Thread Title Memes For Messy Elitist Teens

3 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

I miss the old days of VC when members would call for new members to have a temp ban on creating new topics. We need that energy again.

I'm on board. To be fair, I think mods would have had to approve this thread. Juan has said he takes great joy in occasionally approving potential tire fires like this one.

1 minute ago, Gamer1189 said:

I didn't know I was going to be crucified for asking a question. If you think it's dumb or unnecessary then please don't comment. It's really just a question you don't have to be rude about it. 

No need to get defensive or take it personally. It definitely is kind of a dumb question, but getting defensive isn't going to help you in any way.

Just now, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

No need to get defensive or take it personally. It definitely is kind of a dumb question, but getting defensive isn't going to help you in any way.

I'm not getting defensive I just don't know why you have to take time out of your day to be rude to someone. If you think it's dumb you can move on, that's it. If you have nothing nice to say then don't say it at all. I personally like UO that's just me

It sounds to me (and this is probably why people are reacting so strongly) like you're looking to get into the speculative vinyl market, and I've gotta say beyond the ick factor of straight-up asking which records will be out of print soonest, it's just not a great idea in general. Collecting "limited" records for their "value" is a big gamble, and unless you're already knowledgeable and immersed in the hobby, the odds are good that you'll end up stuck with a bunch of records you don't want that you'll eventually dump for a loss. If you want to make easy money flipping stuff, there are probably safer bets out there.

Now, if you're asking because you just want to own something, anything, as long as it's limited: I would honestly just take a step back and ask whether possessing rare items will actually make you happy, or if you're just passively following messages you (and all of us! since birth!) are receiving from our western capitalist society that are telling you that consumption is the highest form of cultural participation. Maybe just think about what music connects with you, and seek out a copy of that music on a format that you think is cool. Some of my favorite and most treasured records are monetarily worthless, yet they bring me more joy than records worth $100+ that I bought to fill out a collection.

Welcome to the boards... I see the welcoming committee has already greeted you!

You've gotten these types of responses for a few reasons:

1. The community doesn't take too well to people that are into records because of their looks/rarity or just to put them on the wall in a frame.

2. There is already an UO thread where all new releases or questions can be asked... HERE'S THE LINK (people don't like duplicate threads as the board is already pretty cluttered)

3. There's a general disdain for UO here as they are for the most part just capitalizing on the record boom with no real effort

My advice in your question... just buy what you would want and what you'd listen to. Records can be pretty, but if you don't like it you'll look at it in a year or two and think to yourself "that was a dumb purchase" (been there)

Cheers

Edited by nardes

1 minute ago, museummouth said:

A $35 record from Urban is not worth the 100 or so instagram likes you’re hoping on getting with it. 

Says the guy with a YouTube channel for records :rolleyes::P

Edited by MachoHommeRandallSauvage

9 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

It sounds to me (and this is probably why people are reacting so strongly) like you're looking to get into the speculative vinyl market, and I've gotta say beyond the ick factor of straight-up asking which records will be out of print soonest, it's just not a great idea in general. Collecting "limited" records for their "value" is a big gamble, and unless you're already knowledgeable and immersed in the hobby, the odds are good that you'll end up stuck with a bunch of records you don't want that you'll eventually dump for a loss. If you want to make easy money flipping stuff, there are probably safer bets out there.

Now, if you're asking because you just want to own something, anything, as long as it's limited: I would honestly just take a step back and ask whether possessing rare items will actually make you happy, or if you're just passively following messages you (and all of us! since birth!) are receiving from our western capitalist society that are telling you that consumption is the highest form of cultural participation. Maybe just think about what music connects with you, and seek out a copy of that music on a format that you think is cool. Some of my favorite and most treasured records are monetarily worthless, yet they bring me more joy than records worth $100+ that I bought to fill out a collection.

Love this answer thank you. I'm actually someone who just likes music of all kinds so getting any record really is nice to me. I just wanted to treat myself because I know UO (Idk anywhere else but if you want to let me know I'd like that) has a lot of limited runs of records so I would like to get my hands on them before they're gone since I have the money to now. It makes me happy because of BOTH the music and rarity as part of the hobby :)

34 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

Best places for vinyl records, in order:

1. Urban Outfitters

2. Bed, Bath & Beyond

3. Jersey Mike’s

4. NYC street corner steamed hot dog stand

The only thing that would make this joke funnier is replacing "vinyl records" with vinyl".

Edited by Saxonjulin

9 minutes ago, nardes said:

Welcome to the boards... I see the welcoming committee has already greeted you!

You've gotten these types of responses for a few reasons:

1. The community doesn't take too well to people that are into records because of their looks/rarity or just to put them on the wall in a frame.

2. There is already an UO thread where all new releases or questions can be asked... HERE'S THE LINK (people don't like duplicate threads as the board is already pretty cluttered)

3. There's a general disdain for UO here as they are for the most part just capitalizing on the record boom with no real effort

My advice in your question... just buy what you would want and what you'd listen to. Records can be pretty, but if you don't like it you'll look at it in a year or two and think to yourself "that was a dumb purchase" (been there)

Cheers

I appreciate you thank you! I guess I won't ask again and I also think this is why vinyl enthusiasts get such a bad name because they are snobby and gatekeeping the hobby unfortunately. Again, appreciate this comment cheers! :)