PO: BARONESS - All Sales Are Final!

On 4/11/2019 at 2:21 PM, ZeroNowhere said:

Ha, yeah.  The singles are terrible.  I've really questioned if I like this band any more and I have a solid answer after hearing the new stuff.  No, I don't.  I feel dumb for PO'ing this record, especially at close to $40 shipped. 

They should totally do a tour with Stryper.  Yellow and Black attack combined with Gold and Grey!  What a sick tour concept.

Do you love the likes of Foo Fighters? If your answer is yes then Baroness is the bland for you. 

11 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Do you love the likes of Foo Fighters? If your answer is yes then Baroness is the bland for you. 

Few people are aware that 1997’s The Colour and the Shape is the blueprint for Baroness’ discography.  After they wrap up and tour G&G, they’re heading straight back into the studio to begin tracking for Square Album and Triangle Record.

EVERYBODY PILE ON BARONESS!! AKA Nickelback lite hurr durrr! :P

Are people seriously preordering  this band's albums and complaining over the new singles 7 YEARS after Yellow & Green came out??  That's rich!  Also, suckers! Or maybe flippers...B) Hah.

Haters coming out the woodwork to blast a band that has only gotten more popular with every release.  Love it, and I guess that's to be expected.   Baroness rules.  Comparing them to the Foo Fighters is hilarious btw.

Also, I don't think the band has lost anything with regards to complexity  ('Seasons' for example).  The rhythm section is tight as a mug, and the new female guitarist shreds.  Bring on the hate.

EVERYBODY STOP THE NEGATIVITY!! AKA no discussion or opinions hurr durr! :P

Are people seriously preordering this band's album in hopes that they'll stop being mediocre after 7 YEARS??  That's rich!  Also, delusional!  Or maybe gluttons for disappointment...B) Hah.

Longtime fans participating in the thread to blast a band that has only gotten more watered down and radio accessible with every release.  Love it, and I guess that's to be expected.  Baroness are okay.  Comparing them to the Foo Fights is hilarious btw.

Also, I can't seem to grasp that a single's technical riff  ≠ complex or interesting songwriting ('Birthing' for example).  The production is kinda' balls, but at least the new female guitarist shreds.  Bring on the hate.

2 minutes ago, OU818 said:

Is radio accessible still an insult in 2019 or did you copy and paste that from 2012

lol

Well that’s up to you, to be honest.  It’s not really an insult if you are personally into cheesy ass anthems and basic butt rock power chord progressions.  This guy isn’t.

Don’t give a damn  about the naysayers… I’m excited for this record and if anyone is surprised about the direction that Baroness has taken - that’s their own fault. The band has continuously moved away from their earlier sound and are now into more of a progressive territory. If you don’t like it, go away.  Thousands of other people have bought this one and it will likely keep selling, keep getting press and ultimately be a good addition to their catalog. There are still 15 songs to hear and I’m looking forward to each one. 

1 hour ago, OU818 said:

I would if I liked Disturbed? Not seeing the issue

I’m just trying to connect some dots on a correlation here, and determine if a debate is even worth it.  Because there’s absolutely no point in either of us discussing the value or embarrassment of “radio rock” if you’re the type of mouth-breather who says “uh well Papa Roach get plenty of playtime today so clearly they’re doing something right.  Popular music = good music!”

3 hours ago, thetrackt said:

Don’t give a damn  about the naysayers… I’m excited for this record and if anyone is surprised about the direction that Baroness has taken - that’s their own fault. The band has continuously moved away from their earlier sound and are now into more of a progressive territory. If you don’t like it, go away.  Thousands of other people have bought this one and it will likely keep selling, keep getting press and ultimately be a good addition to their catalog. There are still 15 songs to hear and I’m looking forward to each one. 

If you truly didn’t give a damn about naysayers, you wouldn’t need to advise them to “go away”... you do know that, right?  Like Zero, I plunked down $40 on this thing against what is probably better judgement – I have a horse in this race.  I get to have an opinion on the singles released.  And I get to write that opinion out even if it’s not positively gushing.  This shit’s not rocket science.  Instructing negative opinions to cease just snuffs out potential discussion and funnels the thread into one giant circle-jerk.  Knock it off.

Much like you “don’t care” what naysayers may be posting, I don’t care that “thousands of other people have bought this” and may adore the singles so far.  In fact, I hope they do.  I am cool with seeing the band do well – I have nothing against them.  If the album isn’t my cup of tea despite being loved by everyone else and reviewed favorably, I’ll have no problem selling my copy at cost and moving on with my life.  My involvement in this thread would likely cease after I’ve said my peace, and that’s that.

In the mean time I have just as much of a right to post an opinion in this thread as you, Disturbed enthusiasts, and anyone else interested in hearing new Baroness tunes... for better or worse.  Sorry / not sorry.

Edited by Derek™

9 minutes ago, ZeroNowhere said:

To clarify, I bought the record because I liked Purple, which surprised me because I really didn’t like Yellow and Green.  I was interested in this release because I thought the new guitar player might add something rad to the fold because she was a great player when I saw them a few years ago at Download and seemed to add a fun dynamic.  This isn’t clicking for me at all.  Could it grow on me?  Possibly, but highly doubtful.. I think this is a band that I’ve grown away from given their progression from their early albums which I love.  Red and Blue are killer.  

Yeah, those 2 are my favorite as well.  Purple is a far cry from them, sure, but I personally liked it more than Y&G so I figure they could be on an upward trajectory.  15 tracks is a fair handful, and I’m more than willing to accept that a few songs were catered to very much sound like singles.  That’s all good.  At this point the production is more of a concern than anything else for me, but I guess we’ll see.

I too would have some really good records missing from my collection if I sold or canceled everything as a reflex, and didn’t give records a chance to grow on me or reveal their hand after a few plays.  New Baroness will get the same opportunity.  (Not directed at you but) I guess I just don’t see what the problem is with voicing early concerns in a hype thread.

This back and forth regarding how much Baroness sucks/doesn't suck is way over the top. In general, I've liked recent Baroness (not loved).  I've hated the production on this and Purple (seriously Fridmann, I'm done with your bullshit), but I would in no way categorize anything Baroness does as butt-rock or compare them to the Foo Fighters, who, since The Colour and Shape, have gone from meh to "even my dad is bored as fuck."

I love me some roaring Baizley, but I think the band has been fairly successful at exploring sonic areas outside of thrash/sludge metal. They've been way more successful at exploring prog/rock than contemporaries like Mastodon (imo: fuck everything after Blood Mountain). I honestly love Yellow & Green - I think it's an honest and interesting record both compositionally and in terms of production. Purple had some moments, but the production killed it for me. The singles released so far from Gold & Grey have been fine. They're fine... Not great, but by no means bad. I really hope there is something more interesting on the record, but I'm not going to regret pre-ordering.

If I were to rank all things Baroness, this would be my order:

Red

Yellow & Green

First/Second

Blue

Purple

A Grey Sigh in a Flower Husk

Sorry, Blue lovers. That album has some of my favorite songs, but I think the flow kind of sucks as an album.

Edited by throwgncpr

Tons of great points (down to your take on Mastodon) that I totally agree with.  Blue's flow is kinda' weird at moments, I'd agree with that.  I think there are cool components to each of the singles so far but maybe my disappointment should be channeled towards Friedman more than anything or anyone else at this point.  I dread the idea of being wowed by a handful of the 15 new songs but forever wondering how good they could sound.

10 hours ago, Derek™ said:

disappointment should be channeled towards Friedman more than anything or anyone else at this point.  I dread the idea of being wowed by a handful of the 15 new songs but forever wondering how good they could sound.

I really wish people would focus more on this, and less on what Baroness is writing. I REALLY don't get why artists gravitate toward Fridmann, and I cringe every time I see him announced alongside bands I adore. There are multiple records that I definitely ponder what they could sound like with a different producer. Purple is pushing the boundaries of what I can tolerate. Thank everything holy he didn't fuck up Every Country's Sun. I'd be murderous.

Edited by throwgncpr

1 hour ago, throwgncpr said:

They've been way more successful at exploring prog/rock than contemporaries like Mastodon (imo: fuck everything after Blood Mountain). 

Wh what what? Crack the Skye is solid, and I actually enjoyed Emperor of Sand a decent bit. Seemed like a bit of a return to form for Mastodon. Still not amazing, but pretty good. Leviathan will still forever be the high point of their career though 

Just now, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Wh what what? Crack the Skye is solid, and I actually enjoyed Emperor of Sand a decent bit. Seemed like a bit of a return to form for Mastodon. Still not amazing, but pretty good. Leviathan will still forever be the high point of their career though 

I stand by what I said. My wife enjoys Crack the Skye. I shoot her the stink eye every time she puts it on...

Just now, throwgncpr said:

I stand by what I said. My wife enjoys Crack the Skye. I shoot her the stink eye every time she puts it on...

Haha! I can imagine. Seeing it live turned me around quite a bit to that album. When it came out I couldn't really get into it.

6 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

Thank everything holy he didn't fuck up Every Country's Sun. I'd be murderous.

Wait, Friedman handled ECS?  Wow.  I had no idea.  It sounds nothing like his usual work – the idea of a mega tinny, flat sounding Mogwai record is appalling to me on several levels.

When I was younger and a lot more naive, I thought production was a really dumb thing for elitists and contrarians to complain about.  "If the songwriting is exemplary, who gives a shit how it's mixed?"  And now that I'm older, that exact mentality is the worst case scenario.  Nothing is worse than wanting to enjoy and blare an album that's poorly produced, because no amount of expensive audio gear is going to fix it.  And to think it's sometimes a conscious decision by people whose sole income and responsibility hinges on their production choices?  Oof.  The ultimate case of you had one job...

10 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Wait, Friedman handled ECS?  Wow.  I had no idea.  It sounds nothing like his usual work – the idea of a mega tinny, flat sounding Mogwai record is appalling to me on several levels.

When I was younger and a lot more naive, I thought production was a really dumb thing for elitists and contrarians to complain about.  "If the songwriting is exemplary, who gives a shit how it's mixed?"  And now that I'm older, that exact mentality is the worst case scenario.  Nothing is worse than wanting to enjoy and blare an album that's poorly produced, because no amount of expensive audio gear is going to fix it.  And to think it's sometimes a conscious decision by people whose sole income and responsibility hinges on their production choices?  Oof.  The ultimate case of you had one job...

Yeah, Fridmann did Come On Die Young and Rock Action as well, but he was a lot more restrained with compression on his earlier releases. It wasn't until about the mid-2000s that he started cranking everything to 11. I think Every Country's Sun came out good, and I'm sure Stuart had something to do with that. I quite enjoy it, but I can still hear Fridmann's stink on it.

As you said, I don't think people realize how much the producer, engineer, and folks involved in mixing and mastering have on the sound of a band. There are albums that I know have decent songs on them, but I can't listen to them because of the way in which they were produced.

I'd love to hear what Purple and Gold & Grey would sound like in Congleton's hands