[PO] The Antlers – Hospice [Anniversary x2 LP]

43329567-e8a1-4197-94cd-62b98a88692c&hei

O R D E R

It's no secret that this album's vinyl pressing has always been total ass.  A decade of low volume, muddy quality, and cackles galore have not done this album the justice it deserves.  Whether you've moved on past the lyrical gut punches of Hospice or still enjoy your MP3s from time to time, it's finally being reissued and done right, from the sounds of it.

• Remastered

• Double LP

• White vinyl

• Redone artwork and packaging

I don't know if it's a glitch, or if they'll honor orders placed within this time window, but my copy came out to $20 + $0.00 tax + $0.00 shipping.  Flat $20 out the door for a double LP.  In 2019?  Seems a little too good to be true.

Even with the sound issues attached to a good portion of white vinyl – but not all white vinyl – I think this will sound leaps and bounds better than the junk copies out there now.

Jan 16, 2019

Dear Friends,

It’s been some time! And we’ve got some news for you.

We’re reissuing the Hospice LP on March 8th, 2019, in honor of its tenth anniversary. It will be newly pressed on double white vinyl, with deluxe artwork and packaging courtesy of the album’s original artist, Zan Goodman. 

We’ll be playing a limited number of acoustic shows to celebrate, too. But it will be a bit different this time as the core band now consists of Peter Silberman and drummer Michael Lerner — longtime multi-instrumentalist Darby Cicci is no longer with the band. 

Though we’ve pared down for the time being, these shows will feature some old friends and guests, and together we’ll perform Hospice in its entirety.

We’re truly looking forward to revisiting these old songs in a new light and seeing your friendly faces again. Your patience and support means so much.

With love,

The Antlers

Tour dates as well.

Edited by Derek™

10 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I don't know if it's a glitch, or if they'll honor orders placed within this time window, but my copy came out to $20 + $0.00 tax + $0.00 shipping.  Flat $20 out the door for a double LP.  In 2019?  Seems a little too good to be true.

Good looks on this, managed to grab it for $20 shipped as well. Had this album in my library forever, and never gave it a proper sit down listen. This was definitely the perfect excuse to do so.

Bumping for general Antlers chat if anyone’s game.  Don’t think I’ve had an Antlers discussion on VC before.

How do you guys feel about the rest of their discography?  Burst Apart is so damn good that it’s kinda’ stupid.  I did not care for that album at all, for the longest time, but over the years it has really revealed itself with those nuanced melodies and lush production.  Big fan.

I haven’t tried it in quite some time but I could not get into Familiars at all.  I know a few people on the boards really loved that album when it was released.  I respected what they were going for but I just recall thinking that it wasn’t for me.  I really ought to return to it with an open mind, sooner than later.  Could surprise myself.

Also I think that their Undersea EP is killer.  I’ve heard a lot of aquatic-themed albums and EPs over the years but that’s one of the better ones in my books.

12 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Bumping for general Antlers chat if anyone’s game.

I am!

Burst Apart is so damn good that it’s kinda’ stupid.

Agreed. Loved from first time I heard it however many years ago that was.

I haven’t tried it in quite some time but I could not get into Familiars at all.  I know a few people on the boards really loved that album when it was released.

I am one of those people haha. Loved it from the moment it was released, and listened to it the other day for the first time in awhile and still love it.

Also I think that their Undersea EP is killer.

I also agree! Haha.

I know this may be blasphemous, but outside of Burst Apart, Undersea, and Familiars, I never really got into any of their other stuff, including Hospice. It's probably because Burst Apart was my first exposure to them and anything older than that hasn't really struck a cord with me. May be time I go back and listen to all that stuff again.

Edited by wiscodeman

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Bumping for general Antlers chat if anyone’s game.  Don’t think I’ve had an Antlers discussion on VC before.

How do you guys feel about the rest of their discography?  Burst Apart is so damn good that it’s kinda’ stupid.  I did not care for that album at all, for the longest time, but over the years it has really revealed itself with those nuanced melodies and lush production.  Big fan.

I haven’t tried it in quite some time but I could not get into Familiars at all.  I know a few people on the boards really loved that album when it was released.  I respected what they were going for but I just recall thinking that it wasn’t for me.  I really ought to return to it with an open mind, sooner than later.  Could surprise myself.

Also I think that their Undersea EP is killer.  I’ve heard a lot of aquatic-themed albums and EPs over the years but that’s one of the better ones in my books.

Burst Apart is excellent, and Every Night my Teeth are Falling Out is one of my favorite songs for sure.

Familiars is good but has a way different feel. I'd say you should give it a few more tries. Even if you only walk away with a real appreciation for a couple of songs, I feel confident you could find at least 2 or 3 that pique your interest. As a whole I agree that it's a more meandering/weaker offering than the SUPER-focused Hospice and the poppier Burst Apart.

Undersea EP is great, and I think it's more similar to Pete Silberman's (lead singer of Antlers) solo stuff than Antlers' own albums.

EDIT: I consider the albums earlier than Hospice to be akin to pre-OK Computer Radiohead stuff. I'm sure the albums have their merits, but if I sit down to listen to some Antlers I'm not reaching for Uprooted/Pablo Honey.

Edited by rooks

8 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I felt the same about familiars for the longest time until last year that It clicked and had me obsessed for the longest. But 'Burst Apart' is a gem for sure.

But it's sad to think we'll never see The Antlers play full effect due to Pete's ear issues. His solo stuff got a lot of spins from me as well.

1 hour ago, rooks said:

Move the order to BullMoose - you love 'em and it's $23 shipped instead of $26.

Done and done.  I never have a hangup with supporting BM.

Regarding your last post, I’ll probably give Familiars a try this afternoon and report back.  But like a total dingus I constantly forget that there’s even pre-Hospice Antlers.  Not really worth the time to check out?

11 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Regarding your last post, I’ll probably give Familiars a try this afternoon and report back.  But like a total dingus I constantly forget that there’s even pre-Hospice Antlers.  Not really worth the time to check out?

Two of my friends swear by Attic and rank it among their favorites. It didn't resonate with me personally, but I'm not really a fan of the band in general.