PO Now: The National - I Am Easy To Find

1 hour ago, dreamover said:

Can anyone post a tracklist with the guest vocalists? Can’t find it anywhere. 

I think i can guess a few but I’m really digging the record. 

I haven't seen it, the Discogs listings are pretty bare, but those should get very detailed in the next few days. 

3LP and Cherry Tree exclusive came in today. Few notes:

- 3LP includes a poster that the CT version does not

- The brush stroke detail on the jacket is embossed and glossy on the CT version, but not the 3LP

- F-side etching on the 3LP is boring

- Download codes aren't active until Friday and do not include the score :(

- CT colors are duller than the mockup:

spacer.png

Edited by fondfarewell

After just one listen, this definitely has a more collaborative feel rather than a straight up new release by the band(probably because it is). I didn't realize there would be added singers on every song. It's good, but not great. Every album since Trouble Will Find Me has been a slow grower for me. I'm hoping this one grows after multiple listens.

32 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

After just one listen, this definitely has a more collaborative feel rather than a straight up new release by the band(probably because it is). I didn't realize there would be added singers on every song. It's good, but not great. Every album since Trouble Will Find Me has been a slow grower for me. I'm hoping this one grows after multiple listens.

The guest features were described in great detail pretty early on, from what I recall.  Not that I expect every National fan to nerd out over the fine print of each press release, but I remember reading about it when the PO first went up and thinking “huh.  That’s... different”.

That being said, I’ve put 3 listens into the album over the week and I have to say it’s pretty fantastic.  Undeniably National in my opinion, even with all the guest spots.  Matt is very much present on the record.  It just feels like they have even more dynamics blended into their already-impressive roster of sounds.  This band’s discography is one of the most expansive and simultaneously consistent things I’ve ever heard, and it’s boggling to reflect on the ground they’ve covered in the last couple of decades.  There are so many A+ arrangements on this album, with piano and drums especially feeling right at home.  I’m eager to continue unpacking it with repeated listens, but so far it feels like the brighter counterpart to SWB’s glitch-riddled, moody atmosphere.  I’m stoked on it, and impressed that The National continue to carve out engaging notches into their belt after all this time.  Anyone “stuck” on the additional vocals are missing out, and I encourage them to approach them as supplemental brush strokes to the band’s canvas, and not as detractor’s from Matt’s spotlight.

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

The guest features were described in great detail pretty early on, from what I recall.  Not that I expect every National fan to nerd out over the fine print of each press release, but I remember reading about it when the PO first went up and thinking “huh.  That’s... different”.

That being said, I’ve put 3 listens into the album over the week and I have to say it’s pretty fantastic.  Undeniably National in my opinion, even with all the guest spots.  Matt is very much present on the record.  It just feels like they have even more dynamics blended into their already-impressive roster of sounds.  This band’s discography is one of the most expansive and simultaneously consistent things I’ve ever heard, and it’s boggling to reflect on the ground they’ve covered in the last couple of decades.  There are so many A+ arrangements on this album, with piano and drums especially feeling right at home.  I’m eager to continue unpacking it with repeated listens, but so far it feels like the brighter counterpart to SWB’s glitch-riddled, moody atmosphere.  I’m stoked on it, and impressed that The National continue to carve out engaging notches into their belt after all this time.  Anyone “stuck” on the additional vocals are missing out, and I encourage them to approach them as supplemental brush strokes to the band’s canvas, and not as detractor’s from Matt’s spotlight.

Yeah, I don't go all fanboy with this band, though strangely enough, I do find myself listening to them almost every week. I knew there were going to be guests, just not on every song. I feel that the arrangements and production have been declining. It's just sounding thinner and thinner with every album. I prefer the warm, lush sounds of their previous records. Anyway, not looking to get into some sort of debate/pissing match with anyone who feels differently, because listening and reading people pontificating/babbling at great length about music can get annoying. Like I said, only one listen and I'm hoping it grows on me after more.

24 minutes ago, Paddy said:

here's a somewhat related question, what are the best options for outer sleeves to fit tri-gatefold jackets like this 3xLP deluxe?

Haven’t sleeved mine yet, but I usually use sleeves from this line for something like this:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/958/180-gram-record-supplies

Note that calling them 180g sleeves is a bit unhelpful, since standard 180g releases fit fine in normal sleeves. But these are good for anything smaller than a boxset that requires some extra room.