Help on how to trade

Pontus

Hello everyone!

My dad passed away and left behind some vinyl records, approximately 400, mainly classical recordings from ca 1950 and onward. As I, no matter how horriffic that may sound to most of you, have personally ditched vinyl and now live with my own family in not unlimited space, I need to get rid of them. Question is how and where. There exists an incomplete inventory of about half of them whcih my father started in excel - whether his structuring of the information was well advised is beyond me). I guess my question is how should they be described to evaluate possible monetary value?

What markets do I advertise on (they are currently in Sweden)? Do all records need to be inventoried and if so, with which data? Or is a representative subset for extrapolation sufficient ? Does the code MMS 138 mean anything to anyone and if so, is the metadata on album name, piece, composer, conductor and so on important? Do they need to be photographed, and if so, just cover or record? How does one evaluate and describe condition?

Any and all information or pointer to where I should direct my lazy self for further study would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Pontus

Either look them all up individually or dump them at a store. The problem with classical is unless you're selling to a store specializing in classical you are going to get a very low offer, possibly they may even be rejected. I say look them all up then post the higher dollar ones individually and the rest in bulk. 

4 minutes ago, brandy said:

Dude... He lost a close family member...

Yeah... That never stopped people before. I've never bullied anyone on VC, but people here basically fucked with zay before he went away. This has never been the nicest of places. The changes are good. Friendliness = good

1 hour ago, Buffbloom said:

VC is gettin' soft... A few years ago this guy would have been roasted immediately... Now we're handing out advice and even condolences?! Post-Trump is a weird world. 

Ever since pink vinyl releases became more common, I’ve noticed a whole different vibe around here...

32 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

Ever since pink vinyl releases became more common, I’ve noticed a whole different vibe around here...

Don't get me wrong, the attitude change is very much a good thing. I was just trying to point out how much different this place from not even that long ago. Couple years, maybe. This place also seems like it has half the active posters in this same period of time. 

As others have noted, if you've got the time and energy to put into it, try to sell the valuable records individually on Discogs and then take the rest to a local record store that deals in classical recordings.  If you can't think of such a store, you might consider asking local music teachers.

My condolences for your loss.

14 hours ago, Buffbloom said:

VC is gettin' soft... A few years ago this guy would have been roasted immediately... Now we're handing out advice and even condolences?! Post-Trump is a weird world. 

It's because most of the dumbasses got bored left VC and now troll exclusively on Twitter and Facebook (where they belong). Good riddance, this is the chillest VC has been in a very long time and I hope it stays this way.

11 hours ago, Buffbloom said:

Don't get me wrong, the attitude change is very much a good thing. I was just trying to point out how much different this place from not even that long ago. Couple years, maybe. This place also seems like it has half the active posters in this same period of time. 

Ugh. Fuck off dude. You've managed to make this thread about you and the "state of VC." Congratulations, you're tone deaf.

Sorry for your loss OP.

14 hours ago, Buffbloom said:

VC is gettin' soft...

12 hours ago, Buffbloom said:

Don't get me wrong, the attitude change is very much a good thing.

ehhh I think you enjoyed the drama. Call it like it is 

Sorry for your loss OP.

Edited by Tommy

Alright boys and gals, time to amp this motherfucker back up. 

1 hour ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Ugh. Fuck off dude. You've managed to make this thread about you and the "state of VC." Congratulations, you're tone deaf.

Sorry for your loss OP.

No. Fuck YOU YOU PIECE OF BODYSLAMMING, SKIN TIGHT PANTS WEARIN, COCKBAG. 

I EAT TURDS LIKE YOU FOR BREAKFAST.

10 minutes ago, Satan said:

Alright boys and gals, time to amp this motherfucker back up. 

No. Fuck YOU YOU PIECE OF BODYSLAMMING, SKIN TIGHT PANTS WEARIN, COCKBAG. 

I EAT TURDS LIKE YOU FOR BREAKFAST.

Listen brother. I'm the cream of the crop, and as you know the cream always rises to the top. etc. etc.

16 hours ago, Buffbloom said:

Yeah... That never stopped people before. I've never bullied anyone on VC, but people here basically fucked with zay before he went away. This has never been the nicest of places. The changes are good. Friendliness = good

Was there a story with Zay and a deceased family member that I missed?  That dude got ribbed because he was a troll for attention and was in too deep for his own good; the equivalent of Tug if you swapped out The Used for Paramore in the equation.  OP is a brand new face with a simple question who has yet to prove himself as a troll.  A fresh slate, so to speak.  Why would anyone want to be an asshole and tarnish his experience with the forums after just 1 post?  Apples and oranges compared to a Tug or Zay thread.