Sign in to follow this  
Pressure

Can I pass on a receiver and just use an amp?

I’ve got a pioneer PL-560 with no pre-amp.  And some pioneer cs-m755 speakers that run at 30-20000hz, 8 ohms, and max 150w.  

My receiver just went bad, and I was wondering if I could make a setup without a receiver? Do I need an equalizer with the amp?  Do I need a preamp before the amp?  What’s my optimal setup?

thanks

2 hours ago, Pressure said:

I’ve got a pioneer PL-560 with no pre-amp.  And some pioneer cs-m755 speakers that run at 30-20000hz, 8 ohms, and max 150w.  

My receiver just went bad, and I was wondering if I could make a setup without a receiver? Do I need an equalizer with the amp?  Do I need a preamp before the amp?  What’s my optimal setup?

thanks

you will need a phono preamp for starters ... if its just a straight amp then you will need a reciever... what amp have you got??

the NAD is a pretty good amp at its price point, my shop is an authorized dealer and I'm pretty impressed for the price. If you have a  receiver without a phono stage already it might be more affordable to buy a nice preamp instead, get a rega fono mini 2ad, also gives you the option to digitize your collection and it's a really good phono stage it will be a noticeable upgrade from your previous receiver for only about $175.

I’m trying to get this system as simple, minimal, and powerful as possible. Without blowing my budget.  I only listen to vinyl records, so I don’t need any other inputs other than an analogue for phono.  No need for video or cd etc...  So, I figured I could just bypass the receiver and go strait to an amp with two, maybe 4 channels.  Are there any good amps that fit this description, and is this all I need?