PO Now: The National - I Am Easy To Find

They haven't had a bad album after their debut. Some songs may be weaker. If you're cynical, I guess you could call it filler. But I can't think of a popular group/artist thats had as good of a run for as many albums as The NTL have had the past 15 years. 

30 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

They haven't had a bad album after their debut. Some songs may be weaker. If you're cynical, I guess you could call it filler. But I can't think of a popular group/artist thats had as good of a run for as many albums as The NTL have had the past 15 years. 

Radiohead

Yo la tengo

Dinosaur jr

Malkmus and the hicks

Spoon

Just a few that come to mind that should be in discussion of popular artist with great runs of late 

1 hour ago, youspinmeround said:

Radiohead

Yo la tengo

Dinosaur jr

Malkmus and the hicks

Spoon

Just a few that come to mind that should be in discussion of popular artist with great runs of late 

Agree with the bands...buuut

radiohead and the ntl are NOT on the same level

i just have a feeling they’re (or maybe Matt) are trying too hard to be cool or art hip for this LP

17 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

I will continue to try and find something special about this record. Hopefully I do. Gave it another listen at work but started half way through, @Kanye West must have a different version of this album than I do because I was immediately greeted with minutes of filler/electronic/atmospheric ambience. That's fine if that's you're thing, just not something I'd go out of my way to listen to.

I'm curious what song you started halfway through with because I don't hear any filler/electronic/atmospheric ambiance - just good songs. Maybe you do have a different version of this album. 

2 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

@veggiecorecords Her Father In The Pool, the 8th track on a 16 track album (aka the middle of the album), which is followed by one straight forward song then 2 that are almost 7 minutes long.

Nice try though, pal.

Why they gave those tracks a freaking title blows my mind

they’re indiscernible from each other 

I’d rather have 2 minutes of Matt’s brother belching and then crushing beer can’s into his forehead than that 

51 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

@veggiecorecords Her Father In The Pool, the 8th track on a 16 track album (aka the middle of the album), which is followed by one straight forward song then 2 that are almost 7 minutes long.

Nice try though, pal.

Track 8 is 1 min long, not sure where you’re getting minutes of ambience from. 

1 hour ago, batman said:

Track 8 is 1 min long, not sure where you’re getting minutes of ambience from. 

Plenty of slow pace jamming in the other two song I had mentioned. Like I said, I was working at the same time, not sitting completely still in a dark room paying the utmost attention to the music. Not sure why you guys are dissecting my comment to the bitter end, but right on lol.

7 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Plenty of slow pace jamming in the other two song I had mentioned. Like I said, I was working at the same time, not sitting completely still in a dark room paying the utmost attention to the music. Not sure why you guys are dissecting my comment to the bitter end, but right on lol.

Maybe National fans are trying to compete with Pearl Jam and Tool fanbases and therefore must dissect everything

For the VC trogs:

Rambo opinion different.  Opinion = discussion.  Want to understand perspective.

For anyone who wants to read:

Well, I think it’s because Rambo’s voiced, some pages ago and numerous times, that the album is too boring or experimental or whatever.  And that’s cool.  Just because he’s not a fan, it shouldn’t mean that he has to sit out from discussion.  “Negative Nancies” get an opinion just as much as anyone else, even if they’re not glowing about the record.  It’s a bummer that some people aren’t enjoying the album as much as others, but it’s to be expected.  You can’t please everyone with every release, especially with one that’s as “adventurous” as IAETF (in terms of guest spots, vocals, etc.). Rambo is entitled to make claims that the album is noisy and ambient and obtusely experimental, and find it questionable that any of us hear a colorful, engaging record.  And, proportionally, I think the rest of us are entitled to enjoy the record and question where all this chatter of ambience and snail-pace progression is coming from.  It’s about understanding more of his perspective, where he’s coming from, and how he’s concluding that the album is as dry as he’s claiming it is.  No one is going to magically convince him to enjoy the record.  But similarly, his assumption that the album is so dense and boring that it requires a focused listen in the dark, isn’t going to detract from what it brings to the table for me.  There’s a disconnect there and it opens up a platform to discuss varying opinions instead of just nodding in agreement or echoing the same praise / complaints endlessly.  That’s why posts are happening.

Edited by Derek™

53 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

For the VC trogs:

Rambo opinion different.  Opinion = discussion.  Want to understand perspective.

For anyone who wants to read:

Hide contents

Well, I think it’s because Rambo’s voiced, some pages ago and numerous times, that the album is too boring or experimental or whatever.  And that’s cool.  Just because he’s not a fan, it shouldn’t mean that he has to sit out from discussion.  “Negative Nancies” get an opinion just as much as anyone else, even if they’re not glowing about the record.  It’s a bummer that some people aren’t enjoying the album as much as others, but it’s to be expected.  You can’t please everyone with every release, especially with one that’s as “adventurous” as IAETF (in terms of guest spots, vocals, etc.). Rambo is entitled to make claims that the album is noisy and ambient and obtusely experimental, and find it questionable that any of us hear a colorful, engaging record.  And, proportionally, I think the rest of us are entitled to enjoy the record and question where all this chatter of ambience and snail-pace progression is coming from.  It’s about understanding more of his perspective, where he’s coming from, and how he’s concluding that the album is as dry as he’s claiming it is.  No one is going to magically convince him to enjoy the record.  But similarly, his assumption that the album is so dense and boring that it requires a focused listen in the dark, isn’t going to detract from what it brings to the table for me.  There’s a disconnect there and it opens up a platform to discuss varying opinions instead of just nodding in agreement or echoing the same praise / complaints endlessly.  That’s why posts are happening.

I've never been shamed into liking an album (yet) ;)

the UK 180 gram black pressing is pretty dead quiet , i'll keep that one . still boring imo.  i'm also not impressed by the mixing on the new LP whatsoever. the instruments are not prominent and the noise level on tracks very, which is weird

just put on the clear 180 gram pressing of TWFM - it's almost like a different freaking band .