Vampire Weekend - FOTB

Just now, coolio said:

Is there anyone else who hasn't bought this yet because they're still bitter about missing that original green that was put up early then got cancelled? 

You mean the green vinyl that never actually existed because Kung Fu jumped the gun before having the full details worked out with Spotify? It just became a split color instead.

2 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

You mean the green vinyl that never actually existed because Kung Fu jumped the gun before having the full details worked out with Spotify? It just became a split color instead.

Yep. Bitter because I was there for the fake on-sale, but completely missed when they put it up for real.

Edited by coolio
wording

Just now, coolio said:

Yep. Bitter because I was there for the fake on-sale, but completely missed the split. 

Ahhh gotcha, bummer. I'm sort of surprised leftover copies of the split never went up. With a run that big, especially with the quantity limit and Int'l order restrictions I was expecting a lot more order adjustments/cancellations. I have a page monitor still running and think I only ever saw 2 copies come back in after the initial sell-out.

People on Sputnik are shitting all over this and it’s really funny. I’ve been a member of that site for a decade and it’s sad how far it’s fallen. 

Theyve gone from idolizing godspeed, nmh, this band, and other hipster staples to trashing everything about all of the above for not being up to their standards these days... which I don’t even know what they are these days. They love Taylor swift and death grips though I guess?

anyway I digress this album is exceptionally nice for a car ride through the mountains in the sun

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

2 hours ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

People on Sputnik are shitting all over this and it’s really funny. I’ve been a member of that site for a decade and it’s sad how far it’s fallen. 

Theyve gone from idolizing godspeed, nmh, this band, and other hipster staples to trashing everything about all of the above for not being up to their standards these days... which I don’t even know what they are these days. They love Taylor swift and death grips though I guess?

anyway I digress this album is exceptionally nice for a car ride through the mountains in the sun

I love Godspeed and even celebrate their newer stuff, but I think the general verdict is that it’s not cool to enjoy anything after LYSF.  ‘Allelujah at the very latest.  Seems to be an opinion I’ve (unfortunately) seen crop up all over the internet.

I don’t personally participate on Sputnik but I’ve lurked the site casually for the better part of a decade, too.  There is a huge hivemind mentality on the site that is humorous to me.  A lot of it seems dependent on whatever 10 albums are trending off to the right of that home page.  I also know that music is subjective, but it’s tough to read discussions when a user’s score is present with each of their posts.  Seeing someone dump on a fresh, innovative release with a 2.5 score - because it’s “not what they were expecting” - but simultaneously award a 4.5 to the latest Angels & Airwaves album is just boggling to me.  But I guess that’s the beauty of music; one man’s snooze fest is another’s rollercoaster.

But even with that said; a lot of people insist I have a pretty longstanding reputation for being an asshole here on VC, but I think I’d be 300% more toxic and willing to squabble on Sputnik, so I’ve done everyone a favor and avoided registering to chime in my $0.02 there, ha.  There are some cool discussions on that site, no doubt, but a lot of it is a total eye roll like you’ve just said.

Anyways, I digress.

I’ve never listened to Vampire Weekend outside of hearing a few singles in passing.  Tommy’s high praise - especially with mention of LP3 - has me curious to maybe give this a shot, though.

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I’ve never listened to Vampire Weekend outside of hearing a few singles in passing.  Tommy’s high praise - especially with mention of LP3 - has me curious to maybe give this a shot, though.

Yeah I would give it a shot. I tried for years to get into VW but it always rubbed me the wrong way. This record however, much different

• 2 weeks later...