PO Now: The National - I Am Easy To Find

1 hour ago, pepperonigin said:

Anyone have any luck, either now or in the past, e-mailing the official store? Contacted them a few days ago about a big gash on one of the records for a replacement but no word yet. I'm sure they're busy (especially now) but just curious.

I have not had to contact them, but I do recall the official store's warning regarding mailing options, which may affect your complaint depending on what shipping choice you made:

"BUYER BEWARE - WHILE SHIPPING ISSUES (LOSS, DAMAGE) ARE RARE , IF YOU CHOOSE MEDIA MAIL CLASS WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REFUND YOUR PURCHASE OR SEND REPLACEMENTS FOR DAMAGED OR LOST MEDIA, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, SEAM SPLITS, CORNER BENDS OR DINGS, AND WARPED RECORDS. "

1 hour ago, pepperonigin said:

Anyone have any luck, either now or in the past, e-mailing the official store? Contacted them a few days ago about a big gash on one of the records for a replacement but no word yet. I'm sure they're busy (especially now) but just curious.

My Cherry Tree Vol 1 had a bubble on the grooves that caused skips and they replaced it immediately. I think that site warning is to scare off people who might be tempted to view a tiny corner ding as an opportunity to get a free 2nd copy and as something they can revert back to if they’re stuck with a customer who is asking for something they can’t reasonably provide. I’d expect them to help you and give them a few more days and check back in.

1 hour ago, tvrec said:

I have not had to contact them, but I do recall the official store's warning regarding mailing options, which may affect your complaint depending on what shipping choice you made:

"BUYER BEWARE - WHILE SHIPPING ISSUES (LOSS, DAMAGE) ARE RARE , IF YOU CHOOSE MEDIA MAIL CLASS WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REFUND YOUR PURCHASE OR SEND REPLACEMENTS FOR DAMAGED OR LOST MEDIA, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, SEAM SPLITS, CORNER BENDS OR DINGS, AND WARPED RECORDS. "

I’m not sure what my shipping service was but regardless my issue has nothing to do with that. One of the records has a very healthy scratch so it seems like a manufacturing defect. They seem to be pretty good about this stuff generally so I’m not too worried but I’d like to get a replacement soon so I can really sink my teeth into the album. I’ll update the thread in case anyone has similar issues now or in the future. 

15 hours ago, pepperonigin said:

I’m not sure what my shipping service was but regardless my issue has nothing to do with that. One of the records has a very healthy scratch so it seems like a manufacturing defect. They seem to be pretty good about this stuff generally so I’m not too worried but I’d like to get a replacement soon so I can really sink my teeth into the album. I’ll update the thread in case anyone has similar issues now or in the future. 

Perhaps trying to really sink your teeth into the album is what caused the gash in your vinyl. 

3 hours ago, Plarocks said:

I INSTANTLY removed mine, and replaced it with a polysleeve from BU as soon as I opened it.

They REALLY should stop packaging records in these things. 😱

I know they’re annoying for many reasons, but is there any evidence they are actually harmful if not in direct contact with the record (e.g. most picture discs)?

On 5/21/2019 at 1:18 AM, Kanye West said:

this is the worst fucking list 

typical COS

Really??? It's way closer to my personal tastes than some of the lists on here. Maybe SSFDL is a little low (should probably be ahead of the new album). That's about it.
The list someone posted that had High Violet dead last?? Why you even listen to National, bro??

I was super late to the National game, so HV is what put them on the radar for me after neglecting to check out Boxer and Alligator per a friend’s recommendation, for years straight.  (Dumb.). That being said, HV will always have a special place in my heart and take me back to a specific time in my life where I was wrapping my head around the mystique of the band’s sound.  It really is a special album.

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I was super late to the National game, so HV is what put them on the radar for me after neglecting to check out Boxer and Alligator per a friend’s recommendation, for years straight.  (Dumb.). That being said, HV will always have a special place in my heart and take me back to a specific time in my life where I was wrapping my head around the mystique of the band’s sound.  It really is a special album.

Same here, I've obviously gone back and listened to Boxer and Alligator since then but I think I still like  HV & TWFM  more than the others. This new one could become my favorite though, we'll see.  I like SWB too but not as much as the previous two. 

that makes sense that you would bump the introductory albums or albums that reeled you in towards the top.

musically, 2002-2006 was the most formative time of my life (college years) so i definitely have alligator/boxer at the top of mine.

it's crazy thinking back to what seeing the national was like back then (in ireland) before they absolutely blew up.

2 hours ago, fondfarewell said:

I know they’re annoying for many reasons, but is there any evidence they are actually harmful if not in direct contact with the record (e.g. most picture discs)?

Yes, they ALL “outgas.”

The gas goes right through paper and cardboard, and will damage the playing surface of the record over time.

The gas even goes through poly lined inner sleeves, but slower.

I had a “new” Simply Vinyl album that had this damage, and there is no correcting it. 😣

Just don’t use them.

6 minutes ago, Paddy said:

that makes sense that you would bump the introductory albums or albums that reeled you in towards the top.

musically, 2002-2006 was the most formative time of my life (college years) so i definitely have alligator/boxer at the top of mine.

it's crazy thinking back to what seeing the national was like back then (in ireland) before they absolutely blew up.

With my post in mind, HV may be edged out by Alligator or is at least tied with it.  Even if that album came out before I was officially on the National hype train, I can’t deny that it’s basically a perfect record.

13 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I first discovered the National when Pandora played it in my Nick Cave or Tom Waits channel. It was a song off of Cherry Tree and I stopped what I was doing to find out who the hell it was. I couldn't believe I'd never heard of them before. The first full album I got was High Violet and for this reason it will always slightly edge out Alligator and Boxer.

On another note, I still can't bring myself to listen to the new one again. To me, it's not a National album and I need to find my way past that and just think of it more as a duet record or something. I will probably enjoy it someday. I'm still only recently beginning to enjoy SWB a bit more.

9 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Seeing them in the small clubs for the Alligator/Boxer years is a trip given where and how they play now. 

Just now, lexicondevil said:

On another note, I still can't bring myself to listen to the new one again. To me, it's not a National album and I need to find my way past that and just think of it more as a duet record or something. I will probably enjoy it someday. I'm still only recently beginning to enjoy SWB a bit more.

At least give some tracks another try, I'm finding as i listen back to them on recommendation from this thread, i'm finding more and more i like.

• quiet light
  • oblivions
  • the pull of you
  • i am easy to find
  • hairpin turns
  • light years

arguably an album with 6 great tracks is a decent album in anybody's (but the national, i guess) catalog.

6 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I first discovered the National when Pandora played it in my Nick Cave or Tom Waits channel. It was a song off of Cherry Tree and I stopped what I was doing to find out who the hell it was. I couldn't believe I'd never heard of them before. The first full album I got was High Violet and for this reason it will always slightly edge out Alligator and Boxer.

Just because there's other vocalists? 

26 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

Yes, they ALL “outgas.”

The gas goes right through paper and cardboard, and will damage the playing surface of the record over time.

The gas even goes through poly lined inner sleeves, but slower.

I had a “new” Simply Vinyl album that had this damage, and there is no correcting it. 😣

Just don’t use them.

I only keep them when they are printed (only example I can think of other than this is Mars Volta), but will have to store them separately I guess. Thanks. Agree they are a bad choice. 

14 minutes ago, Paddy said:

At least give some tracks another try, I'm finding as i listen back to them on recommendation from this thread, i'm finding more and more i like.

• quiet light
  • oblivions
  • the pull of you
  • i am easy to find
  • hairpin turns
  • light years

arguably an album with 6 great tracks is a decent album in anybody's (but the national, i guess) catalog.

I will give it more listens. I think part of it is my current listening rotation is heavy on Bay Area thrash. I will probably come back to this in a month.

11 minutes ago, veggiecorecords said:

Just because there's other vocalists? 

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of albums that have a lot of vocal guest spots. It's a strange thing that bothers me, like when I get a new hip hop album and I see all of the guests I just feel like I bought this to listen to the main artist, not all of these other people. I do like the sound of the singer on the first(and more?) track. I would probably buy an album by her.

7 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I do like the sound of the singer on the first(and more?) track. I would probably buy an album by her.

Gail Ann Dorsey. For some reason I get Ben Gibbard/Death Cab vibes when she comes in on "You Had Your Soul With You" 

"I have owed it to my heart, every word I've said
You have no idea how hard I died when you left"

59 minutes ago, Paddy said:

first time i saw the national was 2007 when they opened for Arcade Fire's Neon Bible tour. what a double bill if you look back at that now. i hadn't heard of the national at that time, but did download (illegally i must say) alligator at the time hoping i could enjoy the opening band a bit more, as I do in most shows.

i remember from mistaken for strangers, matt was recalling the early days of the band when they would be playing free shows in tiny clubs in the city and still nobody would show up. i'm so pleased that this band has come such a long way since with their craft.

Edited by iameasytofind