[PO Soon] Russian Circles - Blood Year

“Test presses are approved. Now we just have to wait until August so that the vinyl plants and the press outlets aren’t scrambling to do their thing. It’s less atmospheric and more chunky (than Guidance) with more riffs and less ambience”.

https://heavymag.com.au/seeking-guidance-with-russian-circles/

Interesting insight. Didn’t notice this interview has been floating for quite awhile. Few more hours to go and hopefully the first song will be available on spotify by midnight.

14 hours ago, dapeebs said:

I'm only like 2ish hours away from the city by driving or train, but it comes down more to convenience and price. Plus it doesn't help that not many of my friends are avid concert goers/music lovers so unless I drag them to a show I'm usually going to shows stag. I don't mind going to shows alone, but going to the city alone isn't much fun at all. I usually aim to go to shows in more rural areas, even if it adds on a little travel time. Definitely wanna catch these guys live if I can though. It seems like Sargent House bands like to tour together, I'd love if Brutus could make it stateside to tour with Russian Circles. Don't know if you've checked out their latest release, but if they toured together that would be a show I couldn't miss.

Caspian was incredible live. I could tell many of the people who went were there solely for Minus the Bear, but the energy Caspian brought was astonishing. I would never have expected it. Everybody was enthralled for their whole set. Usually opening bands who the audience don't know are not paid attention to but Caspian had everyone's full attention and it was pretty awesome. Definitely looking forward to their next release. 

I love that Sargent House bands tour together. They have a lot of great bands on their roster. The only time I’ve seen Russian circles was a few months ago and they toured with Chelsea Wolfe. Both with full sets. Brutus opened for RC when they toured in Europe last year. Their new album is so damn awesome. I’m really digging it. They have one US date in Austin in nov, and I asked SH if that means there was plans to do a full tour in the US, and they said they said yes that they're still working on logistics and all that before announcing anything. So keep an eye out for that 

Initial impression after 1 play.

I think the track is solid.  The intro is fairly different for the band – I almost get a comically "spooky" vibe from it – but everything clicks into place and the RC hype is in full swing once that chugging begins.  I don't care how many times they play that card – they riff tighter than any other post-metal band in my library and I won't get tired of it.  Any variations of it, I'm on board.  Rest of the track wraps up pretty nicely.  All in all I'd say it does a pretty good job at treading some new ground while simultaneously satisfying what a lot of fans crave in their sound.

16 hours ago, zaoza said:

It’s less atmospheric and more chunky (than Guidance) with more riffs and less ambience”.

Hmm, damn...I thought they found the absolute perfect mixture of ambience & riffs on Guidance!

Nevertheless, I'm such a fanboy....this will probably become my AOTY anyways!

Yeah that song riiiiips.  Whoever said they are each so dialed into their own part was dead on.  The drums, bass & guitars just sound so expertly crafted.

But eff those tour dates.  I don’t know what Cleveland did to piss them off but they haven’t come through here in forever.  And they aren’t going to any other feasible location (Pittsburgh/Columbus).

14 minutes ago, mrewest said:

But eff those tour dates.  I don’t know what Cleveland did to piss them off but they haven’t come through here in forever.  And they aren’t going to any other feasible location (Pittsburgh/Columbus).

It's been about 5 years since they've come through Columbus. Clearly they hate Ohio.