PO: BARONESS - All Sales Are Final!

8 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Tell him that you were bamboozled by the production and that you were led to falsely believe the album would sound serviceable on speakers.

Yeah, I pretty much just said, "Hey, these tracks have some of the worst production I've ever heard. Any possible way I could cancel this order because this album is going to be terrible."

12 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Yeah, I pretty much just said, "Hey, these tracks have some of the worst production I've ever heard. Any possible way I could cancel this order because this album is going to be terrible."

Really curious how this goes over.  Honestly, I'm in the mindset that if we're talking strictly about pre-orders, there should be zero interrogation over your reasons to cancel.  A return and refund?  Sure.  Inquire away.  I think that if they shoot you down you can probably just go the PayPal route anyway.

These tracks haven't really wowed me but I'll at least be giving the album an open-minded listen – or as much of one as possible – if not solely because it's the end of the color saga.  Not expecting anything to wow me but if I lower my expectations enough, maybe it'll be manageable.

I get that production is very much an artistic choice, and most of us aren't in a band or have any grounds to tell Baroness how to release the music they want to release.  But it's pretty wild seeing the waves of Facebook / Youtube / Instagram comments that seem genuinely unhappy with the production choices.  It's odd (but amusing) to imagine Baizley scrolling through them all and just shrugging.

7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Really curious how this goes over.  Honestly, I'm in the mindset that if we're talking strictly about pre-orders, there should be zero interrogation over your reasons to cancel.  A return and refund?  Sure.  Inquire away.  I think that if they shoot you down you can probably just go the PayPal route anyway.

These tracks haven't really wowed me but I'll at least be giving the album an open-minded listen – or as much of one as possible – if not solely because it's the end of the color saga.  Not expecting anything to wow me but if I lower my expectations enough, maybe it'll be manageable.

I get that production is very much an artistic choice, and most of us aren't in a band or have any grounds to tell Baroness how to release the music they want to release.  But it's pretty wild seeing the waves of Facebook / Youtube / Instagram comments that seem genuinely unhappy with the production choices.  It's odd (but amusing) to imagine Baizley scrolling through them all and just shrugging.

Yeah, the paypal thing was my plan if they don't let me cancel. I have no desire to get it and then resell that shit, and if it somehow turns out to be a huge banger I can always pick up a black copy down the line somewhere or a repress.

Another thread where people are complaining about production? Cool, I’ll see myself out...

But, before I do- I read an article that was basically like the mix supposed to be hot as hell. 

https://www.revolvermag.com/culture/baroness-john-baizley-chaos-and-secrets-gold-grey-cover-art

Its supposed to be challenging, noisy, loud and over-the-top because that’s what this album is about. Uncontrolled chaos.

This is is not an oversight, and like it or not it is an intentional way they wanted to color these songs. 

Im stoked. 

3 minutes ago, thetrackt said:

Its supposed to be challenging, noisy, loud and over-the-top because that’s what this album is about. Uncontrolled chaos.

What you’re describing sounds like Converge or maybe 90% of what Ballou masters at God City.

These singles are not that.  Instead of “challenging, noisy, loud, and over-the-top”... I’m definitely hearing “brittle, muffled, clipped and under-128-kbps”.

Stoked you’re stoked though.  I want to be hyped on this but I’ll  turn in my badge as a Baroness superfan, I guess.

That same bullshit excuse was used for A City by the Light Divided. Maybe that was the intent, but the product is not that. I love challenging, noisy, and over-the-top. I have a ton of records in my collection that challenge the listener from an artistic standpoint.  You can have chaos, brutality and dynamic range. In fact you need dynamic range to actually have the chaos and punch resonate.

This is just shitty production.  As Derek said, it's brittle, clipped, and in my opinion it actually lacks any impact because its a one-note over-saturated clipped shit-show.

This reminds me of the second letlive album. That record was laughably crushed as a "creative decision", but then some studio guy ended up posting one or two rejected mixes that weren't, and the Pro Tools of it really came through clear as day. The clean tracks didn't have the energy the first record or the shows did. On one hand, that's not really a good excuse, but on the other, if you finish a record and it ends up sounding super lame, I guess it's a way around that. Hides Melodyne abuse (on vocals at least) really well. 

• 4 weeks later...

I crunched the numbers; butt rock at 96 kbps comes out to about 48 kbps per cheek.

I did not listen to the album yet but probably should if I intend to keep ribbing the band.  I bet the stream’s comments are riddled with complaints on social media, if I had to guess.  Should be a good read for later on.

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I crunched the numbers; butt rock at 96 kbps comes out to about 48 kbps per cheek.

Hide contents

I did not listen to the album yet but probably should if I intend to keep ribbing the band.  I bet the stream’s comments are riddled with complaints on social media, if I had to guess.  Should be a good read for later on.

I made it through 3 songs of the stream before I just gave up.