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, axisrecapital said:

Really surprised the clear variant is still available.  Limited to 250 pressed and still available?  Anyone know how to check the amount left?

https://kingsroadmerch.com/the-drums/view/?id=15085

I've noticed the same - doesn't seem right. There's no way to check inventory either. The site lets you check out with a max qty of 100 but who knows if that's accurate or not.

3 hours ago, axisrecapital said:

Really surprised the clear variant is still available.  Limited to 250 pressed and still available?  Anyone know how to check the amount left?

I don’t really think The Drums have had the same buzz since Encyclopedia. Abysmal Thoughts was a lot better but I think now it’s a solo act it just lost a lot of appeal. S/T and Portamento can’t be touched though, easily 2 of my favourite indie albums of the last 10 years.

I still need to give the new track a listen. Am I going to be dissapointend?

So...here is my take on things.  First, if you bought the new record, they have released two tracks so far. Both tracks are great in my opinion.  Classic drums and I love that Johnny has confidence with his lyrics.

I agree that The Drums have lost something over the years, but I think they also have regained it.  The first time I saw them live was with Jacob playing at a gig in Amsterdam.  Top of their game and they sounded great while they were touring Encyclopedia.  Cut to Jacob leaving and Abysmal Thoughts being released.  I saw them in Paris about 1.5 years ago while promoting Abysmal Thoughts...they still sounded great, although a more stripped down version.  But Johnny still has a stage presence like no other and they pulled it off.  Johnny can command an audience.  I think Abysmal Thoughts was a tough album because it was the first real solo record.  Hard space for Johnny to be in, but the record has some great tracks.  Now back to the new tracks.  I heard Johnny hired a producer and the sound of the two singles are very concentrated pop songs.  They are all the best of what Johnny has done with The Drums over the years.

Now...another theory....they need to fire whoever is approving the artwork for their records.  Abysmal Thoughts was easily the worst art work I have ever seen. The picture made no sense at all to me. Not a huge fan of the artwork for Brutalism either.  Maybe the worse the album cover gets, the better the music?  But seriously, tone the artwork down.....

Just now, axisrecapital said:

they need to fire whoever is approving the artwork for their records.  Abysmal Thoughts was easily the worst art work I have ever seen. The picture made no sense at all to me. Not a huge fan of the artwork for Brutalism either.  Maybe the worse the album cover gets, the better the music?  But seriously, tone the artwork down.....

He has the guy doing the artwork that does Parquet Court's stuff, too. Also not a fan.

So...here is a little more about the new record:

Brutalism is quite possibly the best collection of songs in The Drums’ ten-year career. The album is defined by growth, transformation and questions, but it doesn’t provide all the answers. Brutalism is a form of simplistic architecture defined by blocks of raw concrete. Brutalism is rooted in an emotional rawness but its layers are soft, intricate and warm, full of frivolous and exquisitely crafted pop songs that blast sunlight and high energy in the face of anxiety, solitude and crippling self-doubt.

Even the fact that Brutalism sounds intentional, focused and efficient is a symbol of how Pierce’s prioritizing of his own health and wellbeing has bled into how he makes music. For the making of this album, between his lake house in Upstate New York and a studio in Stinson Beach, California, Pierce was more open than ever, keeping his control freakery at bay, working with others to produce and record the album. He brought in Chris Coady (Beach House, Future Islands, Amen Dunes) to mix it. If there was a guitar part he wanted to write but couldn’t play, he brought in a guitarist. It’s also the first Drums record with a live drummer. Delegating freed up Pierce’s time to produce a more specific vision.

His intentions were rooted in pop, as they’ve always been. Back in The Drums’ previous iterations, however, the pressure was on Pierce to maintain the innocent and nostalgic sound of this surf-pop indie band and it didn’t allow him to explore sex, drug use, darker emotions or how he felt currently. Abysmal Thoughts was the first occasion he had chance to do that. Lyrically, Brutalism is another giant step in that direction. It’s much more cut-throat. “I think there’s a parental advisory sticker on the cover!” laughs Pierce. “I didn’t have the courage to stand up for what I wanted before. I felt I had to keep things whimsical and that’s not who I am. It feels empty.” Sonically he had been devoid of external influences, so afraid of being accused of losing the purism of The Drums’ sound. Now he’s rediscovering music: everything from SOPHIE to 90s band Whale. They inspired the loop-based, breakbeat drums on ‘Kiss It Away’ and ‘Body Chemistry’. “I used to think our songs sounded like they were held together by scotch tape. These are more bulletproof.

Just now, axisrecapital said:

I'd rather see a simple logo of The Drums than a guy with a shoe to his ear (Abysmal Thoughts) and I don't know why he chose a picture of either Johnny wiping tears away or sticking his finger up his nose to avoid blood running down from doing too much cocaine.

Well, not only that, but I'm pretty sure the guy on the Abysmal cover was Keon, Jonny's ex-boyfriend. Such an odd choice all-around. I liked the Encyclopedia concept, which was completely driven and designed by Jacob.

There’s a bit in that part about Brutalism that is a fact that annoys me. Johnny writes all these guitar pieces and completely forgets them which is why there’s a live band. He even confirmed this in an interview where he was showing tracks of Abysmal Thoughts from his home. Book of Stories I think was the only riff he could remember. As much as I enjoy this band, that’s pretty poor that the man behind the work can’t even remember how to do his own work. It also makes you think there’s no practise involved and he literally thinks of it in one take, it’s clever that he has the ability to create a tune like that but not being able to recreate it without help comes off as either lazy or just his flaw as a musician.

This appears to have leaked.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:17 PM, mcpaddolive said:

There’s a bit in that part about Brutalism that is a fact that annoys me.

Yeah, I think I remember the video you're talking about. He's certainly not much of a technical  musician and relies solely on recording things piece-by-piece until it sounds right to him. His strength is coming up with hooks and melodies so I guess I don't fault him too much with his technical limitations.

On 3/12/2019 at 11:57 AM, axisrecapital said:

FWIW, looks like there's 87 copies left now.

• 6 months later...