PO Now: Mac Demarco - Here Comes The Cowboy

Sounds like Mac is really "winding down" in recent years. Last album was a big change of pace, slower, acoustic (and probably my least favorite)... this new song sounds similar. I'm trying to avoid using the term "boring," I do love his work (especially the first few releases.) It's just that, this sound isn't what I'd come to MD to hear. I feel like his high energy, chorus/reverb drenched indie sound is what drew most people to him, and it's like he's not into doing that kinda music anymore? 

P.S. the new single has grown on me a bit. initially I wasn't feeling it much. we'll see how this album turns out, I just don't want This Old Dog 2.

Edited by defectiveepitaph

1 minute ago, defectiveepitaph said:

Sounds like Mac is really "winding down" in recent years. Last album was a big change of pace, slower, introspective... this new song sounds similar. I'm trying to avoid using the term "boring," I do love his work (especially the first few releases.) But I feel like his high energy, chorus/reverb drenched indie sound is what drew most people to him, and it's like he's not into doing that kinda music anymore? 

He's certainly slowed down his pace. I didn't love This Old Dog when it was first released but it legitimately grew into my favorite LP of his - sorta similar to what happened with Another One.

1 hour ago, lethalenforcer said:

He's certainly slowed down his pace. I didn't love This Old Dog when it was first released but it legitimately grew into my favorite LP of his - sorta similar to what happened with Another One.

This Old Dog is my favorite proper Mac album, and if I'm being honest, my favorite overall is the Old Dog Demos. I'm excited to see where he goes on this one, as long as he keeps evolving as an artist.

6 minutes ago, SE7EN said:

Definitely in for the album... Not totally blown away, but the new track is pretty decent.

Wonder why the comments and likes/dislikes are disabled for the video?

Probably because of the slew of internet weirdos who think he's being a misogynist for having a similar album and song name to Mitski

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mac's novelty has worn off for me. 

All these slow songs are just so boring. He isn't an amazing songwriter, singer, or even a very talented instrumentalist.  It'd be one thing if he could write some intricate layered guitar parts, or at least a technical piano/keyboard section, but it's all so remedial and he just makes it weird by pitch shifting the tape he records on.  

I dont know. I own all of his other material and am not eager to buy this latest release. 

14 minutes ago, zdkaiser said:

All these slow songs are just so boring. He isn't an amazing songwriter, singer, or even a very talented instrumentalist.  It'd be one thing if he could write some intricate layered guitar parts, or at least a technical piano/keyboard section, but it's all so remedial and he just makes it weird by pitch shifting the tape he records on.  

I dont know. I own all of his other material and am not eager to buy this latest release. 

I feel you. Its not this its bad but this brings nothing new to the table. I think Mac has run its course

On 3/8/2019 at 9:23 AM, ethereal said:

everything since SD has been very dull, the dude just has an obsessive fan base that thinks everything he does is 10/10 and groundbreaking.

nothing against him, I think he’s alright but he’s not as special as fans and media hype him to be.

1 hour ago, zdkaiser said:

It's worn off for me too. I really liked 2 and Salad Days, and was weary of This Old Dog as the single sounded like more of the same, but wound up really like it – at first. It went out of rotation pretty fast.

I know he's got a rabid fanbase but I'm still shocked he's sold out 3 nights in a row at one of the biggest non-stadiums in town this weekend. A few years ago he was playing maybe 2 nights at much smaller, intimate venues, which fit him far better.