PO: Titus Andronicus: An Obelisk (Out 6/21 & Produced by Bob Mould)

On 4/2/2019 at 11:18 AM, shamrocks said:

its a shame.  Grievances and Monitor is one of the great 1-2 punches of the last decade. Everything since has been borderline unlistenable. That single sounds pedestrian and ordinary, certainly not worth 3000 words in stereogum.

agreed, I couldn't make it through the whole video for the new song.  I might still buy it, but nothing they've done has compared to Grievances and The Monitor.

Edited by kyacrash

The last 3 albums have all been slow burners that I didnt even like at first but ended up loving. I'm hoping this is different and love at first listen, I dunno what to expect after the last album and new single though. Ordered in blind faith anyway.

Also, Local Business > Airing of Grievances

3 hours ago, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

The last 3 albums have all been slow burners that I didnt even like at first but ended up loving. I'm hoping this is different and love at first listen, I dunno what to expect after the last album and new single though. Ordered in blind faith anyway.

Also, Local Business > Airing of Grievances

to each his own

I could see Local Business and Productive Cough being divisive but it's a head scratcher that Most Lamentable Tragedy is not universally loved. The six songs on Side 2 alone comprise the best sequencing in TA's catalogue IMO. Maybe it's the overall length of the record that drags this down for folks?

6 hours ago, jerseypride said:

I could see Local Business and Productive Cough being divisive but it's a head scratcher that Most Lamentable Tragedy is not universally loved. The six songs on Side 2 alone comprise the best sequencing in TA's catalogue IMO. Maybe it's the overall length of the record that drags this down for folks?

I think it's the length for sure. Side 2 is perfect but I think it starts a bit slow and then slogs around side 5. Since the Monitor every other record seems to be a left turn, so with A Productive Cough being the last left I have really high hopes this one will be better received. 

14 hours ago, shamrocks said:

to each his own

What a low effort reply lol. What is it that's so unlistenable about Local Business? It's not as good as The Monitor and tries a different thing yeah but its definitely the same band and doesn't sound terribly different. What makes it unlistenable? Is it the uncomfortable eating disorder centerpiece of the album? The lead single not a good choice? Odd lyrics referencing Diharrea Planet?

Not trying to be defensive I just think its generally unfair the flak this band seems to get after The Monitor. 

yeah good question. i just couldnt get into them and i loved the first two and just felt extremely let down by Local Business. Its possible that clouded my opinion on the next two albums because i didnt give them much time but just never felt it, so to speak.

Im going to relisten to them all and maybe the growth that was needed was mine and not theirs.

54 minutes ago, ✦ S U N S H I N E ✦ 日 光 ♡♡ said:

What a low effort reply lol. What is it that's so unlistenable about Local Business? It's not as good as The Monitor and tries a different thing yeah but its definitely the same band and doesn't sound terribly different. What makes it unlistenable? Is it the uncomfortable eating disorder centerpiece of the album? The lead single not a good choice? Odd lyrics referencing Diharrea Planet?

Not trying to be defensive I just think its generally unfair the flak this band seems to get after The Monitor. 

Local Business doesn't get a fair shake because it came on the heels of the Monitor, which set a disgustingly unattainable standard. LB has grown on me tremendously over the years (though I've always enjoyed it). 

Funny story, a few of the songs on the new record were played at the last Titus gig I saw in October.

At the time Stickles claimed they were covers taken from a 1980 compilation of Bristol UK bands called "Working Class Blokes." After the show, I couldn't find anything online about such a comp. Now I know why.