PO: James Blake - Assume Form

1 hour ago, Lugubrious said:

Yeah, aside from Pitchfork most reviews have been very positive. I guess we got some real Pitchfork fanboys in the house. 

Haha.  Fuck right off, dude. One online publication doesn’t get to corner an opinion on music.  “Welp Pitchfork loves the record so I guess I gotta’ hate on it otherwise I’m a drone.”  Do people really think like this?  You are aware that people are allowed to form and adhere to their own perceptions of an album, right?  AF is weak af because James’ vocals melodies and delivery are forgettable, lyrics are grossly basic and teeter on cringe, and the entire thing flows in one ear and out the other barring 3 or so highlights.  This conclusion was arrived at well before Pitchfork posted any kind of review, as made apparent by the time stamps in this text chat with a friend;

oM3kfQL.jpg

I know it’s a big and scary world out there with adults forming their own opinions and interpretations of music, but you should give it a shot sometime.  No one single website or source should dictate how you feel about music and you’re a child if you feel otherwise.

lmfao. was gonna post my timestamped texts with Derek as "proof" that our feelings were pre-Pitchfork's review.

Glad to see you were on the same page, Derek. 

I love the assumption that if you dislike it - you must be a p4k slave, but if you LIKE it, it's got nothing to do with the glowing reviews you read on any other site :D

Just now, tetsuodaironman said:

Speaking of Overgrown. I finally got a vinyl copy of it a few days ago. Now THAT ONE tickles my saggy nut sack p good!

In the JB hype I had leading up to Assume Form, I revisited his backlog which included Overgrown on a chilly night drive.  Was actually perfect and maybe my favorite listen I’ve had with that album – it’s aged well for me.

5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

In the JB hype I had leading up to Assume Form, I revisited his backlog which included Overgrown on a chilly night drive.  Was actually perfect and maybe my favorite listen I’ve had with that album – it’s aged well for me.

Shit just gives you the chills, right? Honestly, JB didn't fully connect with me until I saw him perform live when I was on molly. Def felt like I was watching and hearing an angel gifted to the earth. After that, I loved his music.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Haha.  Fuck right off, dude. One online publication doesn’t get to corner an opinion on music.  “Welp Pitchfork loves the record so I guess I gotta’ hate on it otherwise I’m a drone.”  Do people really think like this?  You are aware that people are allowed to form and adhere to their own perceptions of an album, right?  AF is weak af because James’ vocals melodies and delivery are forgettable, lyrics are grossly basic and teeter on cringe, and the entire thing flows in one ear and out the other barring 3 or so highlights.  This conclusion was arrived at well before Pitchfork posted any kind of review, as made apparent by the time stamps in this text chat with a friend;

Spoiler

oM3kfQL.jpg

I know it’s a big and scary world out there with adults forming their own opinions and interpretations of music, but you should give it a shot sometime.  No one single website or source should dictate how you feel about music and you’re a child if you feel otherwise.

I have gotten so many "this one is so great" and "Much better than Colour" comments from my friends (we rarely look at  P4K reviews), but besides the closing track, I was so underwhelmed, singing was so flat. I absolutely love 'Colour' and the S/T. Overgrown needs a revisit. Maybe I'll reach the same conclusion. 

Edited by Gvzr

Wow, wasn't expecting so much negativity in here. I think this is much more accessible than Colour, and it has a lot more standout tracks than that album. As a result, I've actually really enjoyed the album so far - minus that Travis Scott track. Feel like it doesn't fit at all with the rest of the album, and is the most forgettable song of the bunch. Maybe I just don't like Travis Scott? 

Still, there are some real highlights on the album and I think they outweigh and balance out the softer, simpler songs like "Lullaby for my Insomniac". Songs like "Into the Red" and "Where's the Catch?" are some of my favourites so far this year. The addition of Rosalia on "Barefoot in the Park" was beautiful, and it's a solid track as well. 

I do wish there was more similarities between these tracks and his earliest stuff (dat b a s s), but you can tell he's trying something different and is entirely head over heels. I think that's fine, and it's refreshing to hear some love songs in this style. 

1 hour ago, rooks said:

no offense to anyone in this thread, everyone can have their own feels towards music - but these "aoty so far" and "a couple of the best songs I've heard so far this year" are cracking me up. like the not-so-distant-cousins of "seeya next year!" jokes on the last day of December.

Why? What's so funny about having a positive opinion on something? I agree it's too early to call AOTY, but what's the issue with saying some of the songs are the best I've heard so far this year?