[PO Soon] Russian Circles - Blood Year

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Revisiting the Live! Dunk album out of hype. Anyone else love that they’ve made the Afrika to Harper Lewis transition a staple of their live sets?  It’s so good.

Yeah that was good, I also liked the 309 to Harper Lewis transition too. Though a month ago they transitioned another song into HL (I can't remember which)  because I remember thinking to myself that I'd never seen them play 309 in it's entirety with the drum outro aside from YouTube videos.

On 3/28/2019 at 1:04 PM, mrewest said:

$27 shipping for 2 of those Tests?????  WTF

I ordered 4 tests yesterday and got an email saying 1 was out of stock. I asked about the high shipping costs and they refunded me for the test that was out of stock and $40 worth of shipping. In the end I’m getting 3 tests shipped for $14.

On 3/28/2019 at 1:18 PM, ethereal said:

Test pressings of all RC albums except Geneva are available through SH:

https://sargenthouse.com/test-pressings

(also some other cool non-RC TP's)

I think I posted this before, but good to see SH is posting Station TP as REJECTED. Re: new listeners to RC, after Enter, Station languished on the shelves FOREVER because the masses wanted Enter part II... and Station wasn't that. Even Geneva couldn't cure the doldrums, but Empros seemed to bring in a bunch of new listeners, and finally a new opener (309 instead of Carpe), then Station sold out and prices skyrocketed.

OK, that tangent aside, I saved this email as a perennial favorite, when my Station copy arrived as rejected. That time it was 'make an offer' not set prices, so instead of sending it back, Dan refunded me 50% LOLOLOL on the bold and underlined portions. Enjoy! :D

Tue, Sep 13, 2016, 1:19 PM

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

Hey Donald,

Glad you got the test pressings! So, basically the way test pressings work are that the band members, producer(s), label, and maybe a few select others get a copy so that they can give the thumbs up or thumbs down to before the record goes out for mass production. I don't have an exact count on any of these, as I don't know what the bands and producers received, but I do have a count of what was in Sargent House's inventory. 
-Empros - 12
-Station - 5 round 1 "rejected" 
-Enter - 5

As far as Station is concerned, if you received the "rejected" test pressing, you received an extra treat! For whatever reason, the band decided that wasn't the version they were going to press. It could be for a master transfer issue, clarity of the vinyl, the test pressing just sounding different than what they had envisioned, an anomaly in the pressing process, etc. So, your test pressing is unique and slightly different than the released record. 

Thanks, Donald! 

Best,
Dan

• 1 month later...

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I removed my first Like so I could give you a second one.  About time, goddamn.

Been waiting on this. Listened to all their material except for Guidance, and gotta say they are awesome. Don't think any of their material tops Enter for me though.

Edited by dapeebs

2 hours ago, dapeebs said:

Listened to all their material except for Guidance

Any reason you haven’t made it to Guidance yet?  Just taking your time with everything else?  That album is a doozy. It still does it for me.

2 hours ago, zaoza said:

Ahha thanks Derek. Just got a notification on my FB history that the first teaser for Guidance was on 17th May 2016, and Guidance was released 5th August 2016. Expecting more or less the same release date for this new one.

A May-to-August wait would be rough to do again but I’ll take what I can get either way.  Hoping we get a studio release of the new track that they’ve been touring, come Tuesday.

8 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Any reason you haven’t made it to Guidance yet?  Just taking your time with everything else?  That album is a doozy. It still does it for me.

Was busy with work and school, just haven't gotten to it yet. These releases are definitely the kind I liked to sit down and enjoy rather than have on in the background as I do with most post rock/metal bands. 

What would you say your ranking is of the albums? My least favorite was probably Station.

15 hours ago, dapeebs said:

Was busy with work and school, just haven't gotten to it yet. These releases are definitely the kind I liked to sit down and enjoy rather than have on in the background as I do with most post rock/metal bands. 

What would you say your ranking is of the albums? My least favorite was probably Station.

Station is killer once you establish the heavy-light-heavy-light flow that it keeps through the album, in my opinion.  Tough to rank their discography for me, but lately I think Memorial has to be near the bottom.  They’re are certainly more rewarding to give a focused listen, you’re right there.

On 5/18/2019 at 2:48 PM, Derek™ said:

A May-to-August wait would be rough to do again but I’ll take what I can get either way.  Hoping we get a studio release of the new track that they’ve been touring, come Tuesday.

From Brian’s tumblr, according to him it’s going to be out first week of August and confirms the title is Blood Year.

https://bubblesandgutz.tumblr.com/post/184562015177/hi-brian-any-idea-when-blood-year-is-going-to-be

8 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Station is killer once you establish the heavy-light-heavy-light flow that it keeps through the album, in my opinion.  Tough to rank their discography for me, but lately I think Memorial has to be near the bottom.  They’re are certainly more rewarding to give a focused listen, you’re right there.

I gotta go back to it but Station kinda stuck out to me as a "safer" album than their other releases. Don't get me wrong, it was still really good, but didn't really seem like they deviated from the same sound from beginning to end. They're definitely the first "post" band in a while to capture my attention fully while listening. Hopefully they announce a tour date close-ish to me, I bet they sound HUGE live.

4 hours ago, dapeebs said:

I gotta go back to it but Station kinda stuck out to me as a "safer" album than their other releases. Don't get me wrong, it was still really good, but didn't really seem like they deviated from the same sound from beginning to end. They're definitely the first "post" band in a while to capture my attention fully while listening. Hopefully they announce a tour date close-ish to me, I bet they sound HUGE live.

If you ever get to hear the song “Station” live, not only will you probably enjoy the album more (plus Harper Lewis is an all-timer”), but you’ll see just how huge they can sound live.  Probably my favorite RC song I’ve seen live to date.

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

If you ever get to hear the song “Station” live, not only will you probably enjoy the album more (plus Harper Lewis is an all-timer”), but you’ll see just how huge they can sound live.  Probably my favorite RC song I’ve seen live to date.

Usually the closest date to me for these type of bands is usually somewhere in NYC. I'm hoping for a good lineup because I loathe going into the city. Always thought seeing an instrumental band live would be boring but I saw Caspian open for Minus the Bear last year and was blown away. Definitely hoping I get to check these guys out in a cool live setting.

14 minutes ago, dapeebs said:

Usually the closest date to me for these type of bands is usually somewhere in NYC. I'm hoping for a good lineup because I loathe going into the city. Always thought seeing an instrumental band live would be boring but I saw Caspian open for Minus the Bear last year and was blown away. Definitely hoping I get to check these guys out in a cool live setting.

What’s the drive time for you, into the city?  If I don’t luck out with a Sacramento show here in CA, it’s 3-4 hours into San Francisco which is always brutal – I hate dealing with the city and traffic – but often worth it.  (Especially with friends and good company on the road.)  One thing I’ll say is that RC are undoubtedly worth catching live.  Each member has their craft down so well, and it’s a real treat to witness in person.  I’ve caught the band with coworkers and friends who casually listened to them, but left blown away.  “I think I finally get Russian Circles” is a sentiment I’ve heard voiced more than once.

I’m glad you caught Caspian too, I think they’re fantastic live.  One of my favorite bands to convert “instrumental skeptics” over with.  The genre lends itself nicely to live performances, and can be a lot more captivating to anyone who’s on the fence about listening to albums sans lyrics.  Caspian tickets are usually so cheap I just buy a second and encourage a friend to attend if their schedule allows it.  Have yet to hear of anyone leaving disappointed.

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

What’s the drive time for you, into the city?  If I don’t luck out with a Sacramento show here in CA, it’s 3-4 hours into San Francisco which is always brutal – I hate dealing with the city and traffic – but often worth it.  (Especially with friends and good company on the road.)  One thing I’ll say is that RC are undoubtedly worth catching live.  Each member has their craft down so well, and it’s a real treat to witness in person.  I’ve caught the band with coworkers and friends who casually listened to them, but left blown away.  “I think I finally get Russian Circles” is a sentiment I’ve heard voiced more than once.

I’m glad you caught Caspian too, I think they’re fantastic live.  One of my favorite bands to convert “instrumental skeptics” over with.  The genre lends itself nicely to live performances, and can be a lot more captivating to anyone who’s on the fence about listening to albums sans lyrics.  Caspian tickets are usually so cheap I just buy a second and encourage a friend to attend if their schedule allows it.  Have yet to hear of anyone leaving disappointed.

I'm only like 2ish hours away from the city by driving or train, but it comes down more to convenience and price. Plus it doesn't help that not many of my friends are avid concert goers/music lovers so unless I drag them to a show I'm usually going to shows stag. I don't mind going to shows alone, but going to the city alone isn't much fun at all. I usually aim to go to shows in more rural areas, even if it adds on a little travel time. Definitely wanna catch these guys live if I can though. It seems like Sargent House bands like to tour together, I'd love if Brutus could make it stateside to tour with Russian Circles. Don't know if you've checked out their latest release, but if they toured together that would be a show I couldn't miss.

Caspian was incredible live. I could tell many of the people who went were there solely for Minus the Bear, but the energy Caspian brought was astonishing. I would never have expected it. Everybody was enthralled for their whole set. Usually opening bands who the audience don't know are not paid attention to but Caspian had everyone's full attention and it was pretty awesome. Definitely looking forward to their next release. 

Edited by dapeebs