PO: The Dear Hunter Boxset (Acts I - V + new album "The Fox and the Hunt")

https://www.caveandcanarygoods.com/collections/the-dear-hunter/products/the-acts-box-set

"It’s difficult to pick which detail I should divulge first, but I will begin by announcing “The Acts”, a comprehensive collection of my band, The Dear Hunter’s record series of the same name. 
I’ve wanted to compile these records into a single collection since the release of Act V, but there was one missing link, which leads to the next part of the puzzle. 
At the time of recording Acts IV and V, I had the privilege to work with Conductor David Moeshler and his Awesöme Orchestra. Prior to our initial recording, I was introduced to the work of the composer Brian Adam McCune, who also works with David as an orchestrator and arranger for the various collaborations and musical experiments of AÖ. 
Brian and I developed an immediate musical kinship, and in discussing the forthcoming recordings, I told him the hope I had of focusing the orchestration/arrangement on a dual purpose—both as a featured element of our albums, and as an isolated listening experience.

This meant writing and arrangement elements that would not be used at the time of Act IV/V’s release—the result of which is “The Fox & the Hunt”. At roughly 57 minutes long, “The Fox & the Hunt” holds a strong tether to its parent pieces, but is meant to be experienced on its own, and we are so excited to share it with you as part of this comprehensive collection. 
While “The Fox & the Hunt” is meant to serve a dual purpose, it was vital that we made this collection feel cohesive- and I am so excited to say we have enlisted the incredibly artistry of Nicky Barkla, who painted the covers of Acts IV and V.

While the visual side of this musical story has always been a top priority, Nicky’s work represents a different level of inspired creation that was vital to incorporate in the albums which predates her involvement, and so, she has created 3 new covers for Acts I-III, building upon the inspired intrigue and beauty she brought to Acts IV and V.

With that, the collection finally feels complete, and of a singular identity. I look back on these 5 albums in disbelief of the journey I have taken- and it has been due, in no small part, to the loving ear you have all lent to this music, and my band."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu4Jj5AnOFG/

Edited by dapeebs

1 minute ago, backpackoat said:

Maybe I'm daft and am just not understanding the post, but is The Fox supposed to act as Act VI? The way it's worded makes it seem as if it may be entirely orchestral and regardless it seems strange to send a six-act series with an album without the chronology in it. 

Essentially it seems like it closes out the story that the Acts are meant to be telling but can be taken on its own as well? The wording is definitely weird, and make it seem like it'll loosely connect to the Acts world but be more like that solo orchestra album that Casey released a couple years ago. 

2 hours ago, backpackoat said:

Maybe I'm daft and am just not understanding the post, but is The Fox supposed to act as Act VI? The way it's worded makes it seem as if it may be entirely orchestral and regardless it seems strange to send a six-act series with an album without the chronology in it. 

Casey has said Act V was the end of the rock album representation of the story and Act VI wouldn’t be a music album.

5 hours ago, Buffbloom said:

I'm not a big fan of boxes that aren't designed to look good on a shelf.  Remember when the Dance Gavin Dance boxset came out and it was $50?

Still can’t believe that.  I feel like it wasn’t that long ago, but in the “vinyl cost” world it feels like a lifetime ago.  Like... I can’t even fathom a 6xLP box set coming out for less than $150 today.  How the fuck did they even do that?

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Hot take: the Acts dip hard after Act III.  The back half have their moments but let’s be real for a second.  Also gonna’ pretend Migration just never happened.

this was my opinion for a long time but i gotta say i'm super super super into act V. i think my ranking is odd and probably doesn't jibe with anyone else's but it probably looks something like III > V > II > I > IV. it amazes me how disappointing IV was given how strong "a night on the town" was.

also i absolutely do not need this and my wife will kill me but fuck it. you only live once and you only die at the hands of your wife once

35 minutes ago, Rip said:

Still can’t believe that.  I feel like it wasn’t that long ago, but in the “vinyl cost” world it feels like a lifetime ago.  Like... I can’t even fathom a 6xLP box set coming out for less than $150 today.  How the fuck did they even do that?

Because at that time purchasing records wasn't as popular yet.  So labels/artists sold records at reasonable cost so that they would actually sell and were STILL able to make money.  Now that records are the "In" thing, labels are capitalizing on the demand and prices are skyrocketing.  Getting way out of control if you ask me. But if you want the album on vinyl, what other option do you have? 

Yes, I understand that pressing plants have raised their manufacturing prices due to the high demand of records these days.  But it has not increased so much to justify such an exponential rise in what they are charging the customer in the end.  Just my opinion

6 minutes ago, ajborneman said:

Because at that time purchasing records wasn't as popular yet.  So labels/artists sold records at reasonable cost so that they would actually sell and were STILL able to make money.  Now that records are the "In" thing, labels are capitalizing on the demand and prices are skyrocketing.  Getting way out of control if you ask me. But if you want the album on vinyl, what other option do you have? 

Yes, I understand that pressing plants have raised their manufacturing prices due to the high demand of records these days.  But it has not increased so much to justify such an exponential rise in what they are charging the customer in the end.  Just my opinion

Your logic isn't wrong but even at the time that DGD boxset was priced questionably low.  A lot of people wondered if it was a pricing error since it seemed too good to be true, especially since similarly sized boxsets easily went for $100+ at the time.  I think the only thing that's been comparably price – to the point of head-scratching and asking "hold on, what?" – was that Garth Box from last week.

12 minutes ago, chamb117 said:

this was my opinion for a long time but i gotta say i'm super super super into act V. i think my ranking is odd and probably doesn't jibe with anyone else's but it probably looks something like III > V > II > I > IV. it amazes me how disappointing IV was given how strong "a night on the town" was.

also i absolutely do not need this and my wife will kill me but fuck it. you only live once and you only die at the hands of your wife once

Definitely an interesting ranking, I'll give you that.  Night on the Town was a fun single, you're right.  I only gave Act V a couple of thorough listens at most so maybe I don't have the utmost authority to speak about their discography as a whole.  I will say that the Act V tracks sounded very awesome in a live setting, when I caught them opening.

34 minutes ago, ajborneman said:

23 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Your logic isn't wrong but even at the time that DGD boxset was priced questionably low.  A lot of people wondered if it was a pricing error since it seemed too good to be true, especially since similarly sized boxsets easily went for $100+ at the time.  I think the only thing that's been comparably price – to the point of head-scratching and asking "hold on, what?" – was that Garth Box from last week.

My question was kind of rhetorical.  But Derek nailed it anyways.

2 hours ago, chamb117 said:

Well, if you recall, the deluxe version of act 3 had demos at the end of it. A Night on The Town was one of those demos. Act 4 and 5 were written and recorded at the same time. I think that song was so good because it was written during that phase.