PO: Defeater - Defeater LP (2019)

All these new songs would be so good if I could just hear the damn vocals. Don't want to beat a dead horse but this is far worse than La Dispute imo - at least LD kind of has that ambient aesthetic going on. This is supposed to be a hardcore band, such a shame...

If anyone is going to a record release show and wouldn't mind picking me up a screen-print copy, I'd gladly hook you up. 

I agree, the vocals are mixed way way low, but it's not getting in the way of me enjoying the hell out of this. Confident it'll stand out less with repeated listens, just like La Dispute's latest. 

Also, can anyone confirm if that's Pat Flynn on Foxholes? Sounds just like him.

Edited by CrucialCoast

Boston show was sick last night. Defeater sounded absolutely fantastic. They had a /100 screenprint record release variant. Not sure if it's /100 per night or /100 total or if the screenprint is different each night.

Born Without Bones and One Step Closer played great sets too. If you're going to one of the other three shows, make sure to get there early! Don't sleep on 'em.

The low vocals on this don’t even come close to the unforgivable abomination that the new LD album is, in my opinion.  I can’t even listen to that album.  It’s complete garbage & just makes me mad.  Because there are great songs there.

First pass through this album I haven’t heard a song I don’t like.  Really digging it.

Edited by mrewest
THERE/THEY’RE/THEIR

On 5/7/2019 at 10:49 AM, Buffbloom said:

I'd really love to hear the difference between these albums that Yip produced vs. if a different producer did them.  A lot of us shit on him a lot, and I was totally shitting on him when I first listened to this song today.  I just wish there was a comparison to see if the songs would actually be better with a different producer.

This. I just want to hear like one song with the same recordings but mixed by someone else so I can have resolution and go "yeah Yip needs to stop mixing" or "oh wow this could have been even worse if Yip hadn't mixed it."

8 hours ago, pemulis said:

Unpopular opinion: I like the mix. To me the vocals are part of the band and not necessarily the focal point. And I think it works. 

Also, this album is a banger. 

The difference is that I'm not trying to figure out what the fuck the guitars are trying to say to tell a story. It'd be like if a movie had a soundtrack that played during the entire movie that made it difficult to follow the plot.