PO: The Dear Hunter Boxset (Acts I - V + new album "The Fox and the Hunt")

1 hour ago, freezeflash said:

I wish those who are lifetime members can get a discount on this bad boy. $190 shipped is a bit steep but I'll probably bite later this week.

They sold through over 800 of them in a day.  It might not be around later this week.

I'm hoping this will get a second press at some point as I don't think I'll be able to swing it before it sells out.

4 hours ago, ethanpricington said:

Jesus Christ.  If the wife and I hadnt planned big vacation later this fall that we're saving for, I'd be on this in a heartbeat. Adulting sucks. Why couldn't I just be single and living at home with my mom still? I'd be so filthy rich. 

Nah, you'd just blow all your money on fancy box sets. 

On 3/11/2019 at 9:41 PM, Derek™ said:

Definitely an interesting ranking, I'll give you that.  Night on the Town was a fun single, you're right.  I only gave Act V a couple of thorough listens at most so maybe I don't have the utmost authority to speak about their discography as a whole.  I will say that the Act V tracks sounded very awesome in a live setting, when I caught them opening.

i definitely recommend revisiting it. i did not like act V, like, at all when i first listened to it. i thought the entire endeavor had fallen flat with IV, and V did nothing to convince me anything had changed.

but i listened to it more and, fuck, it is so, so good. there are a few songs that drag, and "a beginning" is kind of a dud to me, if it truly is the finale of the series. but otherwise some of the tracks -- mr usher (which i HATED but now LOOOOVE), the march, light, melpomene, the moon, the most cursed of hands -- would all rank pretty high on my all-time list of act-specific songs. so... as someone who feels like he went through what you went through, i say, give it another earnest chance

23 hours ago, andrewlucas said:

Well, if you recall, the deluxe version of act 3 had demos at the end of it. A Night on The Town was one of those demos. Act 4 and 5 were written and recorded at the same time. I think that song was so good because it was written during that phase. 

you say "if you recall" as if i recall, which i do not! i had no idea about those demos. act III came out in, what, 2009? which was right about when i was too cool to buy CDs anymore but not cool enough yet to buy vinyl (i don't think it was pressed at this point anyway). i'm gonna have to hunt these demos down

but, you're right, that does make a lot of sense

Edited by chamb117

I asked if "The Fox and the Hunt" would be released separately since many of us probably own the acts already, this was his response:

caseycrescenzo

@betteronvinyl I don’t have an answer, and not for lack of thinking about it. First and foremost, it’s place was as part of this collection, but as Brian and I developed it, it felt like it had its own legs. There are a few videos we are trying to get made for tracks from “The Fox & The Hunt”, and I think the reaction in general will inform us as to what’s best to do with the record outside of the box. I just don’t want to say “yes” only for us to make a judgement call that it’s not the best move- just like I don’t want to say no, have you buy the box set for that reason, and then release it on its own down the line, rendering your purchase of a $180 set of records sort of meaningless (if it was primarily for The Fox & The Hunt).I’m sorry I don’t have a clearer answer.

7 hours ago, pmlevine said:

I asked if "The Fox and the Hunt" would be released separately since many of us probably own the acts already, this was his response:

caseycrescenzo

@betteronvinyl I don’t have an answer, and not for lack of thinking about it. First and foremost, it’s place was as part of this collection, but as Brian and I developed it, it felt like it had its own legs. There are a few videos we are trying to get made for tracks from “The Fox & The Hunt”, and I think the reaction in general will inform us as to what’s best to do with the record outside of the box. I just don’t want to say “yes” only for us to make a judgement call that it’s not the best move- just like I don’t want to say no, have you buy the box set for that reason, and then release it on its own down the line, rendering your purchase of a $180 set of records sort of meaningless (if it was primarily for The Fox & The Hunt).I’m sorry I don’t have a clearer answer.

Probably the most honest answer a musician has ever given. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 7:27 AM, highfives said:

They sold through over 800 of them in a day.  It might not be around later this week.

I'm hoping this will get a second press at some point as I don't think I'll be able to swing it before it sells out.

191 left. hope you were able to grab one. 

• 3 months later...

I'm sure this won't be a surprise to anyone:

BOX SET UPDATE
Hi Everyone,

We were unable to meet our hopes of shipping The Acts by the end of June, and apologize that this message is coming a bit later than it should have. Aside from the typical logistics of putting together a set this large, there are the additional creative hurdles with putting together something that is meant to have cohesion and represent a body of work. It is important to me that this box represents that vision, and in trying to maintain it, we've taken a bit more time than we had initially expected to. 

As someone who is frequently on the other end of long-delayed preorders, I completely understand how anxious everyone is to receive this, and how frustrating the wait can be. So, in the hopes of offering a sort of sonic salve to soothe your preorder blues, we're sending out "Is The Soul Just a Metaphor?" from The Fox & The Hunt to everyone who has preordered The Acts box set.

At the moment, we are looking at September 15th as our projected ship date, but working our best to move that date up and up. Should anything change, we will be sure to let you know.

Thank you all so much.

This came to me as an email. They also posted some artwork as well as a download for that new song in the email so check yours if you want to see those things. 

• 5 months later...

Did anyone else receive their box set yet? I opened it and it had a jacket inside for Act VI, however, it was empty. I don't remember hearing or seeing anything about them sending everyone who ordered the box set Act VI later down the line. Does anyone know anything about this, or am I missing something?

Just now, Billich0986 said:

Did anyone else receive their box set yet? I opened it and it had a jacket inside for Act VI, however, it was empty. I don't remember hearing or seeing anything about them sending everyone who ordered the box set Act VI later down the line. Does anyone know anything about this, or am I missing something?

There was a whole email with a video about it. It's something CC wants to do, but he wants to do it "the right way" (whatever that truly means). He did mention when/ if it is made, boxset purchasers will get some sort of discount.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, highfives said:

My biggest fear is this pressing isn’t as good as the ones I sold.

I've never heard the originals, only previous on vinyl I have is Amour, so far I've cleaned through all the records and listened to Fox & the Hunt, ACT I, and ACT II. All have quite a bit of surface noise which is a bummer as I've bought them to listen too and not just admire. Amour sounded fantastic by the way. The vinyl came out of the box very filthy so hopefully a play thru and another round of cleaning will fix it but just curious what everyone else's experience has been so far.

11 minutes ago, perelandra05 said:

I've never heard the originals, only previous on vinyl I have is Amour, so far I've cleaned through all the records and listened to Fox & the Hunt, ACT I, and ACT II. All have quite a bit of surface noise which is a bummer as I've bought them to listen too and not just admire. Amour sounded fantastic by the way. The vinyl came out of the box very filthy so hopefully a play thru and another round of cleaning will fix it but just curious what everyone else's experience has been so far.

I had the reissues of I-III and first presses of IV & V.  All sounded quite nice.