PO Now: The National - I Am Easy To Find

• 3 weeks later...

Another Cherry Tree related question -- apparently my membership lapsed, and I didn't realize. I guess they sent out details about a secret show in Chicago this Friday, would someone mind PM'ing me the details if you got that? I'd be very appreciative. I just re-upped my membership, but not sure they'll send out anything else in regard to it.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

inb4 “still $22 too expensive 🥴

I still fuck with this album and think it’ll be a nice brush stroke to the complete canvas offering that is The National, when it’s all said and done.  Would I want 2 or 3 more albums done in the same vein?  No.  But the variety is welcome and it undoubtedly The National at its core.  That becomes more and more apparent with each revisit for me.

This isn’t their best album but it’s an album recorded by a band that is the best they’ve ever been. The amount of music power they generate from small flourishes and the confidence to shelve one of their defining traits (Matt’s voice) for long stretches is some strong artist flexing. SWB and this one are also their best sounding records as far as getting the whole band to sound live and warm, IMO. My criticism is the interludes and my own personal lack of enjoyment of the opening track and lead single. I always start the album at Quiet Light, although the guest vocal bridge/break on the opening track is A+.