PO: BARONESS - All Sales Are Final!

Looks like the folks fulfilling these orders may not know about media mail, which blows my mind. They say they're using 'standard shipping' which I take to mean retail ground. Same delivery date range as media mail, but starts at $7.35. I'm astounded.

Edited by MachoHommeRandallSauvage

Just came across a UK store that sells a colored version of the album for £24.99. Color is unspecified, but I placed an order regardless, since I missed out on the ones that were offered on the Baroness site. Apparently, this is a UK indies exclusive:

https://www.crashrecords.co.uk/product/baroness-gold-grey-cd-album-or-coloured-vinyl-lp-pre-order/

Rough Trade has a ltd. edition for sale as well (probably the same one), and their website states it's limited to 2500 copies:

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/music/baroness-gold-and-grey

Not sure it's been posted but here's the tracklist

1. Front Towards Enemy
2. I'm Already Gone
3. Seasons
4. Sevens
5. Tourniquet
6. Anchor's Lament
7. Throw Me an Anchor
8. I'd Do Anything
9. Blankets of Ash
10. Emmett - Radiating Light
11. Cold-Blooded Angels
12. Crooked Mile
13. Broken Halo
14. Can Oscura
15. Borderlines
16. Assault on East Falls
17. Pale Sun

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, hainspoint said:

anybody know what the deal with switching off is? trying to figure out whose turn it will be Friday in NYC

They alternate. I went to the show in Sayreville and Deafheaven closed the show. Looking at the rest of the dates it looks like Baroness is closing your show.  

The show waa incredible. I like both bands equally but the place really cleared out after Baroness. It was nice to see Deafheaven in a half empty smaller venue. Last time I was them was in a sold out Brooklyn Steel. Enjoy!

When I saw them with Deafheaven like 70% of the crowd left after Baroness finished. Sad that everyone just went to see an hour of standard fair anthemic rock (the likes of Foo Fighters with more solos) instead of staying for heavenly transcendence. Oh well, lucky for me and everyone who stayed!

Edited by tetsuodaironman

6 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

When I saw them with Deafheaven like 70% of the crowd left after Baroness finished. Sad that everyone just went to see an hour of standard fair anthemic rock (the likes of Foo Fighters with more solos) instead of staying for heavenly transcendence. Oh well, lucky for me and everyone who stayed!

Did a hipster from Williamsburg, Brooklyn ghostwrite this comment for you?

6 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

ouch...never really understood the appeal to Baroness myself, stop caring about them alltogether after the Blue album. 

19 minutes ago, BeerMonger said:

ouch...never really understood the appeal to Baroness myself, stop caring about them alltogether after the Blue album. 

That’s the proper cutoff.  Unpopular opinion around here, but the streak leading up to and through Blue is ace and holds up well for me.  Everything after hasn’t exactly been my cup of tea, but there are some cool concepts strung out here and there.  Definitely wish they’d figure out their production and tone down the anthemic songwriting in exchange for stuff that was a little more complex and jammy, like the Red days.  But to each their own.

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

That’s the proper cutoff.  Unpopular opinion around here, but the streak leading up to and through Blue is ace and holds up well for me.  Everything after hasn’t exactly been my cup of tea, but there are some cool concepts strung out here and there.  Definitely wish they’d figure out their production and tone down the anthemic songwriting in exchange for stuff that was a little more complex and jammy, like the Red days.  But to each their own.

Agreed as usual. I still think the stuff after Blue is fine, but I don't find myself going back to it for any reason. If I want Baroness it's always going to be Blue or prior. That said, I'm picking this up. It again seems perfectly fine, and there may be some real rippers in there. The drum production does seem off to me on that song above though. Everything else seems to be kind of soaked in grit, but the drums are super clean and on top of the mix.

12 minutes ago, drewberinger said:

I think Fridmann’s production on these songs are perfect for what the band wants to achieve - very dirty and raw

I hear “tinny” and “weak” - especially in the guitars - more than anything else, I don’t know.  I’m all for dirty and raw production, but to me that’s something like the last Nails record.  This is more like circa 2001 Apple earbuds.