PO: The Get Up Kids - Problems

11 hours ago, scottheisel said:

Man, normally I’m not one to complain about the production of an album, but this one sounds like total ass. Like, I spun it on my turntable and legit thought my stylus was worn out, then I played it on Spotify and realized that no, it’s just mixed very poorly.

Agree. It appears whoever either mixed and/or mastered this applied way too much saturation on the mix bus or master. The high hats and cymbals are so shrill it's hard to listen to. I kept listening all the same and the songs, for the most part, are great TGUK songs. I just wish the mix/master was approached differently. 

Edited by troymess

8 minutes ago, troymess said:

Agree. It appears whoever either mixed and/or mastered this applied way to much saturation on the mix bus or master. The high hats and cymbals are so shrill it's hard to listen to. I kept listening all the same and the songs, for the most part, are great TGUK songs. I just wish the mix/master was approached differently. 

It is wild how poor it sounds. Like, lots of people had to listen to this final master, right? How did this get by the band? How did this get by PV? 

1 hour ago, scottheisel said:

It is wild how poor it sounds. Like, lots of people had to listen to this final master, right? How did this get by the band? How did this get by PV? 

Exactly. Someone in the TGUK camp (friends, family, label, studio engineer) should have said, "is this REALLY what you want?" I get that saturation/driven signal path gives a track some liveliness, but this is over the top and takes away from what are some decent songs.

15 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

Have you guys hear the previous record? There are some bands aiming for bad sound on purpose for some reason like thursday post war all the time... So i think this was well discussed and liked. 

ACBTLD followed WATT, and the production on that album is universally accepted as a meme.  Or at least its weakest point.  Everything afterwards seemed fine – their 2011 swan song had it dialed in, especially.

7 minutes ago, museummouth said:

It's fucking emo music.

Wait, what does that last sentence have to do with anything though?  Regardless of the genre, if it sounds like butt it's going to detract from the listen.  Whether that's a "serious" listen to an artsy album with headphones in the dark, something heavy you're blasting on cheap earbuds in the gym, or an upbeat album that's playing in your car around town... cheap production will do it no favors.

(As a disclaimer, I haven't listened to this yet.)

25 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Wait, what does that last sentence have to do with anything though?  Regardless of the genre, if it sounds like butt it's going to detract from the listen.  Whether that's a "serious" listen to an artsy album with headphones in the dark, something heavy you're blasting on cheap earbuds in the gym, or an upbeat album that's playing in your car around town... cheap production will do it no favors.

The production is...not great. I never take anything museummouth has to say too seriously though.

52 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I just meant it as the genre isn't really known for things having the best production. Most classic emo albums sound awfully recorded. 

Hmm, this production bit is confusing. I think it sounds solid. Drums are pretty pronounced but it’s a good performance so what’s the big deal? 

I’ve listened to this album six or seven times and have not once thought anything negative about the production. 

To me,  this is down the most listenable get up kids album front to back… And I’ve been a fan since like four minute mile. 

3 hours ago, thetrackt said:

To me,  this is down the most listenable get up kids album front to back… And I’ve been a fan since like four minute mile. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but anyone saying this is absolutely nuts.

Nah, it's pretty basic really. I think the album as a whole flows better than much of what they have done in the past. They sound like they are having fun even though it still has emotional undertones. To me, the older stuff just sounds so overwrought (except for maybe  On a Wire) and as a 36 year old I am not looking to be bummed out anymore so I rarely put on those records .

Guaranteed Matt Pryor cringes at most of Four Minute Mile and at least half of the tunes on Something to Write Home About. Anyway, These new songs have life in a way that I haven't heard in any of their jams for a while. I have been really enjoying the catchy choruses, the Reggie-esque Moog sounds and the more indie rock sound in lieu of the whole emo thing. That is why I keep returning to these tunes and feel that this is a strong record. 

7 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

I just tried listening again. Jesus Christ, this production is City By The Light Divided levels of fucked. It blows my mind that the clipping and distortion doesn't register for some people.

This is actually just super savvy marketing to ensure that a 10-year remaster will be impossible to pass up.

Alright so I listened to this for the first time today on earbuds while I was away from home and didn't notice anything wrong with it, then I came home and threw it on again with my headphones and was astounded at how bad it sounds. I mean I like the songs, but....

genuinely what the fuck were they thinking