PO: Helms Alee - Noctiluca

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Not trying to kill the vibe or hype, but is anyone else unable to get into this band despite enjoying a lot of the acts they tour with, and fellow Sargent House artists?  I’ve tried a few times over the years and it’s just not there for me.

Honestly, I have never listened to anything after their first album but I do really love that one. I’ll throw that CD in my car and not change it out for a couple weeks. I just can’t imagine they could top some of the stuff on there so don’t really care about listening to more. I don’t like Ben’s voice but some of his melodies are wonderful. Shhmna, New Roll and the second half of Big Spider are what make me love that album. But yeah, not particularly excited about this album and just figured maybe some other people will be.

I love this band. Studio and live. Hozi's drumming is way up there for me, and she's not a gearhead - I think it's the same kit she's had her whole life. All 3 just seem to work so well together, including their vocals.

Night Terror is my favorite, too, start to finish. However, all of their albums - including the split with YW - have memorable tracks. Will wait to order when it is released, not expecting many surprises, but I don't need that with them. ERR's favorite band fwiw.

Thanks for starting a thread, definitely worthy!

1 minute ago, drds89 said:

I love this band. Studio and live. Hozi's drumming is way up there for me, and she's not a gearhead - I think it's the same kit she's had her whole life. All 3 just seem to work so well together, including their vocals.

Night Terror is my favorite, too, start to finish. However, all of their albums - including the split with YW - have memorable tracks. Will wait to order when it is released, not expecting many surprises, but I don't need that with them. ERR's favorite band fwiw.

Thanks for starting a thread, definitely worthy!

I should definitely listen to some more. I always get stuck on certain albums and have that mentality I described in my post above. It’s one of those things I am trying to get better at not doing as I get older. I was obsessed with the first Sparklehorse album without ever bothering to listen to any of their other output for a good five years before listening to the other albums and could probably write a book about how much I love every song from them nowadays. I’ll have to go through the Helms Alee discography chronologically soon. 

8 hours ago, Bronchitis said:

Honestly, I have never listened to anything after their first album but I do really love that one. I’ll throw that CD in my car and not change it out for a couple weeks. I just can’t imagine they could top some of the stuff on there so don’t really care about listening to more. I don’t like Ben’s voice but some of his melodies are wonderful. Shhmna, New Roll and the second half of Big Spider are what make me love that album. But yeah, not particularly excited about this album and just figured maybe some other people will be.

No harm in making the new thread, just wanted to see if I was personally the odd man out.  I've also caught them live a time or two, and yeah – just not my cup, I guess.  Judging by Don's post there is plenty of love for Helms here at VC.

7 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I was obsessed with the first Sparklehorse album without ever bothering to listen to any of their other output for a good five years before listening to the other albums and could probably write a book about how much I love every song from them nowadays. I’ll have to go through the Helms Alee discography chronologically soon. 

Is that 1995 album a good place to start with Sparklehorse?  I've seen the name around for ages but have never committed to trying them out.

Just now, Derek™ said:

Is that 1995 album a good place to start with Sparklehorse?  I've seen the name around for ages but have never committed to trying them out.

Not to pigeonhole you, but knowing your general musical taste, I’d say go with It’s a Wonderful Life first and move backwards if you are into it. That one is very spacious, somber and just an all around beautiful work of art. The first record is what I guess I would call alt-country with some more experimental sounds thrown in, with the second expanding on that. Lots of really interesting found sounds and manipulation. The third, It’s a Wonderful Life, is the work of a man who figured out what he wanted to do and executed it perfectly. One of the best fall/winter albums I can think of. I feel like even if you aren’t super into Sparklehorse, you will still respect Mark Linkous as an artist. Dude was a genius and a national treasure and the world is a worse place without him in it. Maybe one of these days I will make a Mark Linkous appreciation thread because I think my friends and family are a bit tired of me geeking out about him.