PO Now: Katatonia - Night Is The New Day 10th Anniversary

Swear there's some other Katatonia fans in here right? If not why not? I can't believe this album is already ten years old, there's also a Tour where the band will be playing this in full.

katatonia-night-is-the-new-day-10th-anniversary-180g-coloured-2lp-vinyl?u=aHR0cHM6Ly9tdXNpY2dsdWUtdXNlci1hcHAtcC0xLXAuczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9vcmlnaW5hbHMvODI3NzAxNmYtOWRkOC00NGJjLTljNTQtMWM1NjU5YWFiZTU2&mode=fit&width=600

The Blurb:

KATATONIA, the Swedish purveyors of dark progressive rock/metal, are starting to make their first moves after an idle year of stillness.

Says the band: "We will begin our return with a celebration of our album 'Night Is The New Day', which turns 10 years now in 2019. For the album's 10th anniversary, Peaceville are set to release a deluxe edition of this classic album on 17th May 2019, and to further commemorate this dark gem, we will return to the live arena to play 'Night Is The New Day' in its entirety at six select club shows in Europe in May.

"The 10th-anniversary edition of 'Night Is The New Day' will feature new cover artwork from longtime collaborator Travis Smith, a glorious hi-res 5.1 remix created (for the first time) by Bruce Soord and sleeve notes by renowned journalist Dom Lawson."

Tracklist:

1. Forsaker 
2. The Longest Year 
3. Idle Blood 

4. Onward Into Battle 
5. Liberation 
6. The Promise Of Deceit 

7. Nephilim 
8. New Night 
9. Day And Then The Shade 

10. Inheritance 
11. Ashen 
12. Departer

Double LP on red scheduled for release on May 17th. (Love the fact they've added in the bonus tracks before Departer because you can't not end the album on that song it wouldn't be right)

Oddly they're also releasing a deluxe 10" book version similar in style to the last two studio albums but instead of the album on vinyl it's just a 10" of the longest year EP as well as two CDs and a DVD.  Full tracklist for that here:

48 page hardback book. 
10" vinyl (The Longest Year EP) 
CD Album 
CD B sides and additional tracks 
5.1 disc with hi res audio (+ The Longest Year / Day & Then The Shade videos) 
New Travis Smith Art, plus sleevenotes by Dom Lawson 

CD1 
Track Listing 
01. Forsaker 
02. The Longest Year 
03. Idle Blood 
04. Onward Into Battle 
05. Liberation 
06. The Promise Of Deceit 
07. Nephilim 
08. New Night 
09. Day And Then The Shade 
10. Inheritance 
11. Departer 

CD2 
Track Listing 
01. Ashen 
02. Sold Heart 
03. Day And Then The Shade (Frank Default remix) 
04. Idle Blood (Linje 14) 
05. Forsaker (Live @ Summer Breeze, Dinkelsbühl, Germany 2012) 
06. Liberation (Live @ Summer Breeze, Dinkelsbühl, Germany 2012) 
07. The Promise Of Deceit (Live @ Koko, London, UK 2011) 
08. The Longest Year (Live @ Koko, London, UK 2011) 
09. Nephilim (Live @ Koko, London, UK 2011) 
10. New Night ((Live @ Koko, London, UK 2011)
11. Idle Blood (Live @ Union Chapel, London, UK 2014) 

DVD 
Track Listing 
01. Forsaker 5.1 
02. The Longest Year 5.1 
03. Idle Blood 5.1 
04. Onward Into Battle 5.1 
05. Liberation 5.1 
06. The Promise Of Deceit 5.1 
07. Nephilim 5.1 
08. New Night 5.1 
09. Day And Then The Shade 5.1 
10. Inheritance 5.1 
11. Departer 5.1 
12. Ashen 5.1 
13. Sold Heart 5.1 
14. The Longest Year (video) 
15. Day And Then The Shade (video) 

10" vinyl (The Longest Year EP) 
Track Listing 
A1. The Longest Year 
A2. Sold Heart 
B1. Day And Then The Shade
B2. Idle Blood (Linje 14)

EU link: https://www.omerch.eu/shop/katatonia

No US link but will throw one up/add to the post if I'm made aware of one.

1 hour ago, Sasan said:

Thats deluxe edition is nonsense!

Will buy the red one. One of my favorites by Katatonia!

thinking about catching them on the short 10year anniversary tour

I got tickets for the London show for me and my younger brother as we've been talking about the likelihood of this sort of tour after they did the same thing for Great Cold Distance and it lines up with his birthday so it was a no brainer gift. I'll likely snag the 2LP and some merch at the gig.

The deluxe is a weird item for sure and its clearly trying to fit in with the deluxe 10" sets for the last two studio albums, I have both of those and the Dead End Kings  one especially is really nice. I can see why they might wanna make something similar for fans of their artwork or OCD nuts who are looking for a tidy shelf but why the EP on disc and not the album? Maybe it's too long an album even sans bonus tracks? If memory serves they didn't offer this sort of set with the last re-issue they did for the Great Cold Distance as well so why are some albums getting this artbook edition and not others? It's a head-scratcher. Kind of reminds me of how Prophecy often include extras on their cd artbook editions you cant even get with their fancier vinyl variants.

44 minutes ago, morfiend said:

I love Katatonia but they sure milk their album anniversaries lol. I’ve been listening to Fall Of Hearts a lot this week, it’s grown on me quite a bit since it was originally released. I wish someday they’d do a Brave Murder Day anniversary tour and get Mikael from Opeth involved.

Lovely idea but I imagine pigs flying is more likely.  Akerfeldt is too busy trying to sell people on his brand of dad friendly prog to do anything with that much bite.

Renske can deliver last time I saw them they played Gateways Of Bereavement, whether he'd have the staying power to do a whole gig of roaring I dunno but they're capable of throwing that shit in.

As far as Fall Of Hearts goes and in fact pretty much everything these guys have done there are albums I like less than others but they've never made an album that is outright unlistenable and I still instantly drop money as new ones are announced with no remorse so far. 

It just seems like such a missed opportunity not to do some sort of Brave Murder Day celebration while the band is still active but yeah, I’m certainly not holding my breathe. I agree that Katatonia have never released a bad album, they’re one of the most consistent bands of their genre. I hope the time off from the band did them some good, it seemed like they were close to breaking up.

2 minutes ago, morfiend said:

It just seems like such a missed opportunity not to do some sort of Brave Murder Day celebration while the band is still active but yeah, I’m certainly not holding my breathe. I agree that Katatonia have never released a bad album, they’re one of the most consistent bands of their genre. I hope the time off from the band did them some good, it seemed like they were close to breaking up.

I don't know if I got that vibe I mean Anders and Jonas are now the principal songwriters for Bloodbath and they put out an album last year so its not like the two main guys of Katatonia can't stand being in the same room anymore so I wasn't worried. That and Jonas doing a few guest spots with The Ocean & Off The Cross made it seem more like a holiday.

Still me and my brother would snap up tickets to a Brave Murder Day event and no doubt the demand is there elsewhere in the fanbase. If Jonas couldn't handle the vocals and Akerfeldt was in the wind the guys are easily wired into the music scene enough to find a suitable stand in vocalist. 

20 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I don't know if I got that vibe I mean Anders and Jonas are now the principal songwriters for Bloodbath and they put out an album last year so its not like the two main guys of Katatonia can't stand being in the same room anymore so I wasn't worried. That and Jonas doing a few guest spots with The Ocean & Off The Cross made it seem more like a holiday.

Still me and my brother would snap up tickets to a Brave Murder Day event and no doubt the demand is there elsewhere in the fanbase. If Jonas couldn't handle the vocals and Akerfeldt was in the wind the guys are easily wired into the music scene enough to find a suitable stand in vocalist. 

Yeah it was more the impression I was getting via the band’s social media presence when they announced the hiatus. Whenever a band says they’re “re-evaluating things” it makes me worry. At any rate, I’m hoping they announce some North American dates soon for this tour, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen them.