Technics SL-BD20 - Should I replace the stylus or get a new cartridge?

First off, hey all - I'm new!

I recently found a Technics SL-BD20 turntable for $5. I realize this is not a special table, I understand that it doesn't hold a candle to most setups. I just want to start off with this and I'll buy something nicer down the road if/when I become more serious about my record collection.

So this table clearly needs a new stylus, however it has the Audio Technica DR150 cartridge right now. I've been assessing options and I've had difficulty finding thorough information on the quality of this cartridge, so I want to know - should I keep it and get a new stylus or would there be a better cartridge option?

I've never heard of that cartridge, but if you can find an inexpensive replacement stylus it's probably an easier way to dip your toe in, rather than swapping in a new cart. Also, since you need a p-mount cart for the Technics you probably wouldn't be able to swap it to a better turntable down the road. Most nicer turntables don't use p-mount.

• 5 months later...

The ATDR150 looks to just be the same "generic" cartridge AT used for pretty much all of their p-mount stuff. Any needle from the "213" family will work.

http://thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=213&SearchType=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Audio+Technica&Categories=

Any of those will work, just don't get the "4213-D3" since it is meant for 78's.