Can I pass on a receiver and just use an amp?

I’ve got a pioneer PL-560 with no pre-amp.  And some pioneer cs-m755 speakers that run at 30-20000hz, 8 ohms, and max 150w.  

My receiver just went bad, and I was wondering if I could make a setup without a receiver? Do I need an equalizer with the amp?  Do I need a preamp before the amp?  What’s my optimal setup?

thanks

2 hours ago, Pressure said:

I’ve got a pioneer PL-560 with no pre-amp.  And some pioneer cs-m755 speakers that run at 30-20000hz, 8 ohms, and max 150w.  

My receiver just went bad, and I was wondering if I could make a setup without a receiver? Do I need an equalizer with the amp?  Do I need a preamp before the amp?  What’s my optimal setup?

thanks

you will need a phono preamp for starters ... if its just a straight amp then you will need a reciever... what amp have you got??

the NAD is a pretty good amp at its price point, my shop is an authorized dealer and I'm pretty impressed for the price. If you have a  receiver without a phono stage already it might be more affordable to buy a nice preamp instead, get a rega fono mini 2ad, also gives you the option to digitize your collection and it's a really good phono stage it will be a noticeable upgrade from your previous receiver for only about $175.

I’m trying to get this system as simple, minimal, and powerful as possible. Without blowing my budget.  I only listen to vinyl records, so I don’t need any other inputs other than an analogue for phono.  No need for video or cd etc...  So, I figured I could just bypass the receiver and go strait to an amp with two, maybe 4 channels.  Are there any good amps that fit this description, and is this all I need?

• 3 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 9:48 AM, Pressure said:

I was also looking at Marantz PM5005 and a few other similar types.  But maybe there is some good vintage equipment that would be better suited for my situation?

Yes, the Marantz PM5005 has a phono input, Its one of the ones I was looking at before I ultimately ended up with my Yamaha AS500 (also has a phono input). 

If you keep an eye out for these used you can usually find a pretty good deal. My AS500 used with a really scratched up volume up knob cost me around $100 and I eventually just ordered a new volume knob from Yamaha for like $7 or something and the entire amp looks brand new now. If you're patient for used you'll come across something.

I added a few amp models to my eBay search so I got a notification when that model number was listed.  Also search/set notifications for stuff like 'let go', 'offer up' and facebook marketplace. 

GOOD LUCK!

important to understand that a receiver is by definition a preamp + amplifier + radio receiver. 

Usually at minimum you need an "integrated amplifier" which is simply a preamp + amplifier.   The "preamp" part of the equation is basically volume control. 

Products like PM5005 or C 316BEE are Integrated amplifiers and will work great for a vinyl setup as they also include a "phono preamp".  a "phono preamp" is not to be confused with the "preamp" mentioned above.