06/02: Seattle, WA – Tractor Tavern
06/05: San Francisco, CA – Slims
06/06: Los Angeles, CA – Roxy
06/07: San Diego, CA – Casbah
06/08: Tustin, CA – Marty’s on Newport
06/09: Phoenix, AZ – Valley Bar
06/10: Albuquerque, NM – Launch Pad
06/12: Austin, TX – Parish
06/13: Houston, TX – White Oak Music Hall (upstairs)
06/15: Atlanta, GA – The Earl
06/16: Carrboro, NC – Cat’s Cradle
06/21: Holyoke, MA – Gateway City Arts Center
06/22: Boston, MA – The Sinclair
07/11: Montreal, PQ – Ritz*
07/12: Toronto, ON – Horsehoe Tavern*
07/13: Detroit, MI – Shelter*
07/14: Cleveland, OH – Grog Shop*
07/16: Cincinnati, OH – Woodward Theatre*
07/17: St. Louis, MO – The Ready Room*
07/18: Nashville, TN – Exit/In*
07/19: Birmingham, AL – Saturn*
07/20: Charlotte, NC – The Underground*
07/22: Richmond, VA – Richmond Music Hall*
07/23: Washington, DC – Black Cat*
07/24: Philadlephia, PA – Underground Arts*
07/26: New York, NY – Bowery Ballroom*
07/27: Asbury Park, NJ – Asbury Lanes*

* w/ Eleanor Friedberger

I do wish Sub Pop would reissue Smash Your Head, Bubble and Harmacy

You guys see that Joyful Noise Facebook post about this release?  

Today we are sad to report that one of our seminal bands, Sebadoh, has left the label. 

This news came as a shock to us, and it has left us feeling disheartened, and a little betrayed. I have been talking with the band about they’re new album for over a year, and the release was already well underway with JNR (audio was delivered, mastering was scheduled, we assigned a catalog number, we worked with the band to adjust sequencing for vinyl side-splits, artwork was delivered, we scheduled the release with our distributor, and we had confirmed the final draft of the contract with their attorney) when rather abruptly, the rug was pulled out from under us.

Without our knowledge, the band and their management were shopping for a better advance behind our backs… I was informed about this only after it was a done deal. After their manager repeatedly avoided our calls and emails, Lou took it upon himself to call me and explain that the band had accepted another label offer for an advance amount that was more than double what we had offered, and that their deal with this new label was already completed (even though just days before the band’s lawyer had confirmed the final changes to the JNR contract). So instead of this being a release with JNR (in North America) and Domino (rest of world), the new Sebadoh album will be released by Dangerbird (North America) and Fire Records (world).

This situation cuts us deep…  Sebadoh is a band that helped establish Joyful Noise as a legit label, and over the past 7+ years we have worked with these guys on countless projects (solo albums and side-projects from every member, tons of limited singles, etc.). Sebadoh feels like part of the DNA of the label… My desk is even made out of the pallets that delivered the first pressing of ‘Defend Yourself’ vinyl.

I understand that in this situation a lot of people might be thinking “it’s just business - they have a right to go where the money is”, and I definitely get that. I don't fault the band for taking a payday. I know what it’s like to struggle financially, and a huge up-front advance is obviously more of a financial guarantee than our profit share model can provide. But I am hurt that they didn't extend JNR the courtesy of transparency. Given all the care / creativity / energy we have put into the band over the years, I had hoped that our relationship would have transcended money just a little bit... It feels like a betrayal to cut us out in the 11th hour, without even allowing us the opportunity to counter-offer. 

I don't wish the band any ill-will. We remain fans and advocates of Sebadoh, and their new album is really fantastic. I hope I can listen to it again someday without any negative connotations. 

- Karl Hofstetter
Founder / Curator”

Edited by Velocity of Sound

I dunno. The post seemed pretty fine to me. It was made on their Facebook page to their customers who are pretty used to transparency and probably did have questions as to what happened. They got the story off their chest and expressed their disappointment without switching into making declarative statements about the character of Lou or the band, which is probably as good as a balance of honesty and professionalism that you can get without defaulting to the boilerplate "We're excited to see our friends move on to their new home!" press release. The only thing it really whiffed on was defending the band from having the unsavory details shared publicly, which only really means anything if you're invested in covering for the band. As a mild fan of each side, it seems like JNR is bummed and sharing what happened is their way of dealing with being blindsided as people and they're not interested in going after the band beyond telling what happened.

All that said, JNR needs to step up their quality control of their actual physical records and tighten up their white label release choices a tad. If anyone wants to get on them for that stuff, I'll join your hate squad. :P

As someone who’s been involved in something similar to this situation, you keep your mouth shut and don’t make yourself look like an ass publicly. No one really cares enough for them to have to explain themselves (did/do people really care when bands change labels?) and try and garner sympathy. JNR have been doing this long enough to know this. That’s it.

1 hour ago, MyEnemy said:

As someone who’s been involved in something similar to this situation, you keep your mouth shut and don’t make yourself look like an ass publicly. No one really cares enough for them to have to explain themselves (did/do people really care when bands change labels?) and try and garner sympathy. JNR have been doing this long enough to know this. That’s it.

Yup. This was handled horribly 

I read the JFN Facebook post today and was pretty much embarrassed for them, glad Lou responded to it too.  There really was zero reason for it and the whole we want to be transparent thing is pretty dumb.  Bands hop from labels all the time and labels drop bands all the time no big deal.  Lou has put out a lot of stuff on that label in the years he’s been there, they should’ve just wished him well.

• 2 months later...