[PO Soon] Russian Circles - Blood Year

After making a hundred posts complaining about variant colors, I felt like I should at least drop in and say that I really dig this album.
Also surprised at first by the length, but that make make it my most likely RC album to pull out and spin. Really good stuff. 

Edited by V3XED

13 minutes ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

I love that one single bell/ride hit in the beginning of "Arluck". Dave is such a creative drummer, it's a pleasure to see him play.

It's all very nuanced, which I like. He plays in the pocket and then just opens up at all the right times. I think that's what I like about this album; it's full of surprises that I keep catching every time I take a listen. I think that's why it doesn't pack as much of a punch as their other records. It's more of a record that, like stated before, makes you sit down and focus in order to fully appreciate.

This album rips (although ‘Arluck’ makes no sense here imo, ESPECIALLY after ‘Hunter Moon’...lacks the atmosphere of the others...but still a good song), my splatter is trash, & the vinyl sounds quality is very muddied, especially compared to Guidance.  I’m spinning Guidance now immediately after Blood Year & it sounds sooooo much better.  The bass really pops on Guidance but is buried on Blood Year.  Also, I still like Guidance as a whole better.  

Early rankings... 

Geneva - Guidance - Station - Memorial - Blood Year - Empros - Enter

4 hours ago, mrewest said:

This album rips (although ‘Arluck’ makes no sense here imo, ESPECIALLY after ‘Hunter Moon’...lacks the atmosphere of the others...but still a good song), my splatter is trash, & the vinyl sounds quality is very muddied, especially compared to Guidance.  I’m spinning Guidance now immediately after Blood Year & it sounds sooooo much better.  The bass really pops on Guidance but is buried on Blood Year.  Also, I still like Guidance as a whole better.  

Early rankings... 

Geneva - Guidance - Station - Memorial - Blood Year - Empros - Enter

I respectfully disagree regarding Arluck, I'm not overly enamoured with the track on its own but in the album it has context... Feels like it's a real slow burn with the first 2 tracks before Milano steps in to melt faces.

It's almost like they released Arluck first to not give too much away...

7 hours ago, Sasan said:

Enter last? WTF?

Sinaia is the killer track!

Enter is great, and it was the entry point, but it's low on my list too. Geneva is by far their best in my opinion. I'm hesitant to rank the others, as I still need to spend more time with Blood Year, but at current it would be toward the bottom for me.

10 hours ago, Sasan said:

Enter is easily in my top3...which wouldn't contain Geneva... :D Musical tastes, man :D

Ranking a Russian Circles album last is like ranking pizza.  Even your least favorite pizza is still fucking pizza & is incredible haha.  It’s more the ending of Enter which is full of songs I never go out of my way to listen to.

12 hours ago, mrewest said:

Ranking a Russian Circles album last is like ranking pizza.  Even your least favorite pizza is still fucking pizza & is incredible haha.  It’s more the ending of Enter which is full of songs I never go out of my way to listen to.

Ain't this the truth. Geneva is 2nd to last for me. And top two are Guidance and Empros. 

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, Paddy said:

for those interested, RC have live at dunkfest at the merch table at their current shows for $40. considering this discogs at about $70 from outside the US, it's a decent deal.

I bought this when it came out originally and I don’t remember it being too pricey. And this was repressed like a year ago so to see those discogs prices is insane, but for those that don’t have this release make sure you get it because it’s so good. 

2 hours ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

I bought this when it came out originally and I don’t remember it being too pricey. And this was repressed like a year ago so to see those discogs prices is insane, but for those that don’t have this release make sure you get it because it’s so good. 

i do want to clarify that the point of my post was not "get it cheap and flip it on discogs", it was more "hey it's cheaper at the merch table than you can find it anywhere else" so go get it.

edit: not that you were implying the former.

Edited by Paddy

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

i do want to clarify that the point of my post was not "get it cheap and flip it on discogs", it was more "hey it's cheaper at the merch table than you can find it anywhere else" so go get it.

edit: not that you were implying the former.

It’s all good, I didn’t take it that way. 

1 hour ago, PigeonsPlayingWhatNow said:

Seeing them Wednesday for the 2nd time and I couldn’t be more excited. The venue isn’t the biggest either. Definitely at least 2-3x smaller than the venue I saw them at in 2013 with BTBAM and Coheed. Any prints at the merch table?

5th time seeing them, first time they've come to RVA! (live in Hampton Roads area).

They usually do DC and RDU area, skipping RVA, so we always go the 3 hrs to RDU. It's so much easier to get in and out. especially since always a week night and I have to work the next day. Easily top 5, maybe top 3, live acts for me, lifetime - and I'm ancient. They don't usually bring a ton of merch - we'll see Wed if any prints.

Enter>Station>Geneva>Empros (309 supplanted Carpe as the opener during this tour and was a mind-blowing experience)> Memorial=Guidance=Blood Year

Blood Year will likely rise after seeing them Wednesday. Grabbing some Veil before the show if any left from can release day tomorrow.