PO Now: The National - I Am Easy To Find

16 minutes ago, iameasytofind said:

got shipping notification too, also from michigan, media mail, so most likely won't arrive before friday.

my other copy (3LP) is coming from amoeba.

i'm expecting the clear from amoeba (no shipping confirmation yet) and 3LP from amazon UK but that says june 4 for some reason.

i didn't even really realise i was ordering 3 variants, i almost bought the black the other too.

someone needs to save me from myself.

37 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Album is so fucking great

It really is.

I expected the guest vocalists to cause a stir amongst fans who are expecting the same heavy dose of Matt but I honestly didn't even consider that there'd be a minority of fans who take offense over the guest performers specifically being women and people of color. Seeing a guy on the National sub-Reddit lose his shit because women are singing on his National album is like a little cherry on top of this really beautiful, inspiring music sundae.

Edited by swb

I love the guest vocalists. I hope they do release an all Matt Rylan (similar to the alt version of Terrible Love) just given how the fanbase has reacted to that song over the years. It was a surprise to have the female vox come in. That being said, I've always loved Matt harmonizing with the women they've had on their records. This follows suit. So great.

Edited by timsimmons

28 minutes ago, swb said:

It really is.

I expected the guest vocalists to cause a stir amongst fans who are expecting the same heavy dose of Matt but I honestly didn't even consider that there'd be a minority of fans who take offense over the guest performers specifically being women and people of color. Seeing a guy on the National sub-Reddit lose his shit because women are singing on his National album is like a little cherry on top of this really beautiful, inspiring music sundae.

As long as there aren't any Jews I think the coloreds won't bother me.

33 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I love the guest vocalists. I hope they do release an all Matt Rylan (similar to the alt version of Terrible Love) just given how the fanbase has reacted to that song over the years. It was a surprise to have the female vox come in. That being said, I've always loved Matt harmonizing with the women they've had on their records. This follows suit. So great.

They got this rare opportunity to do something kind of brazen and weird, 20 years into a pretty solid and consistent showbiz career, and they went for it. R.E.M. did something similar with Up but I Am Easy to Find is more successful at what it's aiming for, it's more bold in it's dialing back of it's lead singer (versus ditching a full time drummer), and it comes in their prime (versus after some 'at-the-time' missteps like R.E.M. 'departure record' did). I'm loving this long, wild, laid back, weird album.

On 5/13/2019 at 9:10 PM, lethalenforcer said:

I have spent 20mins trying to order this but cannot work out how to create an account. There is an option to Login but not register an account and if I checkout the only option given is to log in. beats me!

2 minutes ago, mondie said:

I have spent 20mins trying to order this but cannot work out how to create an account. There is an option to Login but not register an account and if I checkout the only option given is to log in. beats me!

Join here: https://americanmary.com/cherry-tree/

Then they'll email you (not automatically) with login information for the store. Once you're logged into the store you can purchase that LP.

16 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

Join here: https://americanmary.com/cherry-tree/

Then they'll email you (not automatically) with login information for the store. Once you're logged into the store you can purchase that LP.

Thanks, Lethal, I didn't realise this was another vinyl club. Think I will just buy a regular copy.

Cheers

I’m hearing so many phenomenal things about this record, especially from friends with opinions I trust well.  Not sure why I haven’t sat down with the leak yet.  I may just wait until release day.  Part of me is conflicted on whether I should watch the film beforehand to get more out of the album, or vice-versa.

19 minutes ago, mondie said:

Thanks, Lethal, I didn't realise this was another vinyl club. Think I will just buy a regular copy.

Cheers

it's not a "vinyl club" as such. it's the national's fan club, and there's a special variant release of IAETF just for club members (1 per member).

fwiw there's also an annual vinyl release only for club members.

vol 1 of this annual release is currently listed on discogs for $325 and has actually sold for $290

the $50 gets you access to order the club variant of IAETF and the annual club record, as well as pre-sale access to live show tickets.

Edited by Paddy

9 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I’d say play the album then the film. The songs in the film are different mixes/versions than the album. But the songs informed the film, so knowing them before will also help inform you for the film. 

honestly when comparing the film score versions of the tracks to the live arrangements, i much preferred the film score (it's the only reason i ordered the 3xLP).

i haven't heard the studio arrangements of most of the tracks (light years is excellent, though).

basically whichever way you go, it's not like one way will spoil either work. 

this may be the best National record ever from a technical and composition angle and removing any nostalgia one might have with the Alligator/Boxer/High Violet eras - Berniger's lyrics have never been better and switching up the dynamic by having a multitude of different voices signing on it prevents the band from eating its own tail and reigniting their creativity. 

this record probably cements the band - for me at least - with one of the greatest discographies in all of music of all time.