PO Now: The National - I Am Easy To Find

2 minutes ago, pukebileforever said:

Anybody with a Cherry Tree membership that doesn’t plan on ordering the store exclusive of this wanna help me out and order one for me? I can kick in some extra for the effort.

That’s a tall order here on Vinylcollective but I guess crazier things have happened.  I’d try to hit up Facebook comments with a request that ambitious.

Anyone check out the new single yet?

If anyone is planning to use the Cherry Tree membership for early access to their concerts, be aware that their special Los Angeles concert went on sale last week.  I am not a CT member and I did not buy a ticket, but CT members complained long and loud that they could not get tickets with their advance passwords.

4 minutes ago, jackshidt said:

If anyone is planning to use the Cherry Tree membership for early access to their concerts, be aware that their special Los Angeles concert went on sale last week.  I am not a CT member and I did not buy a ticket, but CT members complained long and loud that they could not get tickets with their advance passwords.

They heard the complaints and, within a few hours, they coordinated a 2nd pre-sale through a different provider and a lot more people were able to get tickets. The initial sale was a cluster but the response and remedy was immediate and A+. IMO, the CT club team have done a great job of listening to their members and providing a good service for their $50.

Edited by swb

38 minutes ago, The Saint said:

I'm doing something wrong. Signed up for Cherry Tree and every time I try to checkout with the exclusive variant, it asks me to sign in. I use the email and password I used for signing up, but I'm getting an error that won't let me sign in and consequently, checkout.

I was just having this exact problem. I think it might have been a glitch because I had to change my password today. I changed my password again a second time and it worked.

9 minutes ago, pepperonigin said:

I don't know why people were complaining. A presale code guarantees you nothing and you are competing with hundreds of other crazed fans. Nice that they did another presale but they really didn't have to.

I mean, if your POV leans towards nihilist guy on the internet, yeah, we are owed nothing and the only thing we can complain about is being brought into this life without our consent and/or killed for our food/land resources in a Mad Max style fantasy or something. :P But, in less exciting, practical terms, the service they initially used had technical issues and the initial allotment of tickets was a bit too small for their club size, which led too a bit too many members being in the 'no luck' pile despite being there at the right time.

You're definitely right that they didn't have to react and do the 2nd pre-sale but they wanted to because (IMO) they do care about being a good club. The National have always had a fond appreciation for R.E.M. and their Cherry Tree club reminds me a lot of the R.E.M. club in it's thoughtfulness towards the product and service and appreciation of members. Other bands and clubs might back away from the reaction and stay hands off but good on CT and the National for doing what they could to give more members a chance.

Edited by swb

3 minutes ago, swb said:

I mean, if your POV leans towards nihilist guy on the internet,

Honestly I'm just sick of listening to entitled people think they are guaranteed something as if being a member of a fairly large artist's fan club guarantees you the best of the best. From what I've seen Cherry Tree has excellent customer service and I'm glad they went above and beyond, more artists and services should give a shit. There's no anger here and I don't consider myself a nihilist, more a realist. Sometimes things don't go the way you want and in the end they don't owe you anything.

Did anyone note this part on Cherry Tree:

Each ticket purchased for the tour shows in North America (including the April ones) comes with a redemption code for the digital version of the album. That code can also be used to upgrade for a discounted physical album.

Trying to figure this out...

Edited by tvrec
qualified NA shows

4 minutes ago, pepperonigin said:

Honestly I'm just sick of listening to entitled people think they are guaranteed something as if being a member of a fairly large artist's fan club guarantees you the best of the best. From what I've seen Cherry Tree has excellent customer service and I'm glad they went above and beyond, more artists and services should give a shit. There's no anger here and I don't consider myself a nihilist, more a realist. Sometimes things don't go the way you want and in the end they don't owe you anything.

I was joking and being self-deprecating since I understand where you're coming from. If we're talking in a general sense I think we agree but I think this scenario is a bit different than a normal public pre-sale where some people miss out, both in the logistical specs of the situation and the wrinkle that the National are a little more appreciative of fans than the average band and wanted a better pre-sale experience for their members. People still missed out on the second pre-sale but there was not a massive backlash afterward because it went more smoothly and those folks understood that they had their fair chance and it didn't work out. For the most part, I feel like National fans are a tiny bit more understanding than some of the other VC band constituencies, which I think are better examples of your point about people whining if things aren't perfect. :)

1 minute ago, tvrec said:

Did anyone note this part on Cherry Tree:

Each ticket purchased for the tour shows in North America (including the April ones) comes with a redemption code for the digital version of the album. That code can also be used to upgrade for a discounted physical album.

Trying to figure this out...

I think they did this with Sleep Well Beast and it was a few bucks knocked off a less limited variant (maybe the white one?). Good if you don't need the most rare variant or an ASAP pre-order copy and can wait until you buy tickets.

31 minutes ago, simple_torture said:

I haven't bought tickets, but, honestly, I think the package with the Vol. 1 vinyl and access to the new album's variant has been worth the price of admission.

If you do sign up today, do you know if you still get vol 1, or do you just get whatever is announced later in the year only?

If this was The National's clever way of convincing me to (finally) pull the trigger on Cherry Tree, then... Mission accomplished. 

Question: Are the presale shows also going on sale to the general public? Obviously the big festival ones are, but I'm talking the small venues... like The Roxy in ATL. That place is tiny. Fairly certain The National could sell that out solely through the presale, but I have to assume the usual outlets (TM, etc) will get at least 50% of the tickets or more. Since the floor is GA, more than 2 of us could go, assuming we can all snag tickets.

15 minutes ago, filthyrich said:

If this was The National's clever way of convincing me to (finally) pull the trigger on Cherry Tree, then... Mission accomplished. 

Question: Are the presale shows also going on sale to the general public? Obviously the big festival ones are, but I'm talking the small venues... like The Roxy in ATL. That place is tiny. Fairly certain The National could sell that out solely through the presale, but I have to assume the usual outlets (TM, etc) will get at least 50% of the tickets or more. Since the floor is GA, more than 2 of us could go, assuming we can all snag tickets.

So far, there have been no actual shows that are member only (the sound check shows may have been member only). If that changes, I imagine they'd let you know in their email. They explicitly mention that tickets are limited and not everyone will get one in their correspondence for previous shows.

Edited by swb

Just now, armadillo01 said:

I'm hyped for the 3LP. Any chance it will show up in stores?

RoughTrade has the 3xLP up on their site and BullMoose said they'll have it but didn't confirm if it's the color version yet. I'd assume so. If that's the case, it should be available everywhere.