[PO] The Antlers – Hospice [Anniversary x2 LP]

On 1/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, DecayToDeath said:

Two of my friends swear by Attic and rank it among their favorites. It didn't resonate with me personally, but I'm not really a fan of the band in general.

I'll probably try out Attic just for fun.  All this Antlers re-exploration has really sparked my interest in Burst Apart again – having a hard time putting that one down when I'm in the mood to hear them.

On 1/18/2019 at 12:49 PM, rooks said:

Familiars is good but has a way different feel. I'd say you should give it a few more tries. Even if you only walk away with a real appreciation for a couple of songs, I feel confident you could find at least 2 or 3 that pique your interest. As a whole I agree that it's a more meandering/weaker offering than the SUPER-focused Hospice and the poppier Burst Apart.

I got around to checking out Familiars and forgot to chime in here.  It's significantly better than I found it to be, years back, but still my least favorite Antlers record so far.  Still no tracks (or even moments of tracks) that captivate my train of thought to admire a particular soundscape or vocal delivery like the rest of their stuff does for me.  You reckon Burst Apart is poppy?  I think it's a hell of a lot less somber than Hospice – though not without it's share of bummer tracks – but as a whole it just feels way more comfy and dreamy.  Been clicking with it really well on early mornings, if I beat the rest of my coworkers to the office and have some solitude to start the day.

• 1 month later...

2 hours ago, Rip said:

Just finished listening.  I know there are some concerns out there with the quality of "white" vinyl, but this thing sounds incredible.  I didn't notice a single pop or click throughout all 4 sides.  It's as quiet as can be.

How does it compare to the original pressing? My original copy doesn't pop or click either, but I certainly wouldn't say it sounds incredible. 

2 hours ago, Rip said:

Just finished listening.  I know there are some concerns out there with the quality of "white" vinyl, but this thing sounds incredible.  I didn't notice a single pop or click throughout all 4 sides.  It's as quiet as can be.

Just a heads up, unless it actually isn't white you don't need those quotation marks in there.

56 minutes ago, ntslash said:

How does it compare to the original pressing? My original copy doesn't pop or click either, but I certainly wouldn't say it sounds incredible. 

Wish I could say but I never owned an original copy.  Kept putting it off and then this pressing happened.

49 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Just a heads up, unless it actually isn't white you don't need those quotation marks in there.

There’s a fine line between white and cream.