Nivhek (aka Grouper) - After Its Own Death 2LP

spoon

2 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

Not sure if it is a special edition but I am dumb and bought it as fast as possible. I still haven’t listened to Grid of Points or whatever since I wasn’t a big fan if Ruins, but love everything else she has done

You didn’t care for Ruins?  Damn.  For me, GoP feels like it’s over after you blink, and wasn’t nearly as interesting as her older stuff [including Ruins, in my opinion].  I’m eager to listen to this new release and talk myself into dropping $30 if it’s solid – the photos of the jacket make it look really nice, “limited edition” or not.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

You didn’t care for Ruins?  Damn.  For me, GoP feels like it’s over after you blink, and wasn’t nearly as interesting as her older stuff [including Ruins, in my opinion].  I’m eager to listen to this new release and talk myself into dropping $30 if it’s solid – the photos of the jacket make it look really nice, “limited edition” or not.

I feel like I am on a streak of shitting all over things but yeah, that album bores the hell out of me. I know that sounds weird since a lot of her stuff has the same atmosphere but it’s just hard to get into the whole piano thing after listening to a lot of Helen. 

Isn’t GoP only like 20ish minutes? Is it along the same lines as Ruins or more guitar based? I guess I can just answer those myself by listening to it when I find the time haha.

The packaging looks to be in line with other special editions so maybe it’s just that there is no regular edition (at least not available through Liz for now).

edit: looking at the page source the qty available is or was ~273 and the current limit is 27. 

Edited by spoon

6 hours ago, Bronchitis said:

I feel like I am on a streak of shitting all over things but yeah, that album bores the hell out of me. I know that sounds weird since a lot of her stuff has the same atmosphere but it’s just hard to get into the whole piano thing after listening to a lot of Helen. 

Isn’t GoP only like 20ish minutes? Is it along the same lines as Ruins or more guitar based? I guess I can just answer those myself by listening to it when I find the time haha.

Hey, it’s better than badwagoning or pretending something is a lot better than it truly is just to fit into a clique on a message board run by SRC.  You like what you like.  I also feel like I occasionally get on streaks where it may seem like I’m trying too hard to be a contrarian but it is what it is.  I’m not here to impress anyone with my tastes or my thumbs-up / thumbs-down verdicts, as I’m sure you’re not either.

GoP is tiny, yeah.  A lot less standout moments than Ruins – I’m having a hard time remembering exactly where it goes because I think I’ve only given it 3-4 listens.

Anyone else listen to this Nivhek today?  First track stole the show for me but the others aren’t bad at all.  Very chill listen that I found myself getting pleasantly lost in.

59 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Hey, it’s better than badwagoning or pretending something is a lot better than it truly is just to fit into a clique on a message board run by SRC.  You like what you like.  I also feel like I occasionally get on streaks where it may seem like I’m trying too hard to be a contrarian but it is what it is.  I’m not here to impress anyone with my tastes or my thumbs-up / thumbs-down verdicts, as I’m sure you’re not either.

GoP is tiny, yeah.  A lot less standout moments than Ruins – I’m having a hard time remembering exactly where it goes because I think I’ve only given it 3-4 listens.

Anyone else listen to this Nivhek today?  First track stole the show for me but the others aren’t bad at all.  Very chill listen that I found myself getting pleasantly lost in.

Exactly why you’ll always be my favorite VC member. 

2 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

I've heard good things about this record and plan on listening to it tonight, sucks that it's already (maybe?) gone.

Yep, it sold out earlier today. Exiled Records in Portland usually stock her stuff if you want me to check for you when the record is released.