PO Now: The National - I Am Easy To Find

1 hour ago, januarytwenty said:

Album is probably ranked lowest out of all of their discography in my opinion. The guest features don’t make sense and a lot of song sequencing seem weird. Sucks that we had to wait this long for a disappointment. 

I'm in this mindset, although I don't think it's complete disappointment. I really wish Mills hadn't been the producer. as a whole album this is prbly the lowest ranked for me too

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

listening for the first time right now, just got goosebumps when that piano comes in for the first time in oblivions. that is as "typical" a national song as you'll find. 

side a is very good in my opinion.

side A > side B

3 minutes ago, iameasytofind said:

wow, even lower than the earliest album? 

someone actually did ask during the Q&A “why do you guys pretend like the first album don’t exist?”

from start  to finish, i really think it's lower than that for me. it's way too long, the "interludes" are completely worthless, the pacing of side B is terrible. the only saving grace of side B is Rylan. just biding my time until a 2010 blue s/t pressing comes shows up somewhere

i did a fist bump when i saw the video of that Q&A - i'm fucking glad that guy mentioned that, maybe that'll be a seed in their mind for the next LP

21 hours ago, hobbesthecat said:

but i wish they brought in a producer who can reign in their talents and come out with a diamond

i have to say, i really enjoy the production a lot (in particular the sort of fractal/glitch impulse in the drumming and synth programming). feels like a really nice contemporary take on the sort of Feel Good Lost-era Broken Social Scene sound. honestly would've really loved this as an instrumental album i bet haha, the cliche-heavy lyrical content & choral arrangements kinda make me take a step back.

i guess that's more about the production and less about a producer as a sort of editor figure, which is what i think you're more talking about – and in that sense i totallllly agree.

Edited by copelandkid

54 minutes ago, hobbesthecat said:

from start  to finish, i really think it's lower than that for me. it's way too long, the "interludes" are completely worthless, the pacing of side B is terrible. the only saving grace of side B is Rylan. just biding my time until a 2010 blue s/t pressing comes shows up somewhere

i did a fist bump when i saw the video of that Q&A - i'm fucking glad that guy mentioned that, maybe that'll be a seed in their mind for the next LP

I had a copy of the blue s/t pressing. Sold it for $300 and bought a $15 black copy instead. Then I just spent $75 on 2 variants of this new album and regret that.

First album is way better. "Theory of the Crows" is a top ten National song. 

57 minutes ago, ntslash said:

I had a copy of the blue s/t pressing. Sold it for $300 and bought a $15 black copy instead. Then I just spent $75 on 2 variants of this new album and regret that.

Seriously, ST album is one of their top 3 best releases (the other 2 being High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me). 

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

For a band that typically releases an album every 3-4 years, it's only been a year and a half since their last LP.

Additionally, 4AD announced the new album on March 5th – a month and a half ago.

But okay.

Sorry. I meant to say that they announced a hiatus or whatever it was. 

21 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Seriously, ST album is one of their top 3 best releases (the other 2 being High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me). 

This is crazy. How are Alligator and Boxer not the interchangeable 1&2. Both are unfuckwithable 

2 hours ago, ntslash said:

Is there a notable difference in pressing quality for the blue vs the black???

42 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Guess we gotta do this.

1. Alligator

2. Boxer 

3. Cherry Tree

4.  High Violet

5. Sleep Well Beast

6. Sad Songs

7. Trouble Will Find Me

8. s/t

don't know where the new one fits in. Maybe around 6/7. Goes to show how strong their catalog is.

TWFM being below SWB is insane!!!