Official CAVE IN Thread: Now Signed to Relapse! New Record Soon! Reissues!

I've been listening to Cave In since the Crossbearer 7" came out (yikes, getting old) and was fortunate to catch two of the December shows at Vitus. I'm really into the new song, tbh probably more than into any on Final Transmission. Should be a good record. I also can't wait to see those reissues. Very curious whether they will drop them all at once or stagger the releases. One of my greatest record-collecting regrets is not picking up Beyond Hypothermia on vinyl.

5 hours ago, jhulud said:

Time to stress every time this thread gets bumped as I will think that the PO has popped and we all know how Relapse is with PO's and their site handling the traffic. 

Frustrated Annoyed GIF - Frustrated Annoyed Angry - Discover & Share GIFs

This keeps me up at night....and I'm really hoping for some decent variants. Solid colors would such a nice change of pace. Relapse is out of control!

On 1/7/2022 at 9:28 AM, youspinmeround said:

Relapse will also be reassuring the back catalog on vinyl so time to fill in those gaps

I mean, I have the albums that mean the most to me already, but I'd like to get a reissue of antenna and pitch perfect black.. didnt realize how much those go for right now

On 1/15/2022 at 3:34 PM, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I mean, I have the albums that mean the most to me already, but I'd like to get a reissue of antenna and pitch perfect black.. didnt realize how much those go for right now

Pretty sure they said Antenna is one they can't and won't be reissuing, which is too bad. Many want it now. 

Man am I glad I got that when I did. I saw them when they toured with Every Time I Die (RIP) and they were blowing them out 20 for the LP + a shirt I think and I got it signed by the whole band. Too bad Capital wont let them reissue it since they could make a few bucks off it rather then just letting it sit. 

I really like their first album and have never really listened to much besides that and Beyond Hypothermia. I try to get into Jupiter every few months but it still does nothing for me. Going to have to skip that one and see if I enjoy any after that. The Sacrifice Poles album is pretty good. 

Edit: skipped through a bit of White Silence and that stuff is pretty cool. 

Edited by Bronchitis

33 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I really like their first album and have never really listened to much besides that and Beyond Hypothermia. I try to get into Jupiter every few months but it still does nothing for me. Going to have to skip that one and see if I enjoy any after that. The Sacrifice Poles album is pretty good. 

Edit: skipped through a bit of White Silence and that stuff is pretty cool. 

Soak yourself in a deep, dark room and lie down comfortably in a chair before you immerse yourself in the grandness that is Jupiter! Hopefully that’d do it haha!

30 minutes ago, brandy said:

Soak yourself in a deep, dark room and lie down comfortably in a chair before you immerse yourself in the grandness that is Jupiter! Hopefully that’d do it haha!

Oh yeah. I need to just throw it on front to back one of these days and see if that helps instead of just listening to random songs. The way people talk about it makes me feel like I should love it.

Antenna is an interesting turning point in Cave In's discography. At the time it came out, it turned off a lot of old fans because the record was trying very hard to appeal to a wider audience. Because that's what you're supposed to do when you are on a major label. It was supposed to be Cave In's Glow On--they did a late show appearance, they played festivals, they released singles. But then when record sales didn't meet the label's expectations, they got dropped like a hot potato. (At that time, selling 100K units was considered a failure I guess. I remember that number being bandied about.) And it seemed like the band went through a phase of real disillusionment and took a while to recover artistically. Long story short, it was a disappointment.

But here's the thing--Antenna really *is* a great record. Sure, there's a lot of streamlined verse-chorus-verse songwriting by old Cave In standards, but it also has a lot of great hooks. Joy Opposites and Youth Overrided alone make it worthwhile digging into this thing. I don't think that all of Cave In's discography is equally worth celebrating. Naturally there've been some relative duds. There are some songs on Antenna that I feel pretty lukewarm about. But I've definitely come around big time to Antenna as a whole and it's cool to see that this is very much a shared sentiment these days. 

1 hour ago, ParallelofDeath said:

Antenna is an interesting turning point in Cave In's discography. At the time it came out, it turned off a lot of old fans because the record was trying very hard to appeal to a wider audience. Because that's what you're supposed to do when you are on a major label. It was supposed to be Cave In's Glow On--they did a late show appearance, they played festivals, they released singles. But then when record sales didn't meet the label's expectations, they got dropped like a hot potato. (At that time, selling 100K units was considered a failure I guess. I remember that number being bandied about.) And it seemed like the band went through a phase of real disillusionment and took a while to recover artistically. Long story short, it was a disappointment.

So funny in retrospect that it was deemed a failure. Same thing happened when Poison The Well released You Come Before You on Atlantic. It's an incredible record and sold really well compared to the previous two.........yet Atlantic deemed it a failure and dropped them.

It’s the eternal story of when alternative / underground bands get snapped up by the majors and don’t sell “enough” records. 

I recently watched this doc that takes a look at that very thing. Although it’s mostly focused on 90’s bands & some from early 2000’s, it’s crazy to see what a lot of them went through & got screwed over when on major labels. Highly recommend the doc.