Help on how to trade

Pontus

if it's mostly classical, discogs is a terrible place to sell. The prices are completely inaccurate on most titles, barring a couple highly sought after titles like witches' brew or the soria set of the royal ballet gala. I would recommend ebay, search completed sales or popsike to see what they went for. The big 4 labels are mercury living presence, rca victor (shaded dog and red dog labels), EMI and london/decca (FFRR or FFSS). Also some Deutche Grammophone (mostly the tulip label). Mostly only stereo pressings are worth anything, the exception being titles originally recorded only in mono. There are other boutique labels and even some specific titles on budget labels that are worth money but these are broad guidelines for evaluating a classical collection for sale. Sorry about your dad, good luck

On 2/18/2019 at 8:59 PM, Dunc said:

Either look them all up individually or dump them at a store. The problem with classical is unless you're selling to a store specializing in classical you are going to get a very low offer, possibly they may even be rejected. I say look them all up then post the higher dollar ones individually and the rest in bulk. 

Prolly even more so in Sweden - a very small market. I've been offered the equivalent of 12 cents per disc.

So... Thanks all for your advice! Especially those on topic. ;) Condoleances appreciated mainly because it says good things about those of you who left them and the forum. Re the ribbing, I'm on enough forums to recognize the jargong among the initiated. Same goes for discussions sliding into meta territory about the forum, what it was, is and should or shouldn't become...

In the end, I'll try for the advice from NapalmBrain and SomethingVinyl, post my current list to ebay and see if anyone bites.  Current list as following, in case anyone's interested. May update it with additional items. Cheers everyone, and thanks again! I just may stick around this forum   :)

On 2/19/2019 at 9:22 AM, Shitty Rambo said:

It's because most of the dumbasses got bored left VC and now troll exclusively on Twitter and Facebook (where they belong). Good riddance, this is the chillest VC has been in a very long time and I hope it stays this way.

Edit: said something that would fuel the fire and regret it.

Edited by Bronchitis

• 1 month later...

My father passed away not long ago and I am helping my mom clean out his storage.

He was born in 1941 in The Bronx and grew up smack in the heart of the Doo Wop Era -- and has 100-200 ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS and mostly pristine vinyl records from that era.

So many recognizable artists and songs -- and most look like they have never been played.

He also has a ton of 45's -- and they are all in cases including some album books.

I don't have a use for them - all the music he instilled in me is in my iTunes library and I know there are folks in the world who would go ga-ga for these.  It ain't me -- but as a collector of other things I have a desire to get these into someone who can and will appreciate them.

I am going to catalogue them all -- but only discovered they still existed yesterday and haven't had the chance yet.

I am in New Jersey -- just outside NYC -- I sell a lot on ebay but would rather not ship things this fragile.

Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, nysepete said:

My father passed away not long ago and I am helping my mom clean out his storage.

He was born in 1941 in The Bronx and grew up smack in the heart of the Doo Wop Era -- and has 100-200 ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS and mostly pristine vinyl records from that era.

So many recognizable artists and songs -- and most look like they have never been played.

He also has a ton of 45's -- and they are all in cases including some album books.

I don't have a use for them - all the music he instilled in me is in my iTunes library and I know there are folks in the world who would go ga-ga for these.  It ain't me -- but as a collector of other things I have a desire to get these into someone who can and will appreciate them.

I am going to catalogue them all -- but only discovered they still existed yesterday and haven't had the chance yet.

I am in New Jersey -- just outside NYC -- I sell a lot on ebay but would rather not ship things this fragile.

Plenty of tips in the first couple pages.

35 minutes ago, nysepete said:

Appreciate it -- but from the looks of the conversation -- might be I'm in the wrong place.  Little rough, no?

I don't think you really need advice. I think you need a buyer. This is the wrong place to find a buyer for those records. You're either going to have to ship them (it's easy, look it up) or dump them off at a record store. Possibly look on craigslist for a buyer.  Good luck.

3 hours ago, nysepete said:

You may want to find some local shops that buy. They may be able to appriase the collection and maybe even get you an offer. 

Otherwise, if you are keen to sell it yourself piecemeal, then I'd check out previous ebay sales or discogs (TIP: find the correct pressing) and list there.