PO NOW: Idlewild - Interview Music

Odd that I haven't seen this posted just got tickets for the show at the Kentish Town Forum.

Interview Music

Here's the blurb:

Having taken a break in 2010 (the previous fifteen years seeing them turn from raucous cult curiosity to chart bothering national treasures) Friendship and the bind of their creativity brought Idlewild back together for 2015’s Everything Ever Written. With it, came critical praise, an album in the top 20, and the band selling out venues as large as they ever had. With new members Luciano Rossi and Andrew Mitchell on board, Roddy Woomble, guitarist Rod Jones and drummer Colin Newton felt a renewed sense of purpose. So much so that the week that Everything Ever Written was released, they were already back at the drawing board to start work on what would become the bold step sidewards, album Interview Music.

Inspired, they later decamped at the end at the end of a US tour in 2016 to Los Angeles to flesh out their ideas, but it would be some years before they set themselves up at Jones’ own Edinburgh studio to finish the record. Before finishing the album, the band performed a run of shows to celebrate the anniversary for their seminal record The Remote Part. One of those shows would see them meet up once again with the producer of that record and 100 Broken Windows, Dave Eringa, who would provide Idlewild with the grounding they needed to finish Interview Music. “Dave produced five songs on the album, but also brought a focus back to the band, and actually made us finish it!” admits Woomble “He made it sound like us,”

This is no more apparent than on opener Dream Variations; with its echoing, fever-dream melody, chiming fizzing riff, and vocal harmonies, before taking a surprise left-turn and drifting into a waltz-like trance. Much like the rest of the record, it has the indie-rock DNA of the band, but mutated in new and strange ways. Same Things Twice takes the fire of the heavier highlights like A Modern Way Of Letting Go or Little Discourage, but carries it with a more mature grace. Then I Almost Didn’t Notice and Mount Analogue make for record’s centre-pieces as playful, adventurous and strange – driven by abandon but still loyal to all that you want from Idlewild; not least for Woomble’s lyrics. Here you’ll find another tapestry of riddles written to “celebrate vagueness”. “What’s really important about Idlewild is that we are basically punk rock kids,” concludes Woomble. “No one ever taught us how to play anything. We formed a band and we learned. In our own way. We were inspired by the bands we saw just getting up on stage, making a noise and exchanging ideas, and trying to change your ideas. That’s principally what the band still do. I’m not a kid rolling around screaming into a microphone on the floor anymore, but that ideal is still at our core.”

1. Dream Variations
2. There's a Place for Everything
3. Interview Music
4. All These Words
5. You Wear It Secondhand
6. Same Things Twice
7. I Almost Didn't Notice
8. Miracles
9. Mount Analogue
10. Forever New
11. Bad Logic
12. Familiar to Ignore
13. Lake Martinez

Available signed direct from the band on black, unsigned black and indie exclusive red /500. There was a clear with green splatter I believe but that sold out. Due out 5th April.

Indie/Standard: https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/music/idlewild-interview-music

Signed copies: https://idlewild.tmstor.es/

US orders: https://www.roughtrade.com/us/music/idlewild-interview-music

First track and album opener:

3 minutes ago, thesewoodenideas said:

Lucky enough to have one of the splatter LPs preordered.

New single is pretty solid imo.

Nice, yeah the new single isn't bad at all. All their albums are solid enough, that being said Make Another World was the last one that really blew my socks off. I may still wind up getting this down the line but now I'm just happy to be seeing them live.

45 minutes ago, whoa said:

I wished they'd reissue The Remote Part. 

I picked up an OG a fair few years ago for around £30 on ebay but I'm right there with you it needs to happen.

That and press Warnings/Promises god damn it. That album never even got a run.

1 hour ago, whoa said:

I wished they'd reissue The Remote Part. 

Lucky enough to have an og copy that I have signed by the lineup at that time on their photo in the gatefold. 

Weird that reissues stopped at 100bw.

As stressonthesky says I'd love a WP pressing and Captain would be great too. 

Agreed, picked up the MOV reissues of HiP and 100BW. Think remote part is on a different label? 

Warnings/Promises too. 

I’ll always support this band, even though some of their later stuff doesn’t do much for me. Having said that, one of the last times I saw them was one of the best when they did an electric and acoustic set.

I might consider picking this up after hearing more songs. Everything Ever Written wasn't very good. Post Electric Blues was pretty meh. 

I really just need to them/Parlophone to do a vinyl pressing of Warnings/Promises and/or Music On Vinyl to do a vinyl pressing of Captain so I can complete my collection. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2019 at 6:41 PM, Skacel said:

Remote Part and Warnings/Promises are on Parlophone. The previous 2 were on FOOD. 

Maybe something to do with the lack of reissue RP and first vinyl press for W/P

I’m looking at my MoV represses just now and they have Parlophone on them so not sure the reason for lack or repress of the remote part. They are doing an instore near me next month, I might go along and ask them about it. See if there are any plans to repress their other albums.

2 hours ago, Skacel said:

I’m looking at my MoV represses just now and they have Parlophone on them so not sure the reason for lack or repress of the remote part. They are doing an instore near me next month, I might go along and ask them about it. See if there are any plans to repress their other albums.

If you go please ask can they press W/P and Captain also 😁